Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It appears that this "might" be a Intel hardware issue with the HD4000 (not a big surprise to most of us). Still need to collect more data to confirm. If this is correct Apple will most likely be replacing the motherboard with a new one that has the new chips, but as I said - more data still needs to be collected before this will look to be the case.

Last edited:

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
It appears that this "might" be a Intel hardware issue with the HD4000 (not a big surprise to most of us). Still need to collect more data to confirm. If this is correct Apple will most likely be replacing the motherboard with a new one that has the new chips, but as I said - more data still needs to be collected before this will look to be the case.

Why do you think it might be a hardware issue that would require motherboard replacement?

Here's some information from people who actually work at Intel:

http://communities.intel.com/message/171244

There's some indication, according to an actual Intel employee, that it has to do with a memory vs. BIOS incompatibility which Apple should be able to fix easily with a software update.

Please post your evidence that you think it's a hardware issue. If you don't have any then I don't see the point of trying to scare everybody.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Why do you think it might be a hardware issue that would require motherboard replacement?

First, if you read my post I said several times that this "might" be the issue, not that it is the issue. Why? Because someone on the Apple site had the issue, sent their mini back to Apple, and Apple replaced their motherboard and the problem has not come back :) Just trying to determine if the motherboard had new chips on it or if anything else was updated, that's all.

----------

Here's some information from people who actually work at Intel:

There's a better link from Intel which says that they (Intel) are aware of the MM issue and they have sent Apple new drivers for this. I think Apple just needs more time.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy

First, if you read my post I said several times that this "might" be the issue, not that it is the issue. Why? Because someone on the Apple site had the issue, sent their mini back to Apple, and Apple replaced their motherboard and the problem has not come back :) Just trying to determine if the motherboard had new chips on it or if anything else was updated, that's all.

It may be that the new motherboard simply had a (tentative) fix already applied, and it happens to be fixed indeed... besides, a firmware update may work around hardware problems. Actually even the OS itself can do so: the Linux kernel has long contained a workaround for the infamous F00F bug of early Pentium CPUs; at boot time the bug is tested, and if it is present the workaround code is loaded into memory. So we have this:
- Easiest solution: a kernel extension in 10.8.3 avoids the bug
- Easy solution: firmware upgrade for EFI to fix the bug or install a permanent workaround
- Hard solution: recall all the Minis sold so far for replacement under warranty

Since the issue has gone public, Apple has all the interest in having this fixed and is certainly aiming at doing so at the most effective cost, ie. issuing an OS or firmware upgrade.

Also, thanks Macnificent for having stopped writing in a larger font. ;)

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I just had another black screen crash. In fact, I got home from work again and got a snowy secondary screen minutes later. But moments ago, about a half hour after being home, I was playing a came of Civilization V and the screen went black. I heard a "ticking" noise coming from the speakers for 5-10 seconds, and then the machine automatically rebooted.

What's interesting is that I ssh'd into the thing with my MacBook Air and did tail -f on /var/log/system.log just in case this might happen. Here's what I saw:

et up page flip mode on display 0x042490e4 device: 0x10e8a8320 isBackBuffered:
1 numComp: 3 numDisp: 3
Nov 29 16:22:46 Grue kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=1827[Go
ogleSoftwareUp] clearing CS_VALID
Nov 29 16:22:55 Grue.local KernelEventAgent[84]: tid 00000000 received event(s)
VQ_LOWDISK, VQ_VERYLOWDISK (516)
Nov 29 16:22:55 Grue kernel[0]: HFS: Vol: Google Chrome 23.0.1271.91-23.0.1271.9
5 Update Very Low Disk: freeblks: 0, dangerlimit: 10
Nov 29 16:22:56 Grue.local defaults[1866]:
The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Info, KSBrandID) does not exist
Nov 29 16:22:56 Grue kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=1857[ksadmin] clearing CS_VALID
Nov 29 16:22:56 Grue kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=1860[ksadmin] clearing CS_VALID
Nov 29 16:22:56 Grue kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=1862[ksadmin] clearing CS_VALID
Nov 29 16:23:07 Grue.local defaults[4352]:
The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Info, KSChannelID) does not exist
Nov 29 16:23:07 Grue kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=4358[ksadmin] clearing CS_VALID
Nov 29 16:30:04 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1354235404 0
Nov 29 16:30:05 localhost kernel[0]: PMAP: PCID enabled
Nov 29 16:30:05 localhost kernel[0]: PMAP: Supervisor Mode Execute Protection enabled

When I got the black screen, I looked at the MBA and the last log entry was the one at 16:23:07... the ones starting at 16:30 are the reboot processes.

Am I seeing memory issues causing this? Not sure if this is related to the "regular" black screen problem or if this was game-related.

Rob

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Intel did mention something about memory regarding this, but not sure if it applied to Apples version or PC's. As you said it might also just be game related. Can you get it to do it again?

There's no such thing as an Apple or PC version of a Core i5/i7 or RAM.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Intel did mention something about memory regarding this, but not sure if it applied to Apples version or PC's. As you said it might also just be game related. Can you get it to do it again?

I'll try, but it lost a lot of my game progress, so I'm a little burned out on CivV at the moment. :)

Rob

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
I just had another black screen crash. In fact, I got home from work again and got a snowy secondary screen minutes later. But moments ago, about a half hour after being home, I was playing a came of Civilization V and the screen went black. I heard a "ticking" noise coming from the speakers for 5-10 seconds, and then the machine automatically rebooted.

What's interesting is that I ssh'd into the thing with my MacBook Air and did tail -f on /var/log/system.log just in case this might happen. Here's what I saw:

et up page flip mode on display 0x042490e4 device: 0x10e8a8320 isBackBuffered:
1 numComp: 3 numDisp: 3
Nov 29 16:22:46 Grue kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=1827[Go
ogleSoftwareUp] clearing CS_VALID
Nov 29 16:22:55 Grue.local KernelEventAgent[84]: tid 00000000 received event(s)
VQ_LOWDISK, VQ_VERYLOWDISK (516)
Nov 29 16:22:55 Grue kernel[0]: HFS: Vol: Google Chrome 23.0.1271.91-23.0.1271.9
5 Update Very Low Disk: freeblks: 0, dangerlimit: 10
Nov 29 16:22:56 Grue.local defaults[1866]:
The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Info, KSBrandID) does not exist
Nov 29 16:22:56 Grue kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=1857[ksadmin] clearing CS_VALID
Nov 29 16:22:56 Grue kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=1860[ksadmin] clearing CS_VALID
Nov 29 16:22:56 Grue kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=1862[ksadmin] clearing CS_VALID
Nov 29 16:23:07 Grue.local defaults[4352]:
The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Info, KSChannelID) does not exist
Nov 29 16:23:07 Grue kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=4358[ksadmin] clearing CS_VALID
Nov 29 16:30:04 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1354235404 0
Nov 29 16:30:05 localhost kernel[0]: PMAP: PCID enabled
Nov 29 16:30:05 localhost kernel[0]: PMAP: Supervisor Mode Execute Protection enabled

When I got the black screen, I looked at the MBA and the last log entry was the one at 16:23:07... the ones starting at 16:30 are the reboot processes.

Am I seeing memory issues causing this? Not sure if this is related to the "regular" black screen problem or if this was game-related.

Rob

That just looks like Chrome being rubbish with memory management to me and not to do with the HDMI bug :(.

----------

Yeah I saw that... but then over on Apple Discussions everyone was obsessed with the amount of VRAM allocated and didn't realise it's based on your DRAM :rolleyes: so I'm not sure whether to believe it...

simon.hibbs

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Until yesterday I had occasional (once every few days) black screen issues for a second or two, then it would come back and be fine.

Yesterday it black screened twice for extended periods. Once for about an hour and again for 20 minutes.

I called Applecare and went through a system power off and reset process, but it didn't fix the issue so they arranged an appointment for me at an Apple Store to have the firmware updated. The rep said they are working on a software fix, but they already have a firmware fix they can do in-store. The appointment is for Sunday morning, so fingers crossed.

Simon Hibbs

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
I called Applecare and went through a system power off and reset process, but it didn't fix the issue so they arranged an appointment for me at an Apple Store to have the firmware updated. The rep said they are working on a software fix, but they already have a firmware fix they can do in-store. The appointment is for Sunday morning, so fingers crossed.

Now that is interesting!

simon.hibbs

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Thinking about it, it makes sense that if Intel have provided the firmware fix to Apple but that Apple need a few days to wrap it in a downloadable installer and do some thorough testing.

It's actually pretty impressive that you can just pop over to a store and have an engineer do a while-you-wait manual firmware install for you for free though. Well, I paid for Applecare, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could get this done without it.

Simon Hibbs

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Thinking about it, it makes sense that if Intel have provided the firmware fix to Apple but that Apple need a few days to wrap it in a downloadable installer and do some thorough testing.

It's actually pretty impressive that you can just pop over to a store and have an engineer do a while-you-wait manual firmware install for you for free though. Well, I paid for Applecare, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could get this done without it.

Simon Hibbs

I'd be careful that you don't start celebrating prematurely yet...

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
The 10.8.3 graphics fixes are related to all Macs, not the mini specifically. We'll see our fix come in the form of a dedicated firmware or graphics update.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
over on Apple Discussions everyone was obsessed with the amount of VRAM allocated and didn't realise it's based on your DRAM

I don't think it is. There have been exceptions to that rule.

Anyway, Intel has sent the new drivers to Apple. Apple is testing them now.

Jig3n

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Just had my 1st hdmi monitor glitch a moment ago.
I've returned it twice and this 3rd time around I didn't get any glitches for 13 days.
The difference this time was I used 10.8.1 the whole time.
Yesterday I updated to 10.8.2 and 24 hours later the monitor blanked out and went all snowy.

I hope that firmware update works out.:(

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The difference this time was I used 10.8.1 the whole time. Yesterday I updated to 10.8.2 and 24 hours later the monitor blanked out and went all snowy.

So it worked fine with 10.8.1?

Why not just roll back to it via your backup? You do practice regular backups right? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.