Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that the iPhone 5 has received its final certification from Chinese regulators, opening the door to a launch on Apple's carrier partners China Unicom and China Telecom.
Vendors in China often start selling new handsets within weeks of approval by China's Telecommunication Equipment Certification Center. [...]

The regulator said in two posts on its website that it had approved licenses for an iPhone supported by China Telecom and one supported by China Unicom.
China Telecom chairman Wang Xiaochu had previously stated that the iPhone 5 would be launching on the carrier by early December, and the carrier has reportedly started taking pre-orders in recent days.

iphone_5_china_top.jpg
Apple has been placing a strong focus on the Chinese market, which now accounts for 15% of the company's revenue and and saw revenues rise 78% to $23.8 billion in fiscal 2012.

Still, Apple's product launches in China have typically lagged behind those in the company's other major markets, leading to a booming gray market for devices brought in from Hong Kong and elsewhere while also leaving the company more vulnerable to competitors. But with Apple's goal of bringing the iPhone 5 to at least 100 countries before the end of 2012, the company is clearly working hard on compressing its worldwide rollout timetables.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Receives Final Regulatory Certification in China

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Watch Apple close down the Apple Stores again and restrict it to online sales only, because people start acting like it's Black Friday :p

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Dominates might not be the right word, yes they sell more because they are cheaper than the iPhone and most Chinese aren't that wealthy.

They dominate. Recent reports show as much as 90% of the cell phone market is Android.

That is dominating.

Not trying to be a douche, but the facts speak for themselves.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Look 4 posts up.

I said "Not trying to be a douche"

as in saying "I'm not trying to be one"

I wasn't calling you one. That what you are meaning?

Either way. "not trying to be a douche."

I really don't care that you called me an ass personally. Its the internet. I don't get butthurt easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.