Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
If it wasn't for some of the features and abilities of ML, I would have stayed on Snow Leopard. Lion was awful and ML isn't the best thing ever either.

On Topic, seriously hoping for iTunes 11 today, I just want to try it out and see how it performs.

I am not bashing you I am just curious as to why you thought Lion was terrible and ML is not great?

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
I heard the'll bring back Ping ,now that Forstall was ousted. ;)

Seriously, I hope they let us show more then 10 song per page on the Wish List (I might be the only one who still using this feature but dang, it's a pain to browse a few pages)...

Last edited:

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I am not bashing you I am just curious as to why you thought Lion was terrible and ML is not great?

I still find a few small bugs in ML comparing it too Snow Leopard.
Like, ML is brilliant, but its just not as great and stable as SL imo.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
It's there, girls and boys - go download!!!

Attachments

• iTunes11.jpg
    iTunes11.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 80

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Really, is there?
Because DRM'd stuff won't get streamed by anything and to add to it the play marker won't get updated in iTunes, which is a big annoyance especially with TV shows.

I have the same need as you apparently. :D

Also, but I don't ever expect this to happen: I'd love to natively share my friends outside the network.

Right now I'm thinking about setting up a VPN for AirDrop, iTunes HomeShares and a few other things for friends.
Although I heard HomeShares don't play nicely with VPNs (read: don't work)...
Anyone with experience in that?

Glassed Silver:mac
You'll have to go outside iTunes, using PLEX or Air Video. They'll stream (and even convert on the fly, I think) any shows/movies to your iOS device by basically setting up your computer as a server (and pointing toward your respective media folders). No experience with that myself just yet, but thinking about it.

EDIT - You're right about the DRM stuff (Air Video won't play it). Not sure about PLEX, but probably similar (maybe). I backup all my media from my own DVDs, so I don't run into that problem.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunes is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 player shouldn't use that much memory.

All I can say is: Whips the llama's a$$ ;)

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
You'll have to go outside iTunes, using PLEX or Air Video. They'll stream (and even convert on the fly, I think) any shows/movies to your iOS device by basically setting up your computer as a server (and pointing toward your respective media folders). No experience with that myself just yet, but thinking about it.

EDIT - You're right about the DRM stuff (Air Video won't play it). Not sure about PLEX, but probably similar (maybe). I backup all my media from my own DVDs, so I don't run into that problem.

No third party app does this.

Also, no application updates the marker to my knowledge.
Air Video maybe? Idk... Will look into that.

I do bring my own media mostly, too, but I do spend some money on iTunes movies or shows sometimes, which is actually only worth it when they are on sale, because iTunes prices are ridiculous for TV shows and movies.
Especially as HD costs more and 1080p mostly isn't available. Grrr

Rumple

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Why? You don't even know how iTunes 11 is.

Well it looks a lot like the OS player which I do not like at all. Love the old iTunes. So I will wait it out a bit. If I have to I will down the road, and curiosity can always get the best of me.

----------

you crazy.

----------

Let's get one thing straight: Ping never had an ounce of potential. Ever.

You SO crazy.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Who said it was? I'm talking about iTunes Match which uses the iTunes Store

My apologies if I read you wrong, but I thought you implied it. The original poster said "Some people have complained that the iTunes match options are 256kbs instead of 320 that is in their library on their computers." You replied, correctly, that iTunes Match is the same quality as the iTunes store, i.e., 256kbps. But this in no way illegitimizes the complaint, and if it's not relevant I'm not sure why it was mentioned. The point is that this can still be a legitimate complaint because Match may give people a lower quality than, for example, recordings they ripped on their own.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
No third party app does this.

Also, no application updates the marker to my knowledge.
Air Video maybe? Idk... Will look into that.

I do bring my own media mostly, too, but I do spend some money on iTunes movies or shows sometimes, which is actually only worth it when they are on sale, because iTunes prices are ridiculous for TV shows and movies.
Especially as HD costs more and 1080p mostly isn't available. Grrr

Just tested out Air Video. Works awesomely. Just download the free server software and it sets up everything fairly automatically. You just have to point toward the folders your media is located in. I downloaded the iPhone/iPad app ($2.99) and it worked quite swell.

Not sure what you mean by updating the marker. Is that like, you start a movie on your computer, pause it, then want to continue from where you left off on your iPhone? Not sure if it does that, but don't think so.

Anywho, give it a look, you might like it.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
For the purposes of it being a simple mp3 player and nothing more, this is unacceptable. If all developers were that lazy, we'd require a lot more than 8gb of RAM just to run software.

This is another reason why I refuse to switch to OS X 10.7 or 10.8. Snow Leopard is killer and was nicely optimized, I was super excited about it being released knowing how much under the hood work went into it.

The same should be done with iTunes or a lighter alternative that handles a full library.

It's not a simple MP3 player. It's a music library player. If you have a huge library, it has to load all of the song references into RAM. I wouldn't say it is unacceptable to use 200MB of RAM doing this unless there was some iTunes alternative that did the same thing with significantly less RAM.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Apple wouldn't want to cut off their revenue from the digital purchases on the iTunes Store like that. I think it will run only on Intel, 10.5.8 or later.

I think you mean 10.6.8 or later.

It's not like iTunes 10.7 still suddenly stop working on older machines, I highly doubt Snow Leopard will be supported. Lion or later, me thinks.
My friend was cut off on his Macbook Late 2007 still running Leopard. He just bought an iPhone 5 but cannot manage it on his MacBook running 10.5.8. He vented his frustrations to me and then proceeded to install iTunes on his Windows 7 computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.