Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
If anything I would prefer a thirty inch iMac

Twenty seven seems big until you live with it, the only time it feels big afterward is when you play with the box it came in

hacke

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
I've been now several times in the apple store and the 27" iMac still seems to be too big for my desk. I think I'm best with the 21,5" and perhaps I add my old 24" if needed..
Do you think the high 21,5" model is good enough for games like bf3? :)
(I play 2-3 days in a month)

Justmeinit

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I've been now several times in the apple store and the 27" iMac still seems to be too big for my desk. I think I'm best with the 21,5" and perhaps I add my old 24" if needed..
Do you think the high 21,5" model is good enough for games like bf3? :)
(I play 2-3 days in a month)

I would seriously consider buying a new desk and going with the 27"

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
27" oversized?
I don't want a desktop computer to be on my desk, I want a desktop computer to BE my desk.

55" display with retina resolution and multitouch would be great flat & flush on the desk. Until then, 27" will have to do.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Hacke
If your playing games 680MX with 2GB DDR5 is going to be great. That takes you to the 27"
3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache should be good enough.
The tough call is what Drive. Are you going to Play PC games? If so then the 1 TB HDD or the 1 TB Fusion may be the way to go. Because if your going to use Bootcamp you won't be able to use the 3T Drives. And you won't be able to put Bootcamp on an external either. And if you get the Fusion Drive you will have to partition the HDD and won't be able to use the SSD side for Windows.
I would also get a third party Ram upgrade, OWC for 32GB is about $200.

I hope this has helped :confused:

You helped me as I was going for the 3TB but didn't realise you couldn't install windows on it!

Thanks!!

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I have had 3 27" imac now. It's gotten so bad that even my external second monitor has to be a 27". Keep in mind it isn't so much the size of the thing but the resolution. Things are so crisp and it's truly a beautiful panel. Throw a 21" monitor next to one and use it as a second monitor you'll quickly see how much more useful the 27 is over the 21

You're right, aside from the physically larger screen it's the resolution that truly makes the 27" display shine. If Apple kept the 27" at the 21" resolution that would've defeated the purpose of a larger monitor for me personally.

I love being able to have one pane for Internet, and the other for streaming youtube/netflix/PPTV/DVDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.