Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Does anyone know of any legal Flac music stores? And also if I convert an mp3 to a Flac file will the music quality increase?

Last edited:

Scott549

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Does anyone know of any legal Flac music stores? And also if I convert an mp3 to a Flac file will the music quality increase?

Not sure whether you are serious, but no, of course not, you can't increase the music quality. When you convert, you are making a copy of what you have. The copy can be the same or worse, but not better.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Scott549 and Simplicated are absolutely right on the quality question - it's impossible to put back information that was earlier thrown away.

As for legal lossless music, the only "major" store I'm aware of is hdtracks.com, but obviously their selection is very limited compared to iTunes or Amazon. I've also seen lossless music on artist-specific stores at musictoday.com, but unfortunately going to the main site there redirects to Ticketmaster/LiveNation. :eek:

Sure would be nice if Apple offered lossless... it's not like it'd take any more bandwidth than all the movies and TV they sell/rent, and I'd finally be able to stop buying CDs that clutter up my closets.

Trinite

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
There's also Merge Records (mergerecords.com) - again, a limited selection, but at least it's out there....

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Check if "real" flac

Scott549 and Simplicated are absolutely right on the quality question - it's impossible to put back information that was earlier thrown away.

As for legal lossless music, the only "major" store I'm aware of is hdtracks.com, but obviously their selection is very limited compared to iTunes or Amazon. I've also seen lossless music on artist-specific stores at musictoday.com, but unfortunately going to the main site there redirects to Ticketmaster/LiveNation. :eek:

Sure would be nice if Apple offered lossless... it's not like it'd take any more bandwidth than all the movies and TV they sell/rent, and I'd finally be able to stop buying CDs that clutter up my closets.

Is there a way to check if music is flac or has just been converted to flac.

Sixth Street

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
If any of your favorite artists sell on bandcamp, there will usually be a FLAC option. Otherwise, HDTracks is basically it.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
To answer both of your questions: (1) HDtracks is perhaps one of the best websites for FLAC files, just make sure you have a digital-to-analogue converter capable of 24-bit resolution playback. (2) No.

destroysall.

sophie24

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013

There is a great classical music independent label called Edelweiss Emission edelweissemission.com which offers lossless FLAC downloads and also MP3 320 kbps downloads.

As far as I know if you convert an mp3 to a FLAC file it will not increase the quality. However, I have read that MP3 320 kbps are great quality and are very similar to FLAC files (obviously not as great, but still much better than lower quality MP3s).

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.