Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_black_white-150x170.jpg
9to5Mac reports that Apple is set to begin sales of unlocked iPhone 5 units to U.S. customers as soon as later today. Sales are said to begin in the company's online store, with retail stores currently receiving units ahead of an unspecified in-store launch date.
Apple will begin selling an unlocked version of its iPhone 5 through its online store as soon as 9 PM tonight, according to our retail sources. The unlocked iPhone 5 price range will likely be $649, $749, and $849 depending on a choice of either 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB of storage.
While unlocked devices are the norm in many of Apple's markets, Apple typically restricts sales in the U.S. during an initial time period after launch to devices locked to specific carriers. For the iPhone 4S, it took less than one month for Apple to begin selling unlocked models to U.S. customers, but it has already been over two months since Apple began U.S. sales of the iPhone 5.

Apple is also said to be expanding its Personal Pickup program for the iPhone 5, allowing users to reserve a device at any time for pickup the following day rather than having to wait until 10:00 PM when the stores have closed for the day to place their reservations.

Article Link: Apple to Begin Selling Unlocked iPhone 5 Models in U.S. as Soon as Later Today

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
that seems like a lot of money. but if you buy it unlocked and switch to straight talk, you will save a ton of money !!!:D

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
What network does straight talk use?

AT&T I believe

Here's what I found (but I could be wrong)...

The Straight Talk network is pulling from AT&T’s network, so you get full-speed access to nationwide HSPA+, unlimited calling, texting, MMS, and data for less than the cost of a far more limited plan with a post-paid carrier (as well as the convenience of never having to sign a contract). There are a few downsides to using an unofficial carrier, such as the lack of visual voicemail for those who rely heavily on that feature, but the benefits and price seem to far outweigh the downsides.

From...
http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/30/review-the-iphone-on-straight-talk/

But they also said something about Sprint, so IDK

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Finally.

However, I'll stick with subsidized iPhones and contractual obligations.
Because, dang it, that's expensive.
Yay for those who can afford it.

Vlad33141

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
I bought my iPhone 5 unlocked on day 1 at the apple store

Is this news because they will be doing it online?
And for all of you that wants to know..... Yes iPhone 5 does work with Straightalk, their service is pretty good, I live in Miami and get most of the time between 4 and 6 mbs downloads and about 1mbs uploads. For $45.00 a month it's awesome!!!!!:apple::)

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
Wow. The carriers take a $450 hit on each iPhone??? No wonder data and service is so expensive (and rising)!

Haswell

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
USA
Since it's unlocked does that mean it will run on Page Plus' network?

Page Plus actually uses Verizon's network, no 4G though. Which I can live with since I use wifi at home and at work.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I thought off contract phones unlocked were $50 more?? I bought mine off contract at Best Buy for $699 and just had AT&T unlock it. Also, an Apple rep told me they were selling unlocked ones if someone asked for them since I was talking to him about Best Buy selling me off contract. I use AT&T so I am in an iPhone 5 contract. I just sold the on contract phone for $900 and turned around and paid full price to Best Buy and AT&T unlocked it after I faxed my Best Buy receipt showing full price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.