Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Hello,

My step dad bought a 4S from apple today and they set it up to restore from an iCloud backup. However, almost 12 hours later it still hasn't done anything.

Now that the phone is active how do I restore it from an iCloud backup? Will I have to restore it using iTunes or can I do it from the phone?

Many thanks! :)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Just go into settings -> General -> Reset, and select "Erase all content and Settings." This will wipe the phone and bring it back to its "out of the box" state, where you can log into your iCloud account and restore from backup.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Just go into settings -> General -> Reset, and select "Erase all content and Settings." This will wipe the phone and bring it back to its "out of the box" state, where you can log into your iCloud account and restore from backup.

Great, thank you very much :)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Thought of another question, when you restore from iTunes you can pick from a list of recent backups, does restoring from iCloud have the same option.

Yes it does give me the option to pick from recent backups.

I did this tonight when I got home and I have to say restoring from iCloud worked very well, I have everything back just the way it was.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Thought of another question, when you restore from iTunes you can pick from a list of recent backups, does restoring from iCloud have the same option.
yes, that option is there as well. it will be listed on the bottom.

Will also show backups from an iPhone as well.

----------

Yes it does give me the option to pick from recent backups.

I did this tonight when I got home and I have to say restoring from iCloud worked very well, I have everything back just the way it was.

sorry didn't see this before i posted a bit ago. nice man. yeah iCloud restore is awesome. got my mom a new iPad mini and restored it from her iPad 2. she was amazed that something like that held 2,000 pictures and all her settings exactly like her iPad 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.