Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Shenzhen China... probably literally next door to where the real ones are made.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I wonder, thenn, what they changed from generation to generation? I got the sense they were discovering details requiring mods to the product. That would imply that something was missing from the earlier ones, or so it would seem.

I don't know the exact details, but they tell me this third generation one has a new metal frame to more closely resemble Apple's design. It also has better durability. The chip inside is the same as the previous generation.

But yes, it is a bit concerning that their still rapidly iterating on their designs. This work should have done before launching at all. Still, I've used their early stuff and it works.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
That was a very informative video /sarcasm

More products for consumers to choose from is always good.

No. App Store.

But in this, and many other cases I agree. No competition is bad and I think licensing deals like the ones Apple makes are borderline anti-trust. $30 for a cable that isn't thunderbolt is obscene. There's no possible way it costs more than a dollar to make a lightning cable.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Cool, but you know what would be even cooler? If iDevices could sync and charge like the iPod Shuffle, through the audio jack. That way, for 99% of people, you would never even need this expensive cable which has some awesome features you'll never use… And the Audio jack is also "reversible" (no wrong way to plug it in), it's strong, and a standard as it is. It's also cheap and easy to manufacture, and no silly chips inside.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Cool, but you know what would be even cooler? If iDevices could sync and charge like the iPod Shuffle, through the audio jack. That way, for 99% of people, you would never even need this expensive cable which has some awesome features you'll never use… And the Audio jack is also "reversible" (no wrong way to plug it in), it's strong, and a standard as it is. It's also cheap and easy to manufacture, and no silly chips inside.
Except there are more than one type of cable for the Shuffle. The charging cable does not match a headphone cable. So there's still some messiness.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I don't have a real concern with this ....

I mean, yes, there's a little more inherent trust in the name-brand cable (or dock), but at the same time, this stuff isn't exactly rocket science.

Someone simply has to figure out how the parts interconnect and get their hands on the appropriate components. After that, it's a matter of finding labor who can put it all together. These days, that labor is essentially coming from the same pool of workers for the "official name brand" items as it is for the knockoffs.

We've already had a defective Lightning cable sold to us directly from the local Apple store -- so their cables aren't foolproof either.

I've never trusted the "Unofficial" cables and docks...I think products by Belkin and the other appointed manufacturers are the best way to avoid issues with Apple stuff.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Except there are more than one type of cable for the Shuffle. The charging cable does not match a headphone cable. So there's still some messiness.

Sure, it has one more contact, but it's still a lot simpler than the Lightning connector isn't it? I'm not saying there should not be a lightning connector, but it should only be used for special things like accessories and in-car systems, etc… The most important things, like charging and syncing, that people do every single day, don't require such a modern cable that has a built in chip with 8 contacts and dynamic pin reassignment.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Sure, it has one more contact, but it's still a lot simpler than the Lightning connector isn't it? I'm not saying there should not be a lightning connector, but it should only be used for special things like accessories and in-car systems, etc… The most important things, like charging and syncing, that people do every single day, don't require such a modern cable that has a built in chip with 8 contacts and dynamic pin reassignment.
Well, 3rd parties can screw up anything. If they build a Lightning that only charges, that makes it annoying to avoid that as a consumer. But they can make a mess with any cable. What if they put the wires to the wrong contacts in the Shuffle cable? Or you get it confused with someone else's cable that looks the same but only operates their phone, not the Shuffle? Pays to understand and know what you have, as a consumer.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
MacRumors seems to think that iPhone5Mod are the only people doing this. You only have to hop onto places like alibaba and you see THOUSANDS of companies offering working Lighting cables - most of these are genuine, with excellent reviews.

Even on Aliexpress there are a number of them, and they are again from pretty reputable sellers with good reviews.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’m all for having un-approved/unofficial options out there.

I usually buy the Apple version, but not always; sometimes the knock-offs haven’t worked, so I simply return them for a refund. I wouldn’t mail order a knock-off, but I’d give one a try from a local store with a return policy.

Although: with Apple apparently enforcing worker conditions to earn the “Made for iPhone” badge, that badge has gained some new importance for me.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Well, 3rd parties can screw up anything. If they build a Lightning that only charges, that makes it annoying to avoid that as a consumer. But they can make a mess with any cable. What if they put the wires to the wrong contacts in the Shuffle cable? Or you get it confused with someone else's cable that looks the same but only operates their phone, not the Shuffle? Pays to understand and know what you have, as a consumer.

Of course, but what I mean is that maybe then even Apple could sell the cable for far less, so we wouldn't need to turn to 3rd parties… Or no actually I'm sure Apple would charge loads for any cable, no matter how simple it is :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Of course, but what I mean is that maybe then even Apple could sell the cable for far less, so we wouldn't need to turn to 3rd parties… Or no actually I'm sure Apple would charge loads for any cable, no matter how simple it is :D
Yeah, that'll never happen. I had no problem with $19, though. Bought an extra with my phone this week.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I got one of these on eBay for $10, direct from China. Works like a charm for 1/2 the price. Dunno what people are so worried about. "My phone might blow up," wtf???

Only difference is the white plastic shroud on the Lightning end is significantly larger than Apple's. No biggie.

petalino

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Wtf

What is this video about?

I have seen a machine huffing and puffing before.

Anyone want to see a video of me going to the bathroom?
Its equally interesting

mallom

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
So far, all 7 generic cables I bought work just like the original for 1/3 of the price. :)

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
No competition is bad and I think licensing deals like the ones Apple makes are borderline anti-trust. $30 for a cable that isn't thunderbolt is obscene. There's no possible way it costs more than a dollar to make a lightning cable.

Where do people keep getting the idea that the Apple Lightning cables are $30? :confused:

Go to Apple's online store, or any physical shop that stocks them and you'll find them priced between $19 and $19.99. It's an easy number to check. How do people manage to get it wrong for so long? :eek: :confused:

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
44th post and I guess I'm the only one who is a little bit bothered by the idea that these companies are ripping off Apple's intellectual property. Just because Apple chooses to charge a premium for their product doesn't give anyone a right to clone their technology and sell it cheaper.

Honumaui

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
you have enough money to buy a iPhone but not enough for a extra cable ?
and if you have a phone you have a plan that cost you how much !!! and a one time $20 thing is to much :) hahahahaha
if a cheap cable is $10 and a apple is $20 thats only $10 more !!! or even if its $15 more

if you have a iPad 4 then you have spare money cause its not a needed thing since there are lower models ?

yes I would like it to be $10 but when I spend that much money on my phone and plan paying $10 more for a proper cable is not a big deal at that point !

aaronptrck

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
California
Wow... this factory looks like something in the 1970's.... The point being that American factories differ so much from the factories in China.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.