Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
...just for the record, why is it Adobe's problem that Apple created a laptop that made industry standard apps "painful to use"?

It sounds like an "Apple fail" to me, not an Adobe problem.

So are you wishing that retina would have never come because there would be a slight period of time where developers wouldn't be ready with their current software?

lol

Apple innovate, get used to it. If it wasn't for Apple we would still be using generic MP3 players and minidiscs. We wouldn't have a rapid growth in smart phones. Everyone would still be using nokias and the occasional blackberry. Advertising would be a bit more dull across the board.

There is no "fails" by anyone. I am sure Adobe worked as quickly as they could possibly do to support retina.

I'd love to hear you say it's Apple's Fault in a year or two when every competitor is releasing retina equivalent screens. It would still be Apple's fault for making something better though right?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
So are you wishing that retina would have never come because there would be a slight period of time where developers wouldn't be ready with their current software?

No, I'm wondering why the original poster said that Photoshop was "painful to use" on a hi-DPI Apple.

Surely the bright folks at Apple could have mode an OS that had enough resolution independence that earliers apps would look the same.

Did Apple screw up the hi-DPI implementation?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It was the "Took em long enough" lead in that made it a critique of Adobe. That's hardly a neutral intro....

It might be a critique of how long they took to adapt, but I wouldn't assume that he is saying that Adobe is at fault for Photoshop not looking great on the MacBook Pro Retina. He could just be complaining that he was waiting for too long, which is not exactly the same thing. Sure it's Adobe's job to make their stuff retina, but the blame really rests on both parties jointly, which he may or may not realize.

----------

No, I'm wondering why the original poster said that Photoshop was "painful to use" on a hi-DPI Apple.

Surely the bright folks at Apple could have mode an OS that had enough resolution independence that earliers apps would look the same.

Did Apple screw up the hi-DPI implementation?

You mean antialiasing, smart upscaling, or some other enhancement for low-resolution images? They could do that, but I think it's a better idea from a programming standpoint to just let Adobe and others make their GUI higher-res.

----------

I'd love to hear you say it's Apple's Fault in a year or two when every competitor is releasing retina equivalent screens. It would still be Apple's fault for making something better though right?

Don't go too far with this; LG made the retina displays. All Apple did was be the first major PC supplier to effectively use them on a PC. You can give them credit for that, but remember that they aren't a hardware development company.

----------

An option for using the old crop tool? Yeah, it's called not upgrading.

I love everything about CS6 so far, except for the lack of retina support. Really looking forward to the upgrade, because it looks awful on retina.

Is it just me, or is CS6 significantly slower to load than CS5? Also, the darker background really bugs me. The lightest you can make the GUI background is a 33%-black grey.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Don't go too far with this; LG made the retina displays. All Apple did was be the first major PC supplier to effectively use them on a PC. You can give them credit for that, but remember that they aren't a hardware development company.

Of course but then it would be LG's "fail" right? lol the guy I am replying to just seems to want to criticise Apple to make himself feel higher or something

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I hope they change the croptool back to cs5 standaard. The croptool in cs6 is so bad!!

Typetool is still slow when loading for the first time.
Lots of other features that need attention.

you have the option to use the old one mate.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 97

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Of course but then it would be LG's "fail" right? lol the guy I am replying to just seems to want to criticise Apple to make himself feel higher or something

Apple decided to use retina displays in their MacBook Pros, so it would be even further off to blame LG for making displays that Apple used, making Adobe's software lower-res than Mac OS icons and such. That would be like blaming a plastic paint company for selling paint that was used on the terribly hideous and overpriced Will.i.am camera accessory for iPhone.

But yeah, it's definitely not an Apple fail. Nobody failed to cause this.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Apple decided to use retina displays in their MacBook Pros, so it would be even further off to blame LG for making displays that Apple used, making Adobe's software lower-res than Mac OS icons and such. That would be like blaming a plastic paint company for selling paint that was used on the terribly hideous and overpriced Will.i.am camera accessory for iPhone.

But yeah, it's definitely not an Apple fail. Nobody failed to cause this.

yep, no ones fail. Just ideas and technology moving forward that some people on this forum seem to dislike.

theineffablebob

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
...just for the record, why is it Adobe's problem that Apple created a laptop that made industry standard apps "painful to use"?

I'd say it's both Apple and Adobe's problem. They showed off an early version of retina Photoshop during the retina Macbook Pro announcement so they did use it as a selling point for the machine.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
I'm still not sure why would web designers use a Retina MacBook Pro for design. Designing things on a screen that is different from what most people are using seems troublesome.
Photoshop is useful for a helluva lot of things other than web design.

Tremulant

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
US
Is it just me, or is CS6 significantly slower to load than CS5? Also, the darker background really bugs me. The lightest you can make the GUI background is a 33%-black grey.

I upgraded to CS6 when I got my RMBP, so I can't really tell which is quicker at this point. The dark theme bugged me at first, but I made myself use it for a while and now I really love it. You can change to the lighter color scheme, and I don't think it's any darker than previous versions...I may be wrong though.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I upgraded to CS6 when I got my RMBP, so I can't really tell which is quicker at this point. The dark theme bugged me at first, but I made myself use it for a while and now I really love it. You can change to the lighter color scheme, and I don't think it's any darker than previous versions...I may be wrong though.

For me, it sometimes hangs after I open it, and loading the text tool sometimes takes longer than it should. This happens on two different computers. However, it might just be because I had to block the Adobe activation in the hosts file because my legally obtained Photoshop randomly stopped being genuine like Windows 7 does.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

I would say that if you're using any of these applications in your work, you shouldn't be driven by technolust for the latest gadget.

lol

Apple innovate, get used to it. If it wasn't for Apple we would still be using generic MP3 players and minidiscs. We wouldn't have a rapid growth in smart phones. Everyone would still be using nokias and the occasional blackberry. Advertising would be a bit more dull across the board.

Where did he suggest that? It's on Apple if they want to communicate such developments to their software partners. They don't really do that, as this market likely represents a very small portion of their current growth.

yep! Loving how liquify uses the GPU now. So fast

That has to be one of the most misused tools in the entire programs. To be fair it hasn't been updated in years, but puppet warp tends to produce cleaner results. With liquify any significant work requires some amount of cleanup to clean up the mesh. Even for a 2d mesh, it lacks a lot of modern relax tools and things of that sort. This is one of those situations where I think Adobe decided to focus on newer tools.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
Check to see if all the GPU-acceleration options are enabled in the Settings under Performance.

Since 10.8, CS6 hasn't supported Apple's AMD GPU drivers (or the other way around), leading to performance actually being worse than CS5, when on 10.7, it was significantly quicker.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Check to see if all the GPU-acceleration options are enabled in the Settings under Performance.

Since 10.8, CS6 hasn't supported Apple's AMD GPU drivers (or the other way around), leading to performance actually being worse than CS5, when on 10.7, it was significantly quicker.

I enabled it, and I'm on 10.6.8. It just takes a long time to initialize (faster than Word but slower than CS5), nothing graphics-related.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
An option for using the old crop tool? Yeah, it's called not upgrading.

I love everything about CS6 so far, except for the lack of retina support. Really looking forward to the upgrade, because it looks awful on retina.

Sorry, didn't see this post of yours. But as you can see now, you can go back to the old crop tool in CS6 if you want.

Never understood people not upgrading to the latest software. I suppose if you're working on a big project and you're in the middle of it, you wouldn't want to upgrade right away. Me, I've upgraded every time since version 1.0. Yeah, there have been things I've had to learn to adapt to, but it's really been no big deal. And this is coming from someone that works in Photoshop like 8 to 12 hours a day.

But then again, there are still people out there that refuse to upgrade from Photoshop 7. And people still using DOS, or Windows 2000. Meh, whatever works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.