Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What OS did you switch to/come from?

• Windows Phone

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Android

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • Blackberry

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
First off, I love my iPhone, but I've grown up with the Apple experience for a while, and the other appearances are starting to really appeal to me. The only thing that really prevents me from at least *trying* another OS is because I have a lot of investment in the iOS platform. I have a question for those previous and current iPhone owners, what platform did you switch to/did you come from, and how has that changed your smartphone experience. Also, if you're a Mac user/Rely on iCloud, how has your integration with your devices changed for better or for worse? :D

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
First off, I love my iPhone, but I've grown up with the Apple experience for a while, and the other appearances are starting to really appeal to me. The only thing that really prevents me from at least *trying* another OS is because I have a lot of investment in the iOS platform. I have a question for those previous and current iPhone owners, what platform did you switch to/did you come from, and how has that changed your smartphone experience. Also, if you're a Mac user/Rely on iCloud, how has your integration with your devices changed for better or for worse? :D

I switch device often, too avoid these kind of problems I avoid all services that are exclusive to one device like iCloud, I use Google and Dropbox instead. As for purchased apps, I generally do not use paid apps that often so I don't mind making the switch. That said, I usually have 0 problems switching between iPhone and Android.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Went from the iPhone 4 to Android, but switching back next year.

I have found that I really don't rely on any apps in general, so the switch was very easy. I keep everything on my Google account, so my calendars still sync to my Mac/iPad, and of course my Android phone since it's already tied with Google.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Yep, as mentioned above I prefer to use apps for documents, images, music, vids, etc that are OS agnostic. Google docs, calendar, music etc... can be used on any computer, as can Dropbox. I also like that once I make webpage bookmarks in Chrome, it doesn't matter what platform I am on, as soon as I log in to google and have Chrome for my browser, my bookmarks are already there waiting. And of course, all these Google services are free and always backed up automagically.

Buying apps for a platform is something you can't recover. It is money lost if you completely switch platforms. No way around it. But all you itunes content can easily be transferred onto an Android device, simply by plugging it in and clicking and dragging from Mac to phone od Mac to a mini sd card to phone.

And I went from iphone (owned all of them) -> Samsung Galaxy S2 -> Galaxy S3 (S3 is by far the best phone I have ever owned, save for the original iPhone.)

iPad -> iPad 2 -› new iPad -› Nexus 7 (16 and then 32gb versions) iPad 2 was my favorite, because it set the bar very high for Android manufacturers. It took 2 years, but we finally got the Nexus 7 and 10 which I consider the first Android tablets to give a comparable experience as the iPad. I am not referring to any specific OS capabilities, just to overall performance and user interaction with the tablet.

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iPhone 4 to Android and loving it! Haven't considered switching back to the iPhone for any reason. The Note 2 blows away the iPhone 5 for ME, not for everybody, but for me it behaves much more like a computer than a phone, which is what I was looking for. It's managed to be a tablet/netbook replacement for me!

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
iPhone 4 to Android and loving it! Haven't considered switching back to the iPhone for any reason. The Note 2 blows away the iPhone 5 for ME, not for everybody, but for me it behaves much more like a computer than a phone, which is what I was looking for. It's managed to be a tablet/netbook replacement for me!

A lot of people have been doing this and Note 2 sales are way above what was anticipated. Something like 2 million a month and climbing.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Went from android to apple back to android. Invested some dollars on apple but I mean I have an iPad where I can reuse those apps if needed.

At the end of the day I find my self using very little apps and more of just the phone. Jelly bean has won my heart again and unless iOS brings something new to the table in their os department I won't be returning for a long time and just sticking with my 1st gen iPad.

What I did with my old iPhone is turned into and iPod. I use iTunes match to sync my music from the computer use androids mobile hot spot to giving the iPhone WiFi and stream my music into my car stereo :)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I went from iPhone 3g to android but have had other iPhone's and two windows phone handsets in between. I even had a HP pré3 for a while! :D

Having all my stuff on Google Sync has made the change from platform to platform very stone thanks to Google sync support on all devices.

I do like the ability to just swap platforms as I please and don't mind repurchasing any apps I require for any platform.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
iPhone 4 to Android. Transitioned from iCloud to Google and loving it. Google provides a lot more features that sync easily and smoothly between your desktop and phone.

I've spent quite a bit on iOS apps as well but figured those apps will always be there if I come back. In the mean time, I'm not going to keep pouring money into an ecosystem that I'm not enjoying and don't find as useful at the moment.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Apple lost me when they decided to play the slow and incremental update game, both in hardware and software, especially during a time when the competition is learning, growing, and innovating faster.

Also, though I still love my Macs and iPad, I've become disenchanted by Apple as a company lately. Their legal wars, their overpriced products (really wanted to get a 13" Retina MBP but just couldn't justify the mark up; then there's that iPad Mini), and their disingenuous keynotes and marketing really have been turning me off.

Put me down also for 'iPhone to Android.'

mathi-vadhanan

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Socal
To Android.

Moved from iPhone 3G to android ICS with G Nexus. Didn't spend much on Apps and google account sync made the transition smooth. After being used to larger screen devices, I don't see myself going back to iPhone. Just when I was looking to try WP8 google came out with 4.2 and nexus4 and I stayed.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Been with iPhone since the original. Jumped ship to android but always came back.

I always enjoyed the flexibility and freedom of android but I couldn't deal with the buggy laggy software and subpar hardware and build quality. Well that all changed on the software side with jellybean. And now with my nexus 4 the hardware is great.

I am loving it so far! Battery life is very good but not great. If it had excellent battery life and LTE (Although HSPA+ is perfectly fine at this time for me) I would be 100% satisfied.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The fact of the matter is Google is simply rockin' this year. It's no wonder Apple is modeling a work culture after them: http://www.imore.com/apple-offering-select-employees-two-week-breaks-work-their-own-special-projects

"Apple has begun a new program which will offer certain employees time off from their normal day to day responsibilities to work on their own projects. The move is seen as very similar to a Google initiative where its employees can spend twenty percent of their time working on side projects in the hope that they may help the company in the future."

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
iPhone 4 to Android:

I was using an iPhone up until September of this year. For the last 1 year the iPhone wasn't working for my current workflow (screen size & file system access limitations). I grabbed a Nexus 7 to test the waters of Android since it was the latest hardware/software at a reasonable price. If I hated it I was only going to be out a couple of hundred bucks.

After getting it, my iPhone was resigned to being a hotspot to tether the Nexus 7 to. Since then I've switched to a note II and am quite happy with the experience. As far as iCloud goes I just transferred everything over to Google Services. I can't see myself ever going back to iOS if past trends continue.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Not much faith in Apple post-Steve Jobs: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-stands-no-chance-without-Steve-Jobs-poll-results_id37142

Personally, I think only time will tell. Apple still has the opportunity to bring iOS back. Hopefully with Ive at the helm, we can see some important and necessary changes. Safari, Mail, the keyboard, all could stand some improvements.

Because if not... "Is Apple is on the brink of "repeating the mistakes of the Mac era"?"

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-A...repeating-the-mistakes-of-the-Mac-era_id37124

Hopefully iOS 7 isn't just cosmetic changes...

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have had a 3GS, 4, 4S and iPhone 5, I prefer the SGS3 and Nexus 4, I will sell one of the latter two, ATM, I can't decide which.

Was a bit of a hassle switching to sync my phones to google but once done I find it problem free.

I still have a MBP, iPad 1 and will be getting a iPad mini for Christmas.

Last edited:

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I started with the iPhone and used only iPhones for a few years. Then I used Android for about a year and a half. I got an iPhone 5 and after 2 months I'm ready for Android again. So currently I'm waiting for my Nexus 4 to ship.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
These posts are great. This is what happens when you keep an open mind, and have no blind loyalty. You get to experience the best of all worlds. :)

The day iOS becomes easier to use, more mature, more feature-rich, has a better keyboard, etc.; the day the iPhone offers a bigger screen... is the day I return to it. :apple:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Started off with the 3G (and first gen iPod Touch) and was fully into the whole apple eco system (if memory serves me right, calendars contacts mail)

After 2 years I was ready for a change and went BlackBerry, initially was awkward as I migrated my data over to google as this worked better on the BB, but enjoyed the BB experience, bought an iPod Touch 4G as it was better for my media that the BB

Earlier this year I went Android, had most data already moved to Google so was an easy move, mostly use my Android now but occasionally like to use my iPod so I can see how iOS is developing

I now have my iTunes setup to stream to all my devices and this works perfectly

12 months to go and will be thinking of my next phone, Windows, another Android, back to iPhone, I have no idea yet which one

I am not a big app user so switching platforms is easy, and when I buy media I make sure it doesn't have drm, so it works on all my devices

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple lost me when they decided to play the slow and incremental update game, both in hardware and software, especially during a time when the competition is learning, growing, and innovating faster.

Also, though I still love my Macs and iPad, I've become disenchanted by Apple as a company lately. Their legal wars, their overpriced products (really wanted to get a 13" Retina MBP but just couldn't justify the mark up; then there's that iPad Mini), and their disingenuous keynotes and marketing really have been turning me off.

Put me down also for 'iPhone to Android.'

Very well said.

As a very long time Apple enthusiast, who currently uses a Mac Pro, MBP & MBA for work and personal, I too am very discouraged with Apple's antics of late. Once a company I could respect and trust, their consistency and quality was wonderful. They were a company you could count on, and one I felt good spending my money on.

Today I abhor their bully tactics, there outlandish deeds like having Samsung products banned from sale, and their pompous spewing of venom.

If not for my fierce loyalty, and enjoyment of OS X, I would leave in a heartbeat. But I don't quit, I give ample opportunity to right a wrong, and hope they change paths before I do reach my limit.

Fortunately I'm in a position where I can buy anything I want without hesitation, thus I have a full complement of competitive products. Windows 7 is far better than most Mac people realize and the beat goes on.

When it comes to smartphones the good news is we have Android to choose from. A very well done project, far from perfect, but they are working on it quite diligently. That's all one can ask, and they have some of the best workflow tools in the business.

At the end of the day, the saving grace are my SGS III, Nexus 4, and Galaxy Note II to both keep me in business and keep me from getting bored simply because I'm a type A person that loves tech , works in tech and keeps up to date with a voracious appetite for the latest.

----------

These posts are great. This is what happens when you keep an open mind, and have no blind loyalty. You get to experience the best of all worlds. :)

Yes they are... it's very refreshing to actually be able to conduct an intelligent conversation between mature adults without the riff raff coming in to spew insults. :)

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Switched from iPhone + iPad to Galaxy S3 + Nexus 7.

Had iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 and an iPad, got bored with IOS and the screensize of the iPhone in May 2011, tired out a Galaxy S2 when it first came out, and liked it.
So it came, that I really started loving Android, so I sold my iPad, and bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1.
As I wrote before, my actual devices are Galaxy S3 + Nexus 7.

Never looked back to Apple, and at the moment I cant imagine swithing back.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think you have to ask yourself what, exactly, you have invested. Generally speaking, this is apps. So how much money do you have invested in apps that you actually use? I have purchased plenty of games, 3/4 of which I don't use anymore. For me, looking at every dollar spent on the appstore makes no sense, unless you are actually utilizing every one of those apps you have spent money on.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think you have to ask yourself what, exactly, you have invested. Generally speaking, this is apps. So how much money do you have invested in apps that you actually use? I have purchased plenty of games, 3/4 of which I don't use anymore. For me, looking at every dollar spent on the appstore makes no sense, unless you are actually utilizing every one of those apps you have spent money on.

100% agree. I felt the loss of my money invested in the App Store when I made the switch to Android, but got over it quite quick.

Plus, once I got my iPad, everything I paid for was back.

Best of both worlds baby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.