Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
If this is true, then that pretty much confirms T-Mobile is probably getting the iPhone 5 next week. Apple probably wants to get as many sales in as possible before the pre-paid carriers get their models of unlocked.

really? subsided iPhone on t-mobile ($199) and unlocked iPhone ($649) does not have any relation ...

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
The unlocked model has less LTE bands then Verizon model
as show in screenshot attached.
As i have a Verizon 64GB Unlocked no need to buy an unlock money went to buying a iPad mini 64GB Verizon also unlocked

Also stated in this URL: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Attachments

• appleiphonelte.jpg
    appleiphonelte.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 75

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Apple gets paid either way.

Apple gets paid more through their selling of an unlocked model.

----------

Those of you complaining that it's expensive for an unlocked iPhone, it's really not. Every other major unlocked smartphone is just as expensive. Look at the Galaxy S3, an unlocked 16GB starts at $599. $50 more than a 16GB iPhone 5.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...1354222152&sr=8-2&keywords=galaxy+s3+unlocked

Yep and it's cheaper over the long run. Those that can't afford the upfront cost really shouldn't be owning a smart phone.

If you aren't willing to save over $600-$1000 on average over two years or more then you really shouldn't be talking about how expensive it is.

----------

I've always wondered this, but why are unlocked or off contract smartphones more expensive than iPad/tablets?

Lots are asking the same thing. How an antenae can jack the cost up so much with a smaller device, smaller screen, etc. Obviously it's profit margins for Apple.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
I've always wondered this, but why are unlocked or off contract smartphones more expensive than iPad/tablets?

You don't know?

Apple's iPhone twice as profitable per unit as iPad

iPhones make :apple: 49-58% profit.
iPads make :apple: 23-32% profit.

While you might be paying $199 upfront for a contract iPhone, the carrier is paying the rest ($650 – $199 = $451) to Apple. In other words, you're indirectly paying Apple the remaining ~$451 over the course of the duration of your contract.

With an unlocked iPhone, Apple is looking to make the same amount of profit, thus charging the entire $650.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Contracts, at end of the day, especially in the USA, are absurdly expensive. Why the hell would I want to blow $100+ per month on a cell phone connection? Americans don't know any better. Mobile networks are MUCH cheaper outside of the USA.

Last edited:

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Those of you complaining that it's expensive for an unlocked iPhone, it's really not. Every other major unlocked smartphone is just as expensive. Look at the Galaxy S3, an unlocked 16GB starts at $599. $50 more than a 16GB iPhone 5.

I'm not looking at the 16GB version which is on par for the market. I'm looking at the idiocy of the 64GB model. If anyone is paying almost $1K for a phone they really have lost all sense of reason. Especially when it's entirely a storage-based markup.

16GB S3 plus a 64GB SD Card? $650.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Maybe I just don't understand, but I think it would be better to wait for the next iteration of the iPhone 5 or stick with a 4S if you're going the unlocked route.

I mean, there are still three versions of the iPhone 5 -- unlocked or not, correct? If you go with an unlocked iPhone 5 that can access AT&T's LTE network and then decide six months later you want to use Verizon's LTE network instead, you're out of luck with that phone you just paid between $649 and $849 for.

If I were going the unlocked route, I'd rather wait for an iPhone with the 5's technology (LTE, larger screen) that only has one model and it works on all LTE bands worldwide. That will probably be one of the biggest features of the next iPhone.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
If I were going the unlocked route, I'd rather wait for an iPhone with the 5's technology (LTE, larger screen) that only has one model and it works on all LTE bands worldwide. That will probably be one of the biggest features of the next iPhone.

You got the larger screen in the 5.

As for the unicorn phone with the all the bands....that's been rumored for years.

SkoshOfSean

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
I'm looking at the idiocy of the 64GB model. If anyone is paying almost $1K for a phone they really have lost all sense of reason. Especially when it's entirely a storage-based markup.

I love how people view these things in absolutes. Nobody is forcing you to buy the 64GB version.

Apple is a business. They make money.

I have kids and I take a lot of videos. To me it is worth it to pay extra to have more storage and not have to carry any other devices in my pocket.

That said, I still opt for the 32GB version because it is sufficient. But I don't call people who opt for the 64GB version idiots.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
People on here don't get if you go with a per month plan with t-mobile or straight talk, in a 2 year time frame you're saving upwards to about $500 when all said in done. The downside is that you have to front the ~$700 instead of having it subsidized.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
About bloody time :)

Welcome to catching up with Australia. :)

I guess the idea, is you wouldn't BE under contract.... Thats how its done here. You buy from Apple, and pay full price up front

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
how much do you save on straight talk? x24 - $450 = ton?

Let's do some math - total cost of ownership in two years

Straight talk: $650 + 24 x $45 = $1,730
AT&T: $199 + $36(activation)2 + 24 x ($40 voice + $20 text + $30 data) x 10% (TAX) = $2,611

So yes, you save $881 for a better plan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.