Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
No thanks I will keep the current itunes.

you crazy.

----------

In a way I'm not. I felt like it had potential they just didn't go far enough. They should have opened it up to all artists, TV shows, movies, books. On the music side brought in the features from lala.com. They could have eventually moved it into the web with the iCloud shared photo streams etc. perhaps even created a kind of homepage instant website function where folks would have their journals, streams, reviews, shared playlists even twitter and Facebook statuses as 'widgets'

But instead they basically stopped before it got started

Let's get one thing straight: Ping never had an ounce of potential. Ever.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Looking forward to these, hope the damm "problem" with itunes asking for password/login apple id everytime i open its fixed :)

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunes is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 player shouldn't use that much memory.

why bother with itunes then?

im sure you can find many light mp3 players out there.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Based on what law? None. If they wanted to make two totally different versions they can and will

I never said it was the law, but consumers expect it since has been that way since it was first released. Apple needs to keep that field level in order to sell to Windows users. It would be foolish to think that Apple can convince even a majority of their iOS device users who use iTunes to move to the Mac.

ETA: It also mostly worked that way for other products that Apple made for Windows - Quicktime, Safari....

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Ecoute is the best lightweight player on the Mac and iPhone:
http://pixiapps.com/home/

Thanks! I'll give this a go.

I typically use Vox and have it set as my default media player since the memory usage on it is RIDICULOUSLY low (10-15mb). The problem with it is that it doesnt have a library.

I would use Enqueue, but its somewhat buggy but has great potential to knock out iTunes. The developer also screwed the UI with some changes when it was looking great.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Wrong.

It was *NEVER* designed for iPods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundJam_MP

Umm, yes it was... Read the following excerpted from your link (Bolding added by me):

In early 2000, Apple wanted to purchase MP3 player software for use with Apple's desktop computers. Apple sought meetings with both Panic and Casady & Green. Caught up in negotiations with AOL, Panic was not able to set up a meeting with Apple.[2] Turning instead to Casady & Greene, Apple purchased the rights to the SoundJam MP software in a deal covered by a two-year secrecy clause.[3]
Working as employees of Apple, Robbin, Kincaid and Heller continued to develop the software which would become iTunes.[3] All three continue to work at Apple; Robbin is the lead developer of iTunes.[4][5]
On January 9, 2001, Apple debuted iTunes 1.0 to the public. Curious Macintosh users immediately began poking through iTunes' resource fork, where they discovered numerous strings and other resources that indicated iTunes was a re-engineered SoundJam MP.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunes is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

Then simply don't use iTunes. Enough alternatives out there, e.g. Sonora, Enqueue, Vox, Fidelia, Audirvana, Cog, Ecoute, Songbird etc.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Thanks! I'll give this a go.

I typically use Vox and have it set as my default media player since the memory usage on it is RIDICULOUSLY low (10-15mb). The problem with it is that it doesnt have a library.

I would use Enqueue, but its somewhat buggy but has great potential to knock out iTunes. The developer also screwed the UI with some changes when it was looking great.

Essentially Ecoute reads your iTunes library database. No reimporting anything and no need for iTunes to be open. The developer is giving away this version for free while he works on the next.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
In a way I'm not. I felt like it had potential they just didn't go far enough. They should have opened it up to all artists, TV shows, movies, books. On the music side brought in the features from lala.com. They could have eventually moved it into the web with the iCloud shared photo streams etc. perhaps even created a kind of homepage instant website function where folks would have their journals, streams, reviews, shared playlists even twitter and Facebook statuses as 'widgets'

But instead they basically stopped before it got started

It had potential, but face it, Ping ended up sucking. I wished it was gone after I first saw it in iTunes.

I don't know anyone who used it. I thought the idea had potential, but Apple botched it. It's just plain annoying, and it comes across as more of a gimmick to get you to buy more iTunes Store music. I think Apple could have done a good job with it, but I wouldn't use it anyway since I don't really care what my friends listen to. Most of them listen to terrible, terrible music or decent but somewhat boring stuff like the Black Keys, and I listen to music of genres that aren't really produced anymore, so it wouldn't be useful to me.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
It had potential, but face it, Ping ended up sucking. I wished it was gone after I first saw it in iTunes.

I don't know anyone who used it. I thought the idea had potential, but Apple botched it. It's just plain annoying, and it comes across as more of a gimmick to get you to buy more iTunes Store music. I think Apple could have done a good job with it, but I wouldn't use it anyway since I don't really care what my friends listen to. Most of them listen to terrible, terrible music or decent but somewhat boring stuff like the Black Keys, and I listen to music of genres that aren't really produced anymore, so it wouldn't be useful to me.

Social networks are overrated. To me it's very synthetic.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
"launch as soon as" - I would rather call it at the very edge of Apples second promise.
Not that I care about iTunes, its a dead dinosaur to me. Thanks to iCloud, Spotify and other good services.

APple is really pushing the limits when it comes to promises, releasedates and delays these days. Would be good for their reputation if actually one release was a bit ahead of time for once.

hydr

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
I want to be able to play & rate music on my iMac connected to my TV from my rMBR. Get on it Apple.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 player shouldn't use that much memory.

iTunes does a great job of being annoying at first and coming across as bloatware with all of its Ping and automatic download junk. Try going into the parental controls and disabling the iTunes Store, Ping, etc and disabling all the extra features like Genius. iPod syncing shouldn't make it more bloated except in file size since it's not running if you don't have one. Before I had an iPhone, I disabled the iTunes Store and Ping, but now I just disable Ping. Of course, you can use an old version of iTunes if your PC supports it.

But a 200GB library :eek: is going to take a lot of RAM just because it has to load the song titles and stuff. That has to be 30K to 40K songs, and each one must take a few kilobytes for the strings and overhead. You can sort items by various criteria, so that's definitely not a simple data structure like an array unless they keep multiple arrays of song pointers, one for each sort method. Considering this, 200MB seems fair.

----------

Social networks are overrated. To me it's very synthetic.

Overrated, yes, but they have potential to make money and do have a few uses. Facebook does have a real purpose I can think of; it's good at managing groups. I hardly use any social networking, just Facebook if I want to ask my friends questions about homework. And I only do that because they use Facebook for messaging instead of something nicer like AIM, which all of my friends used to use.

Last edited:

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
iTunes does a great job of being annoying at first and coming across as bloatware with all of its Ping and automatic download junk. Try going into the parental controls and disabling the iTunes Store, Ping, etc. iPod syncing shouldn't make it more bloated except in file size since it's not running if you don't have one. Before I had an iPhone, I disabled the iTunes Store and Ping, but now I just disable Ping. Of course, you can use an old version of iTunes if your PC supports it.

But a 200GB library :eek: is going to take a lot of RAM just because it has to load the array of song titles and stuff. I've also found that having more RAM makes everything use more RAM proportionately.

My iTunes library was around 3 TB last time i checked and about half of it is music. iTunes works fine here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.