Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zantaff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
I've been searching many hours for top notch Monitor headphones for around $100. I've narrowed it down to 3 models:

Audio Technica ATH-M50 ~$115
Sony MDR-7506 ~ $90
Sennheiser HD 280 ~$70

I've heard really good things about all of them, and am very torn on which ones should come home with me.
What do you think of the quality and value of these headphones? Any suggestions?

zantaff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
'm a bassist, so it's important the low ends are very solid (not overpowering, though). I've been looking at Monitor headphones for their hifi sound, as well as good sound isolation/low sound leakage.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I just recently purchased the Sony 7506 and am very pleased. They are lighter and more comfortable to wear than I had expected and of course the sound is great. In terms of ruggedness, I see no problem with normal home use. If you were traveling with them a lot or had kids using them, then you may want to look at something that its heavier and more robust.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I've been searching many hours for top notch Monitor headphones for around $100.

Top notch and $100 kinda of mutually excludes one another. If you add another $100, you might get a couple of more choices especially if you're talking about studio monitors.

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
I just bought the Audio Technica ATH-M50's about two weeks ago and have done nothing but love them!

They're awesome. They do what studio monitors are meant to do- stay flat and let the music play how it was mixed. I don't hear anything skewed (like pumping up extra bass like Beats, etc).

The Bass is great. It's definitely there, and the bass is definitely more prominent and clear with these headphones than any in-ear phones I've used before, but it's no where near over powering or excessive. It's right where it needs to be.

I haven't tried the other headphones, but the ATH-M50's are excellent for their price point and I highly recommend them!

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
You don't get top notch monitors for $100. I personally use Shure SRH840s and am really happy with them but they're double your budget.

When people say they want 'top notch monitors for $100', they likely mean 'I want the best headphones I can get for around $100.'

It's probably better to throw out a suggestion in his price range than to tell him he needs to double his budget.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
When people say they want 'top notch monitors for $100', they likely mean 'I want the best headphones I can get for around $100.'

It's probably better to throw out a suggestion in his price range than to tell him he needs to double his budget.

Just telling it like it is. If he wants top notch, he's not going to get it. For that price range, he's going to get a decent pair of headphones with ok sound quality.

KhrisGarcia

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I prefer the Sennheiser HD 380. These are $200 retail but in the past year I've picked up two pairs between $95 and $110 on ebay. They sound amazing with my Duet 2 and iPhone. They're also super comfortable for extended use. The 280's are not the same quality and they hurt my ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.