Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
In my admittedly very (very) biased opinion, you really can't beat the decade that Boston's had in terms of sports. Every single team in the major sports has won a championship - football, basketball, hockey, and baseball - and some, multiple championships (with near misses a bunch of other times). The glory of sustained dominance is ours. :cool:

That said and to keep things in perspective, we're simply very lucky as fans. None of us caught a ball, pitched, hit, ran a touchdown, blocked a goal, or wrote a check for a star player. We're just fortunate sports-wise at this moment in time. But I'll take it. :D

P.S. We don't talk like this.

espnbostoncover.jpg

loving the Bruins Stanley Cup title.

now get the Pats to wear their classic kit al the time.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Falcons - Saints tonight in the Dome

Unfortunately, the Saints have owned the Falcons lately (Brees era)
Their first meeting a couple of weeks ago gave the Birds their only loss
It was a game the Falcons had every opportunity to win on the road
Hopefully, we get the split at home tonight

A Falcons win almost assuredly puts the Saints out of the playoffs
And would likely ensure the Falcons of the NFC South
Would also put them one step closer to the #1 seed

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
This will be a good test for the Falcons to show if they are, late in the season, still the best NFL team out there. If they show a very strong D and shut down Brees they can secure without doubt the #1 power rankings for the next couple of weeks. They could put some distance between them and the NFC rival 49ers and have most speculators believe this to be an inevitable Falcons-Texans showdown. Every other serious contender have shown some serious decline in some areas from what I saw last year If my bay area teams don't show, I would love to see a battle between these two southern, NFL-leading teams in the Super Bowl. I think if they continue strong with no more than two losses all season and meet at the big game, it may very well be the most watched Super Bowl ever.

Part of me likes the AFC's top team Houston because of their newness and the fact that they are the only AFC team that scares me, but part of me likes Atlanta because they want to finally get one after so many promising players in their history.

It won't be easy to stop Brees and the team's record doesn't reflect just how dangerous he could be.

Last edited:

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
In my admittedly very (very) biased opinion, you really can't beat the decade that Boston's had in terms of sports. Every single team in the major sports has won a championship - football, basketball, hockey, and baseball - and some, multiple championships (with near misses a bunch of other times). The glory of sustained dominance is ours. :cool:

That said and to keep things in perspective, we're simply very lucky as fans. None of us caught a ball, pitched, hit, ran a touchdown, blocked a goal, or wrote a check for a star player. We're just fortunate sports-wise at this moment in time. But I'll take it. :D

P.S. We don't talk like this.

espnbostoncover.jpg

That cover would have been way cooler if they would have used the real rings instead of fake mockups.

100511_bruinsrings.jpg

SuperBowlXXXIX.jpg

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
That cover would have been way cooler if they would have used the real rings instead of fake mockups.

I think it would have been better if they told the guy in the picture to wash his hands and get a manicure. His snaggle nail bothers me to no end.

Ugh, Boston. How they manage to be a more unlikeable sports town than New York I'll never know, but they do it somehow.

Aww, bitterness is unbecoming. And good thing for us being "most likeable" sports city doesn't win any prizes. ;) I really doubt any city that has won a lot is well-liked by people not from that city, and there are d-bag sports fans from every place in the world.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I think it would have been better if they told the guy in the picture to wash his hands and get a manicure. His snaggle nail bothers me to no end.

Aww, bitterness is unbecoming. And good thing for us being "most likeable" sports city doesn't win any prizes. ;) I really doubt any city that has won a lot is well-liked by people not from that city, and there are d-bag sports fans from every place in the world.

Agreed. I had enough of the lovable loser crap when I was a kid in the 90s. I'd much rather have the Cup and the Lombardi trophy than the "most likeable" ribbon.

7 professional championships (plus at least 4 NCAAs) since 2000. :D The rest of America can deal with it. ;):p:D

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal

100511_bruinsrings.jpg

SuperBowlXXXIX.jpg

Those fakes display the team logo look much better with fewer diamonds. The cleaner designs are easier to see on the cover and most people would not know anyway. At first glance, even from a distance, you know it's Boston. As for the banged up hand, they wanted to show a certain toughness. They should have had a small, bloody wound, too:

Attachments

• 1297321371589_ORIGINAL.jpg
    1297321371589_ORIGINAL.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 48

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Agreed. I had enough of the lovable loser crap when I was a kid in the 90s. I'd much rather have the Cup and the Lombardi trophy than the "most likeable" ribbon.

Exactly. I was a kid during the Chicago Bulls/Dallas Cowboys domination, and it sucked. Boston teams were almost all crappy. I remember once I was watching some sports show and the headline was, "Goodbye, Patsies!" and I started roaring crying because I thought it meant the Patriots were leaving New England. My father helpfully explained it just meant they'd been knocked out of playoff contention. Again.

I wouldn't go back to that and "1918" and everything else, no matter how much the rest of the country may hate us.

And that's how I know you aren't from Cleveland. ;)

Considering you're from Cleveland (?), I won't take too much offense to your insults. Your day will come, though, and it will be glorious. ;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Time for the Falcons to #RiseUp tonight
A loss doesn't hurt them in the standings near as much as it does in the psyche
A big win sends a signal that these Falcons are ready to rumble

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Time for the Falcons to #RiseUp tonight
A loss doesn't hurt them in the standings near as much as it does in the psyche
A big win sends a signal that these Falcons are ready to rumble

Hey Dawg,

Good luck on this showdown. Stopping Brees is always a good thing for a D. This is a chance to show everybody that you are the best team in the NFL.

Last edited:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Good luck on this showdown. Stopping Brees is always a good thing for a D. This is a chance to show everybody that you are the best team in the NFL.

Win or lose I still like the Texans and 49ers better than the Falcons. I know you have to play who is on your schedule but the Falcons haven't done enough to impress me. It's not that they could have done more, because the schedule just didn't allow it, but I'm certainly not sold on them being the best team in the NFL. That being said, they are 1 of 8 or so teams that have a legitimate change to win the SB.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Considering you're from Cleveland (?), I won't take too much offense to your insults. Your day will come, though, and it will be glorious. ;)

If we Clevelanders have earned anything over nearly 50 years of losing at everything, it's the right to call out the overdogs. ;) My goal is to see one championship won in Cleveland before I die...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.