Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
If the Retina Mini and regular Mini were the same price and absolutely the same except for the screen. This even means the same RAM/GPU somehow driving the screens identically.

With no other drawbacks, you can't expect us to believe that you would choose the current screen, which means you tolerate the current screen because of the other benefits.

The fact that seems to elude all the whiners here is that there isn't a retina iPad mini. There is no choice if you want the smaller iPad. People act like Apple is deliberately doing this, the reality is that the technology to do this doesn't exist yet.

So, yes, I love the iPad mini display because it allows such a light device.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I think the 512 RAM bothers me more than the lack of retina.

Totally agree with this one. Retina, though noticeable, is very subjective as far as far as acceptance VS loathing. But RAM on the other hand... I'm not enjoying the shortage of RAM on the Mini. Wish they would have made it 1gb.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
What the heck is going on? I seen the screen and what's the big deal about it? It's fine! The detail in the ipad mini screen equates to the display on a regular computer monitor. Oh my god!

Seriously? Is this what apple customers have come to? Are you seriously that picky, where if you see a pixel, you go on like a screaming red-in-the-face crybaby about it? My god.

Ok so its not retina, but its regular!

The way some of you guys clamor on about it....

...you seriously need to take a look at your lives. Seriously, I feel bad for you guys. You are the guys that are bringing the Apple name down. Just a whiny, spoiled, generation of adult babies. My..God...

What do you mean seen the screen? It may look ok in the store. Like all screens seeing in a store is different than taking one home. And people should complain because that makes manufacturers improve products.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Apple devices are always top-end miracles with revolutionary specifics. That, of course, justifies the high end price tag.
Except for when they are sub-par and run on 2 year old hardware. In that case, the Apple logo and the hype are still more than enough.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Apple devices are always top-end miracles with revolutionary specifics. That, of course, justifies the high end price tag.
Except for when they are sub-par and run on 2 year old hardware. In that case, the Apple logo and the hype are still more than enough.

"sub-par" and "2 year old hardware" are both false.

"Apt for the price" and "updated hardware at 2 year old specs" is more accurate.

Nothing inside the iPad Mini was inside the iPad 2.

The A5 in the Mini is the A5 from the updated iPad 2 (32nm vs 45nm) that came out 8 months ago alongside the iPad 3.

The facetime camera is updated to 720p, the rear camera is updated to the 1080p one that is on the back of the iPad 3.

Logic board is shrunken so that's not the same...

I guess the LCD panel is the same family as the 3 year old iPhone 3GS... but they still sell brand new computer monitors that are from the same family as LCD monitors from 5 years ago. Heck I think the ones on the 27 inch iMac Displays are about 5 years old now... at least 2-3 years old.

You've now been educated.

You're welcome.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The fact that seems to elude all the whiners here is that there isn't a retina iPad mini. There is no choice if you want the smaller iPad. People act like Apple is deliberately doing this, the reality is that the technology to do this doesn't exist yet.

So, yes, I love the iPad mini display because it allows such a light device.

So you tolerate the display quality because of what it allows.

It's akin to asking if you would choose the iPad 2 or iPad 3's screen if the devices were otherwise identical.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
"sub-par" and "2 year old hardware" are both false.

"Apt for the price" and "updated hardware at 2 year old specs" is more accurate.

Nothing inside the iPad Mini was inside the iPad 2.

The A5 in the Mini is the A5 from the updated iPad 2 (32nm vs 45nm) that came out 8 months ago alongside the iPad 3.

The facetime camera is updated to 720p, the rear camera is updated to the 1080p one that is on the back of the iPad 3.

I guess the LCD panel is the same family as the 3 year old iPhone 3GS... but they still sell brand new computer monitors that are from the same family as LCD monitors from 5 years ago. Heck I think the ones on the 27 inch iMac Displays are about 5 years old now... at least 2-3 years old.

You're welcome.

Terrific post. Well worded! :cool:

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
What the heck is going on? I seen the screen and what's the big deal about it? It's fine! The detail in the ipad mini screen equates to the display on a regular computer monitor. Oh my god!

Seriously? Is this what apple customers have come to? Are you seriously that picky, where if you see a pixel, you go on like a screaming red-in-the-face crybaby about it? My god.

...you seriously need to take a look at your lives. Seriously, I feel bad for you guys. You are the guys that are bringing the Apple name down. Just a whiny, spoiled, generation of adult babies. My..God...

i've determined that people just want something to complain about. if the screen had retina....they would find something else to complain about then too.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
omg what is wrong with an out dated screen?

how could people complain?

omg?

an air has a bad screen and people still use it. Who cares...some people can't get past it and some can. Some people can't go back to a tube TV once they have seen full HD, some can

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

100% my reaction when I finally saw it. Heard all the histrionics about the horrors of the display's resolution and then I saw it and scratched my head at yet another example of "rich people's problems."

I was reluctant to get a couple as gifts for my sons before seeing itin person but now I have no qualms about getting them.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
"Apt for the price"
YMMV
and "updated hardware at 2 year old specs" is more accurate.
I fail to see the difference on this one
so a tablet called "iPad 2" was indeed sold with this very same chip for a certain amount of time (8 months and counting, mind you)
I was talking about the screen and the SOAC, the two key specifics for longevity and app compatibility. OK on this one anyway
matter of size, not hardware advancement
Comparing tablets to PCs feels convenient now, isn't that right? Too bad that's a different market. You can get tablets with better screens for this price anyway.

Huh?

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR

Why is your opinion valid, but ours are stupid? I had a mini for a few days, it was a 32GB, and it did not suit my needs so I returned it. I think it's well within my right to decide that I did not like the performance and screen quality, and decided it was not worth 450$ to me. I don't tell anyone else not to get one, but I certainly didn't keep mine. Next year, if they decide to do something nicer with it, I am sure I will be in line for it myself again.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
so a tablet called "iPad 2" was indeed sold with this very same chip for a certain amount of time (8 months and counting, mind you)

You didn't say "iPad 2" you said and I quote:

It isn't 2 year old hardware. None of it is... and of course it's 8 months "and counting..." every single time a thing comes into existence it's "and counting"
You are "(X) age and counting" ever since you came out of your mother.

Comparing tablets to PCs feels convenient now, isn't that right? Too bad that's a different market. You can get tablets with better screens for this price anyway.

You do realize a Tablet is a PC with a touch screen and an altered OS right? The guts of both kinds of devices are so closely related (and soon to be even more when/if Macs go ARM) that your counter is null. It's like saying Prometheus wasn't an "Aliens" movie.

You know you can also get tablets for around the price of the (priced at a loss) Kindle Fire HD/Nexus 7 that have a MUCH worse screen than the Mini also? They are priced to NOT MAKE MONEY. That isn't how Apple works.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Computers are as related to tablets as smartphones are. Of course they have a memory, a CPU and a screen, but possible applications are different due to different size, processing power, input methods, etc.
And it's much cheaper to produce quality screens on smaller sizes.
Also, ASUS certainly made a profit on the Nexus 7 last time I checked. I think they closed one of their best quarters ever last month. Certainly they do not have Apple-like margins, but still quite nice ones.

A part of Apple's crazy margins are made on the mentality that the price is right because Apple has to get profits while others sell at cost. I can see Amazon doing that, but ASUS or LG on Google's behalf? Come on.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Computers are as related to tablets as smartphones are. Of course they have a memory, a CPU and a screen, but possible applications are different due to different size, processing power, input methods, etc.
Also, ASUS certainly made a profit on the Nexus 7 last time I checked. I think they closed one of their best quarters ever last month. Certainly they do not have Apple-like margins, but still quite nice ones.

A part of Apple's crazy margins are made on the mentality that the price is right because Apple has to get profits while others sell at cost. I can see Amazon doing that, but ASUS or LG on Google's behalf? Come on.

nexus products are heavily subsidized by Google. As can be seen by the cost of the nexus 4 in countries that don't have access to the play store.

The race to the bottom helps no one and will end up killing innovation and quality. Consumers may love it now but they will end up the losers in the end.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

ASUS makes money but Google does not since they are footing the bill to make the Nexus 7. They only made and sold it to further along the development of Android so the loss is an "investment" for them. Apple's business plan is not like that at all and there is definitely under $100 margin per iPad Mini sold at the 16gb level.

You must learn to look at all factors... not just he ones that benefit you. It's not like I don't WANT a Cheaper iPad Mini with a Retina display and FREE LTE! But I am able to comprehend the full picture not just the Apple should make me this for XX amount because I want and demand it.

You might as well ask for rain to turn into diamonds.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Why is your opinion valid, but ours are stupid? I had a mini for a few days, it was a 32GB, and it did not suit my needs so I returned it. I think it's well within my right to decide that I did not like the performance and screen quality, and decided it was not worth 450$ to me. I don't tell anyone else not to get one, but I certainly didn't keep mine. Next year, if they decide to do something nicer with it, I am sure I will be in line for it myself again.

That's precisely the point. If you are dissatisfied with a product then it makes no sense for you to own it. It's as simple as that. Saying "it should be better" without any knowledge of the business decisions involved is fairly juvenile.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
So you tolerate the display quality because of what it allows.

It's akin to asking if you would choose the iPad 2 or iPad 3's screen if the devices were otherwise identical.

It's as good or better than the iPad 2 screen. I bet if Apple broke out the numbers the iPad 2 is probably the best selling iPad yet. A retina display is great, but it's not necessary to have for a product to be great. At least not yet, maybe two or three years from now a retina display will need to be standard based on competition.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida

Amen!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the iPad mini screen.
The iPad mini has become my iPad of choice over the iPad 3, which by the way has a retina display.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Once I learned that the mini's display has a higher ppi than my MBA (163 vs 128), I stopped worrying about the resolution.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Just be glad you don't have my iPad Mini screen

Just be glad you don't have my iPad Mini screen

Attachments

• ipad mini light bleed 1.JPG
    ipad mini light bleed 1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 64

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
If the Retina Mini and regular Mini were the same price and absolutely the same except for the screen. This even means the same RAM/GPU somehow driving the screens identically.

With no other drawbacks, you can't expect us to believe that you would choose the current screen, which means you tolerate the current screen because of the other benefits.

Did I say that? Your mythical Mini doesn't exist. The one that does exist, that one, I absolutely love. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.