Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donnetrav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Quote from previous post:

"About a week ago, I noticed that Facebook videos would not play on my Power Mac because we have been stuck at Flash 10.1 and the world keeps moving forward. Well, a good soul named Alex Goojvin hacked Flash plugin version 10.2 and it works! See his Youtube and grab the download here."

I recently downloaded Flash 10.1. I really don't know if it is working or not.?
A few months back, I was able to watch "live" games being played on ESPN3. Now suddenly a message pops up telling me to "Upgrade to the latest Flash
Player—which I was unable to do. So I downloaded Flash 10.1. I really don't know if it is working or not. I still can't get "live action" on ESPN3. But, after
watching the You Tube video from "Cooknn" by "Alex Goojvin", I checked my
Library/Internet Plug-ins and it was bare — empty? WTF.

Was I suppose to physically drag the download to the Library/Internet Plug-ins?:confused: I initially dragged the download folder to my "Applications".
Thanks for helping this dumb ass.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Ummm

Regular readers of this forum will note that someone else has posted within the last week, a new hack that reports flash as 11.5, the current release. Just scroll down the page.... but ,Realize:

This is still Flash 10.1 hacked to merely report itself as 11.5. So, not all sites that require a newer version will work with it.

Also, realize that ALL the security vulnerabilites and general poor ass performance of flash on PPC still exist with this hack.

As many many many others have noted you are far better off to uninstall flash and make do with workarounds like html5, click to plugin, mactubes, downloadhelper et all. If that just doesn't work for you, I'd get myself a cheap ass netbook (or that new Acer Sandy Bridge Chromebook for 199, tempted, very tempted) put a lightweight linux on it that still supports up to date flash for my ESPN needs.

donnetrav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Regular readers of this forum will note that someone else has posted within the last week, a new hack that reports flash as 11.5, the current release. Just scroll down the page.... but ,Realize:

This is still Flash 10.1 hacked to merely report itself as 11.5. So, not all sites that require a newer version will work with it.

Also, realize that ALL the security vulnerabilites and general poor ass performance of flash on PPC still exist with this hack.

As many many many others have noted you are far better off to uninstall flash and make do with workarounds like html5, click to plugin, mactubes, downloadhelper et all. If that just doesn't work for you, I'd get myself a cheap ass netbook (or that new Acer Sandy Bridge Chromebook for 199, tempted, very tempted) put a lightweight linux on it that still supports up to date flash for my ESPN needs.

Yeah, but was I suppose to physically drag the download to the Library/Internet Plug-ins? I initially dragged the download folder to my "Applications".

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
Yeah, but was I suppose to physically drag the download to the Library/Internet Plug-ins? I initially dragged the download folder to my "Applications".

Yes. You just drag the file named "Flash Player.plugin" to Library/Internet Plug-ins, as the README file says :)

"
II. INSTALLATION

1. Open the Internet Plug-Ins folder located on the root of the disk (/Library/Internet Plug-Ins)
2. Backup the old Flash Player.plugin making sure you move the old copy out of the Plug-Ins directory!
3. Replace it with the version contained in this archive
4. Restart your web browser"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.