Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Hey all, got an interesting story.

I recently called in to get a replacement iPhone. A very friendly lady gladly went though the process. She took my CC, and overnighted it. She even waived the fee for me. But, this is where the problem starts.

I checked the next day to see if the repair ID was on my support profile, no dice. I remember her giving me a repair ID, so I just called again asking if I could be told it again for records.

"I'm sorry, I don't see a repair in the system. In fact I don't even see a record that you spoke with her."

LOLWUT!? I was like, this has to be a mistake, I litteraly just talked to her.

"Sorry sir, there is no record of this. Infact, I can't even find it in your support profile." She then calls the Shipping department and repair department, and they have no record of anything being sent to me, or any repair. (Remember this, this becomes important.)

So I talked to a Senior Advisor, and we reset up the transaction. While she was doing her thing, I checked my CC online. There was a hold for $699.99. I asked her, you didn't submit this repair yet did you? No, I didn't. Well...I see a hold on my account dated yesterday (when I talked to the helpful woman). I'm like, well I guess the repair went though halfway, and I really don't want a hold on my account that doesn't exist, so can it be removed?

Apple, Bank of America and I were all on a three way. (It is a pretty funny to listen CSR vs CSR. lol)

No problem, that hold was removed. She then finished setting up my repair. This time, I got an email about it and everything, everything that was suppose to happen the first time.

Now it is Monday, I head off to school. I come home, and there is a FedEx note on my door that Apple sent a package and needed a signature. I thought to myself "Well..that was fast". But, I had lots of work and decided I would pick it up tomorrow.

The next day, Tuesday, I got note again saying they need a direct signature. Expected, but this time the FedEx slip said there were TWO packages from Apple. Now I got wondering, WTF did I get sent?

Long story, I go to FedEx, and there are TWO iPhone packages. Both the exact same. I get home, open them up, and sure enough, I have two iPhone 5's. Seperate boxes. One was dated Saturday (the day I called the first time) and one was dated Sunday, the time I called to get everything fixed.

The messed up repair was sent to me, along with the correct repair. The messed up repair has no return label that I can fold off and slap on, the like the correct does.

Other then that, everything is the same. Got the 'Help is here' guide, phone was mint, etc.

So I guess now, since I can't send it back, what should be the right thing to do?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011

I recently called in to get a replacement iPhone. A very friendly lady gladly went though the process. She took my CC, and overnighted it. She even waived the fee for me. But, this is where the problem starts.

I checked the next day to see if the repair ID was on my support profile, no dice. I remember her giving me a repair ID, so I just called again asking if I could be told it again for records.

"I'm sorry, I don't see a repair in the system. In fact I don't even see a record that you spoke with her."

"Sorry sir, there is no record of this. Infact, I can't even find it in your support profile." She then calls the Shipping department and repair department, and they have no record of anything being sent to me, or any repair. (Remember this, this becomes important.)

So I talked to a Senior Advisor, and we reset up the transaction. While she was doing her thing, I checked my CC online. There was a hold for $699.99. I asked her, you didn't submit this repair yet did you? No, I didn't. Well...I see a hold on my account dated yesterday (when I talked to the helpful woman). I'm like, well I guess the repair went though halfway, and I really don't want a hold on my account that doesn't exist, so can it be removed?

Apple, Bank of America and I were all on a three way. (It is a pretty funny to listen CSR vs CSR. lol)

No problem, that hold was removed. She then finished setting up my repair. This time, I got an email about it and everything, everything that was suppose to happen the first time.

Now it is Monday, I head off to school. I come home, and there is a FedEx note on my door that Apple sent a package and needed a signature. I thought to myself "Well..that was fast". But, I had lots of work and decided I would pick it up tomorrow.

The next day, Tuesday, I got note again saying they need a direct signature. Expected, but this time the FedEx slip said there were TWO packages from Apple. Now I got wondering, WTF did I get sent?

Long story, I go to FedEx, and there are TWO iPhone packages. Both the exact same. I get home, open them up, and sure enough, I have two iPhone 5's. Seperate boxes. One was dated Saturday (the day I called the first time) and one was dated Sunday, the time I called to get everything fixed.

The messed up repair was sent to me, along with the correct repair. The messed up repair has no return label that I can fold off and slap on, the like the correct does.

Other then that, everything is the same. Got the 'Help is here' guide, phone was mint, etc.

So I guess now, since I can't send it back, what should be the right thing to do?

The right thing to do is call Apple and explain what happened... But who likes doing the right thing for a multi-billion dollar corporation. ;)

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009

keep the phones, they are yours now ;)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

And it would speak a lot for the OP's character and integrity. If those can be bought for the cost of a replacement iPhone, that really says a lot about them.

It could say something about yours as well, if you would also subscribe to that thought..

Just something to think about.

BL.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Give them one call, and don't spend too much time on it. You shouldn't have to go too far out of your way to correct their mistake. Give them 10 minutes of your time tops. and they better send you a shipping label and setup a pickup. If it takes more effort than that, forget about it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Don't give it to your girlfriend just yet for xmas, u may get a phone call the next few days.

When they call, feint how inconvenient is this for you. Tell them it's their fault. And you want to to do what now? No-no-no-no. I want a $50 gift card for my trouble. SEE!

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Give them one call, and don't spend too much time on it. You shouldn't have to go too far out of your way to correct their mistake. Give them 10 minutes of your time tops. and they better send you a shipping label and setup a pickup. If it takes more effort than that, forget about it.

Exactly what I planned on doing.

----------

Finders keepers. There's no record of one of the phones, so it doesn't exist. ;)

I did think of that, but then again....doing the good thing... lol

----------

Don't give it to your girlfriend just yet for xmas, u may get a phone call the next few days.

When they call, feint how inconvenient is this for you. Tell them it's their fault. And you want to to do what now? No-no-no-no. I want a $50 gift card for my trouble. SEE!

Hahahaha, but I have a $699 gift card sitting right infront of me ;)

I kid, but yeah, they pay for it or I'm keeping it. lol

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Phone them and tell them that all of you tells you to keep it buy you figure to give them a call because you wanted to see what apple would say and you feel bad

Let us know how it goes either way man!

Jayste4

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Almost the same thing happened to me once with a thermarest camping mattress. I returned a defective one to the Seattle factory and they gave me a new one. The very next day a UPS truck showed up with another.
I called them and explained and they emailed me a return label.

Do the right thing and be honest.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Right thing would probably be to send it back to them. But who gives a sh%$. They're like the richest company in the world. blah blah blah. Honestly it doesn't matter to them whether you give it back or not probably, but karma has it's way of getting back to you. So I'd suggest to give it back, if you believe in that crap (karma). Oh yeah, donate some money to those in need, while you send back the iPhone, karma may be really on your side in that case.

TCU

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
Lets keep things in check. Iphones don't just get sent out, and they don't just disappear.

Now'a'days everything is tracked, especially at Apple, ESPECIALLY for a $700 product. And if one day someone there sees you had two phones sent.. they may come looking for one...

Not saying you should take it to them, but keep in mind there's a good chance they'll come knocking, and remember FedEx has a signature confirmation that you picked up the package.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Lets keep things in check. Iphones don't just get sent out, and they don't just disappear.

Now'a'days everything is tracked, especially at Apple, ESPECIALLY for a $700 product. And if one day someone there sees you had two phones sent.. they may come looking for one...

Not saying you should take it to them, but keep in mind there's a good chance they'll come knocking, and remember FedEx has a signature confirmation that you picked up the package.

That's the thing. They don't. They have no record. The shipping department, the repair department, and not even the ticket that showed when I talked to the woman. Also, I forgot to mention the serial numbers are SUPER close together. Someone tells me someone just threw them together, and didn't even bother to check anything.

Also, your post makes it sounds like I stole it or something, lol. Good, they can use my signature all they want. When a product is sent by accident, that is their fault, not the customers. Nobody will come knocking on my door and demanding the phone.

EDIT: The box is expecting my current iPhone to go back in it. I don't think the systems would like a different serial number being sent back would they? I feel as if returning may cause more havick for their systems.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
This sounds just like this one time when I put money in the drink machine and made my selection. To my surprise, two drinks were released in the bin. When I recovered my change I found enough quarters for a whole 'nother drink! Stories like this give me hope that the world can be a benevolent place after all.

What to do with the extra? Unfortunately, you can't just drink it and throw away the container.

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
I would keep one & gift the other to a family member. I wouldn't think twice about it. I would have made no profit off of it and I'd be making someone I care about very happy for Christmas which would make me happy as well. Once in awhile you get lucky like that.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
This sounds just like this one time when I put money in the drink machine and made my selection. To my surprise, two drinks were released in the bin. When I recovered my change I found enough quarters for a whole 'nother drink! Stories like this give me hope that the world can be a benevolent place after all.

What to do with the extra? Unfortunately, you can't just drink it and throw away the container.
Ha, that is a good analogy and you do make a valid point.

----------

I would keep one & gift the other to a family member. I wouldn't think twice about it. I would have made no profit off of it and I'd be making someone I care about very happy for Christmas which would make me happy as well. Once in awhile you get lucky like that.
Ya know, I was thinking of this. My cousin who is just going into junior high has always wanted an iPhone, and they do have Verizon so the phone work perfectly.

Then again, I don't want to cause her issues if Apple does catch up or something. I may lay low, let them come to me. If nothing happens, kinda mention it in a call. If all is good, I want to make sure it is documented somewhere that I was allowed to keep it.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Problem is they have your CC number and the phone obviously has a serial number so when you try to activate it will show up in their system and they might charge you for it. My friend did this same thing kept the phone and had a nice little 900 dollar charge on his card like a month later.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Problem is they have your CC number and the phone obviously has a serial number so when you try to activate it will show up in their system and they might charge you for it.

I doubt that. I am sure they would contact me first. Infact, the hold was removed in the first place. I could just lay low, sell it and let the other person deal, but I am not that type of person.

EDIT: Saw you edited your post. Really? That is quite interesting.

Did he have a repair ID? Did it show as a repair online in his repair status? See, I am not even in the system. It would be hard to track a replacement that 'never happened'.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Problem is they have your CC number and the phone obviously has a serial number so when you try to activate it will show up in their system and they might charge you for it. My friend did this same thing kept the phone and had a nice little 900 dollar charge on his card like a month later.

Painful. If you can't afford to play with fire, don't play with it.

S

syd430

And it would speak a lot for the OP's character and integrity.
BL.

Finders keepers. There's no record of one of the phones, so it doesn't exist. ;)

Right thing would probably be to send it back to them. But who gives a sh%$.

I can't believe I just read through 21 replies and not a single person has pointed out that what the OP is actually doing is illegal. All these posts about character, integrity or karma are completely irrelevant.

OP, call Apple . What you are doing is stealing. I'll very clearly explain why:

1) Although the initial fault lies with Apple, it is absolutely clear that you have received two phones out of error and you are now taking advantage of that by keeping both phones.

2) The law, at least in Commonwealth countries such as Australia, Says that if a reasonable ("common") person ought to be able to identify that the phone was received out of error, then it is up to that person to at least take reasonable steps to try and correct the error. You don't have to go exceptionaly out of your way, but you must, under the law, at least make some effort to return the goods.

EDIT: Here's a few sources that deal specifically with US Law's and precedents:

http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-topics/unordered-merchandise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unjust_enrichment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/joseph-bucci-wells-fargo_n_1540549.html

From the GA law:

It is a different matter if the mailing you received was due to a mistake by the company. In these circumstances, Georgia law regarding “unjust enrichment” obligates you to return the item paid for by another customer. The company, however, will have to pay postage and handling or make arrangements to pick it up.

Also:

Apple being a large corporation with stock controls, conducts many different types of audits at regular intervals, including (obviously) financial and stock/inventory control audits. There is a very large possibility that the a red flag will come up in the future, possibly months ahead, that will notify them that you have received a second phone out of error. It could very easily be picked up somewhere along the audit process. They may not bother to risk the attention by doing anything about it, or they may.

Taken from my other post:

I take it you have no idea what Business intelligence or how firms utilize big data to detect fraud or monitor inventory, so maybe the following sources can help your understanding a little bit better:

http://www.sap.com/corporate-en/news.epx?PressID=19927

"As billions of records are stored and made ready for real-time analysis, users are can make better decisions regarding possible stock outs by adding predictive algorithms to sales data or detect fraudulent activities at the point of sale using the SAP® Loss Prevention Analytics for Retail application. Business users are intended to make better decisions regarding possible stock outs by applying predictive algorithms to sales data, assist store associates with personalized customer engagement to predict their next buy, deliver real-time POS audits and fraud detection and provide physical inventory information."

This of course is mainly referring to POS. But the application is there at the distributor level as well.

Please see here as well:

http://www.sybase.com/analyze/insurance/frauddetection

Last edited by a moderator:

indianboynyc

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
all i read was that apple sent u two iphones and you dont know what to do? :eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:

whats wrong with u? keep them both...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.