Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
There are minor user experience issues with the mini due to its smaller size. I mentioned earlier the back button on safari being close to the tab closer. And yeah the keyboard splitters a little strange now. Note- taking apps need the magnifier now where in the larger ipad it wasn't absolutely necessary.etc etc.

Why wouldn't a designer consider this stuff and adapt to it?
Further, why wouldn't they design to the smaller, newer device to maximize user experience and decrease update frequency and enhance sales?

I give the ipad 2 8 months depending on success of the mini sales.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
i agree
but still, I find a valid contradiction to your 'That's not anything that affects app layouts though.' in that convoluted example :D
Ha, points for creativity, to be sure.

But I still don't think that there is an impact on layout as a result. Even with your example, there's absolutely no guarantee that Apple won't tweak the keyboard in iOS 6.2 or whatever and move the boundaries by 5px and take it out of alignment. You just can't legitimately base your design on something like that.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
There are minor user experience issues with the mini due to its smaller size.
Nothing on the iPad mini is any smaller in touch area than what's on the iPhone, which people use just fine.
Why wouldn't a designer consider this stuff and adapt to it?
Further, why wouldn't they design to the smaller, newer device to maximize user experience and decrease update frequency and enhance sales?
There's nothing to design to. Nothing they tweak for the mini would adversely impact the iPad 2. There is no instance in which the two products would ever merit a different UI. If you design "for" the mini, you're going to be able to use that just fine on an iPad 2. No one loses out.
I give the ipad 2 8 months depending on success of the mini sales.
Give the iPad 8 months for what? Far more likely that you're the one that's going to adapt. Everything you're saying is exactly what people who get new phones with different size screens say for the first few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.