Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmorales5922

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
I bought an iPhone 5 outright from best buy, because I am an AT&T employee so I can not upgrade my handset like regular accounts but instead have to buy them outright...

Anyways, I have contacted AT&T about the issue of me wanting to unlock my iPhone, since I travel a lot I would like to use it on my trips with a foreign sim.

Furthermore, AT&T sent me an email saying that I had to contact the manufacturer of the device, they also suggested the device is already unlocked *lol* but my question is : will apple unlock my iPhone 5 since I purchased it outright without a contract? I have receipt proof. Has anyone been through this before?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
If you paid full price for your iPhone 5, they already come unlocked. Just restore through iTunes and you'll get the "Congratulations your iPhone is now unlocked" message.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I hope this isn't incredibly incorrect, but I thought that the 5 was already internationally unlocked? Like locked from domestic carriers but good elsewhere. Or is that the CDMA model.

jmorales5922

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
But I paid full price at best buy not apple... Does that change anything? Because I know best buys systems are retarded and don't communicate with apple

jmorales5922

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
You need to contact AT&T and show them the receipt that you paid full price for it.
Then they should unlock it.
Or spend $3-4 on ebay and get an unlock that way.
Up to you.

But i already contacted AT&T and they told me to contact the manufacturer. I'm not sure if the person above was correct when they said to restore the iPhone. Ill try it when I get home.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
But i already contacted AT&T and they told me to contact the manufacturer. I'm not sure if the person above was correct when they said to restore the iPhone. Ill try it when I get home.

have you tried restoring it?

ive read of several people buying theres out right from target best buy etc.. and after a restore it says congrats your phone is unlocked etc

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

You talked to someone misinformed.
The manufacturer doesnt unlock it.
The phone is still locked to AT&T so they have to submit the unlock request to Apple.
Try this link. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
I'd also try calling AT&T too.

Or skip all the running around and spend the $3 on ebay. Up to you.
I would much rather do that than get frustrated and waste time talking to AT&T reps and trying to get them to understand their own policy. Sometimes it feels Im talking to a wall with customer service reps.

jmorales5922

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Yeah ill try..

Is it possible for anyone to link the eBay unlock page?

Also noting. The AT&T rep in the lengthy email that was sent, because I did send in a request and filled out a from to have it unlocked, told me that my device isnt a At&t Phone, BUT its registered with the network. Meaning it might already be factory unlocked since I bought it outright? I'm gonna try going to tmobile and picking up a nano sim for my tmobile account and then go home restore it and see if it works. If all else fails, ill get the code from eBay

Last edited:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Yeah ill try..

Is it possible for anyone to link the eBay unlock page?

Also noting. The AT&T rep in the lengthy email that was sent, because I did send in a request and filled out a from to have it unlocked, told me that my device isnt a At&t Phone, BUT its registered with the network. Meaning it might already be factory unlocked since I bought it outright? I'm gonna try going to tmobile and picking up a nano sim for my tmobile account and then go home restore it and see if it works. If all else fails, ill get the code from eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190760933674?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Just AT&T locked iphones.
Before you do anything like you said above test it out with a tmobile sim.

This is the only true way to know, don't bother with the websites that are supposed to tell you via IMEI. The ebay method worked for me, there is large active thread on this process as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.