Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated the Apple TV's software as well as the Remote app for iOS, presumably adding support for iTunes 11 and the new iCloud features introduced within it. The Apple TV release has a build number of 10A831.

The Apple TV can be updated directly on the unit by going to the Settings menu, then General, then selecting Update Software. The last Apple TV update was released back in September.
iTunes Up Next

Adds support for Up Next with iTunes 11 or iTunes Match. See upcoming songs when playing music on your Apple TV. Add new songs and edit what's queued with your Remote or with the Remote app.

Stability and performance

Includes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.
NewImage38.png
The Remote app has been updated with a new view for iPad as well, one that looks almost identical to iTunes 11. It allows users to control iTunes or the Apple TV using their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch over a Wi-Fi network.
Remote is simpler and easier with new ways to browse your library and see and edit upcoming songs with Up Next. A redesigned experience for the iPad shows all the songs in an album with the Expanded view and a more powerful search delivers results as you type.
Remote is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Apple TV, Remote for iOS with iTunes 11 Support

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
too many (well, more) clicks to get to the app store.

moan moan, otherwise nice and snappy.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
Apple TV 5.1.1 (10A831) changelog?

friends
Apple just released 5.1.1 (10A831), i didnt updated it yet as per my earlier bad experience, if someone has updated it please let us know what are the changes and the BUGS too, so that we can think over it to update or not
Thanks

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Any word in iTunes Extras for AppleTV?

This! I'm installing the update now so we'll see in a bit....

I really hope so. They've been promising Extras ever since the ATV 2.

Also, I'm liking the new white play arrow on the logo.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Any word in iTunes Extras for AppleTV?

Nothing unfortunately. Heres the changes from the Apple website:

iTunes Up Next
Adds support for Up Next with iTunes 11 or iTunes Match. See upcoming songs when playing music on your Apple TV. Add new songs and edit what's queued with your Remote or with the Remote app.

Stability and performance
Includes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.

mcrawley

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
b/t North Zulch and Snook
Like the new Remote 3.0

Like the new 3.0 Remote App I have found so far:

*Access all the content types
*Ability to make it stay awake/alive in settings for instance access
*Turn visuallizer on and off remotely and it automatically goes full screen. Nice little feature: say you go from a movie to music while hooked up to screen or projector, instead of being stuck looking at the library.
*Up next preview on playlists (before it just showed where the track was on the album)
*Seems to be more Airplay integration.

As someone who does presentations, this may make things a little easier.

johnnyrb

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Has anyone had a problem updating software on Apple TV (version 2)?

My upgrade has been processing for at least an hour.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Hopefully fixes the bug introduced in the last update where netflix doesn't log viewing times always, its really annoying trying to work out what episode is next.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Yep, nothing still. They should aim for Extras on Apple TV by next year. I sill can't believe it doesn't support it yet.

It needs an appstore too... as well as more content. I don't understand why Apple has ignored the Apple TV so much, the potential uses for it are endless....

ATDistinction

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Sweet

I swear on my life! That adding song to a list of next to be played was an idea I sent to apple about 12 months ago!!! I described it as a live playlist. Because your never in the mood for the same exact song, you should be able to just say I want to listen to that, that, that and.... that. I admit they could have had that idea from somewhere else but, cool if it was me.

Last edited:

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I'm one of the few folks still using the original Apple TV.

I just hope the IOS Remote update doesn't kill my functionality - or it will be back to the old point and click.
Maybe I should just get the new Apple TV, but the old one is still awesome in my book.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I swear on my life! That adding song to a list of next to be played was an idea I sent to apple about 12 months ago!!! I described it as a live playlist. Because your never in the mood for the same exact song, you should be able to just say I want to listen to that, that, that and.... that. I admit they could have had that idea from somewhere else but, cool if it was me.
Like iTunesDJ?

Wheeler

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007

Anyone figure out whats new, if anything?

Still no movie audio out via airplay, music only...

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
This has probably been in the works for at least the past year. Doubt we'll see Ives' influence for at least another year. These things have long development times.

shorn

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
The thing that annoys me most about this "update" is that it does not show your cloud purchases in with your library.

Now, in iTunes 11, they are unified. You can also browse all of them unified in the Remote app.

However, nothing has changed on the ATV. If you want your local iTunes library media, you need to got to Computers, and if you want purchased, you have to go to either TV/Movies section.

Very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.