Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Anyone tried the ATV 2G vs ATV 3G in terms of display mirroring performance?? I tried my girlfriend's iPhone 5 with Asphalt 7 on the Apple Tv 2G and the gameplay isn't very good. The game looks much better on the iPhone screen and it's laggy.. Is this due to the A4? It will improve using the Apple TV 3G ?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Anyone tried the ATV 2G vs ATV 3G in terms of display mirroring performance?? I tried my girlfriend's iPhone 5 with Asphalt 7 on the Apple Tv 2G and the gameplay isn't very good. The game looks much better on the iPhone screen and it's laggy.. Is this due to the A4? It will improve using the Apple TV 3G ?

While I haven't directly compared the two, I don't think the ATV3 would be much better, if at all. Action games in no way should be played over AirPlay because of the lag, low resolution etc. The latter is especially visible when streaming from the iPhone 5 to my Apple TV 3. (Interestingly, the, otherwise, slower iPad 3 isn't as blocky as the iPhone 5 on the big screen.)

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban

I'll swap you my ATV3 for your ATV2...

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I remember bought a racing game just to test the mirroring deal, i think it was "real racing" on my ipad 2 :) worked pretty good but th first couple of seconds were laggy.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I remember bought a racing game just to test the mirroring deal, i think it was "real racing" on my ipad 2 :) worked pretty good but th first couple of seconds were laggy.

Have you tried Asphalt 7? It could be a game related issue. I've tried galaxy on fire 2 and runs ver well.

I'll swap you my ATV3 for your ATV2...

Why you will do that?:confused:

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Mirroring performance on Apple TV is more dependent on your network connection stability and your router's capability to keep up.

So if it's laggy, I'd suggest to look into network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.