Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I'd been messing around with my new 16GB iPad mini Black all day long and hadn't noticed the issue until now (it's in the top right corner, so it was mostly hidden behind the title bar where I couldn't see it).

I opened the Amazon Instant Video app to watch The Hunt for Red October and there it was staring right back at me. The actual glass isn't cracked; it's the underlying screen/display unit. There was no damage to the box, or to the iPad itself, so I don't know how the factory missed this :confused::confused:

img1391w.jpg

img1392kx.jpg

img1393sr.jpg

I'm really bummed because I had to drive 45 minutes one-way this morning to pick it up from the Apple store two towns over. And with the 16GB models being in short stock, who knows when I'll be able to get a replacement :(

JesseJamez

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
To me, that looks like a hair somewhere between the LCD and glass screen. I doubt it's a crack, but if it is, apple will replace it. If its a hair, they will probably replace it as well because iPads are not easy to take apart. If the mini is different than the full size iPads and they can get into it easily, they may be able to open it and remove the hair.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
As of the last few years, Apples quality control is an obscene joke.

My Built To Order 2010, 15" $3145 MBP came out of the box with six deep scratches on the lid, each over 3" long. How they missed those is obvious, no one was looking.

As one who buys lots of Apple gear, this is but one of many examples. From 1991 to 2010 I bought at least twelve Apple laptops, every single one looked brand new out of the box.

Why Apple can't do this in recent times is simple. It's not a priority. They'd rather put the burden on the buyer. Knowing only some will put up with the time & expense of returning their purchase. If you order BTO, one has to return it, wait for Apple to inspect it & issue a credit. Then start all over again.

An experience you'll never forget.

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
they prob won't have a retail box replacement for you.

but will likely suggest a replacement at the Genius Bar, I'm sure they have some on hand from the "whitebox special"

just inspect it well before you leave because if it's considered a Blemish, they usually only give you one exchange for cosmetic reasons.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
they prob won't have a retail box replacement for you.

but will likely suggest a replacement at the Genius Bar, I'm sure they have some on hand from the "whitebox special"

just inspect it well before you leave because if it's considered a Blemish, they usually only give you one exchange for cosmetic reasons.

If its not a new retail box replacement, I'll just ask for a refund. It's not like it was my fault, so I'm not accepting an "open box" unit.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Apple's quality control is horrendous. Made in China.

You won't get an iPad mini off the shelf. You're going to get a new unit in a brown/white box. They're still new though. I got lucky with the genius people. They swapped out my defective 32GB for a 64GB.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA

My Built To Order 2010, 15" $3145 MBP came out of the box with six deep scratches on the lid, each over 3" long. How they missed those is obvious, no one was looking.

As one who buys lots of Apple gear, this is but one of many examples. From 1991 to 2010 I bought at least twelve Apple laptops, every single one looked brand new out of the box.

That's nice for you I guess. I've only started buying Apple stuff since 2008 and the laptops I've picked up in 2008 through 2010 all had a couple of dead pixels here or there. Funny, back then, no one moaned about the cosmetics as much as actually have a real problem before trying to return an item.

I'm not sure if problems are more pronounced now, but people sure are more vocal about them. Just the other day, someone complained about dust. Dust, really? Blow it off and move on with your day.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
Apple's quality control is horrendous.
Apple doesn't manufacture them.
Made in China.
So is everything else.
. I got lucky with the genius people. They swapped out my defective 32GB for a 64GB.
I'm stunned -- after IOS 5.0 bricked my wife's phone and I got a replacement (twice) from the local store I couldn't get them even to bump the replacement to 32GB from 16. Best they could do is offer me a bumper (for a phone that already was in a real case) and let me keep the USB cable I charged the thing on at the store. Sometimes the genius bar handles stuff without hassle, sometimes they completely botch it.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
That's nice for you I guess. I've only started buying Apple stuff since 2008 and the laptops I've picked up in 2008 through 2010 all had a couple of dead pixels here or there. Funny, back then, no one moaned about the cosmetics as much as actually have a real problem before trying to return an item.

I'm not sure if problems are more pronounced now, but people sure are more vocal about them. Just the other day, someone complained about dust. Dust, really? Blow it off and move on with your day.

Blowing dust off under the screen can get a bit tricky.......

Swayzee

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
i agree, looks like a piece of hair under the screen. My ipad mini has a piece of dust under the screen and ive been too busy to go to the store to get it exchanged. Its really annoying considering how much we pay for apple products for quality control to be so horrible.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i suggest u call them first before go in to make sure they have a replacement unit.

Do not let them open it up to get rid of the hair (if thats what it is). Just get a brand new replacement, u are entitled to it.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
They replaced it with brand new in box device. Was quick and painless.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

the quantity they are selling at is no where near the same. so yes they will have some bad apples. but why does there need to be multiple thread after multiple thread and the end result is always apple replaced the unit no questions asked.

Also, why do you have to list the exact dollar amount? as if it should be handled any differently than a $1,500 MBP? BTO comes at a price....you knew ordering if you had any issues it wasn't going to be easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.