Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
is any one elses AppleTV update taking rediculously long to update??

i tried it then it failed the first time, took over an hour.

trying it a 2nd time, still going insanely slow, is it a big update or what?

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam

No, my Apple TV updated in less than 4 minutes - I have no bugs to report. It works just fine, much like previous updates worked just fine for me...

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Has anyone had a problem updating software on Apple TV (version 2)?

My upgrade has been processing for at least an hour.

I reset mine before upgrading and it took about five minutes.

Doesn't stream home movies from Home Sharing, just tried unless I am missing a setting

After upgrading ATV I am able to play movies from iTunes 11 via Home Sharing.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Does the new ATV update include built in music visualizer?

I am curious to know because in the updated Remote 3.0 app for iOS there's a button to turn/off the music visualizer. I've been waiting for ATV to support this for ages. I would love to be able to have the iTunes music visualizer on my ATV. With the new software that has just been released for the ATV, can someone confirm if this will work?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I am curious to know because in the updated Remote 3.0 app for iOS there's a button to turn/off the music visualizer. I've been waiting for ATV to support this for ages. I would love to be able to have the iTunes music visualizer on my ATV. With the new software that has just been released for the ATV, can someone confirm if this will work?

That's a feature I would like to see as well, but I didn't see anything in the Apple release notes today indicating anything like that. The visualizer button in Remote.app is for use on a Mac.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
The thing that annoys me most about this "update" is that it does not show your cloud purchases in with your library.

Now, in iTunes 11, they are unified. You can also browse all of them unified in the Remote app.

However, nothing has changed on the ATV. If you want your local iTunes library media, you need to got to Computers, and if you want purchased, you have to go to either TV/Movies section.

Very annoying.

That's disappointing.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Looks nice, liking the new iTunes. Oh, and you can do some UI customising with the 'View' tab on your menu bar.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
i cant get my apple tv to update. im using an appletv 3, in the uk here.

every time i update, it fails. even now after the download has become much faster, it just fails. iv tried restarting it..

timstl

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2008
Going on 40 minutes for "Preparing update..."

Hopefully it eventually works? Seems strange some people have no issue.

Rob1547

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
One of the Apple TV's in my home had some trouble during the update, as others have reported, stuck for ~45 minutes on the "Preparing Update" phase.

For me, unplugging the device, Resetting it to defaults, and then updating the software did the trick.

timothyquinlan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
I just send in feedback on the remote app to apple. This stuff drives me nuts, here is what I sent them:

As an iTunes power user there is one thing omitted from the remote app for IOS that makes it unusable.

Your column browser over the years has trained us to organize our music by genre, then by artist, then by album. I have 7000 albums all sorted this way. In the new remote app if you click genre, you get a list of EVERY album, sometimes many hundreds, with no way to sort it by artists in that genre. The next drill down is songs, which makes the problem even worse. It needs to be genre, then a list of artists in that genre, then drill down to see all of the albums from that artist.

It has worked this way for years, changing it now makes the new itunes and the new remote app completely useless for me with such a large collection. And as you know, I cant uninstall it and go to an old version...

Matman

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
1 hour and still waiting

Does anyone else miss the days when apple stuff just... Well.... Worked? What is this new trend I ask? To many dev trees? Cut back on the test department? One can only hope that robotics, automation, or holographics R&D have bumped the normal daily grind stuff.

juniormaj

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Newbury Park, CA
I tried everything, or so I thought, to make this update work.
Restarts, resets, and even a factory restore.
In the end, I unplugged the wired Ethernet cable and joined my wifi network. Then the update worked. Could be a coincidence.

TeachMeiOS.com

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Not sure how I feel about the update yet

So, I'm usually super excited when ever Apple updates their software. However, I'm not so sure about this iTunes 11 update. There are certain UI things that I like. But overall, this update kind of makes me feel a little like I'm stuck in a box that is hard to navigate. It is not as intuitive as some of the iTunes software updates. Maybe it will just take some time to get used to - we'll see!

mattskaj

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Champaign, IL.
Apple TV update failed to complete

Tried four time last night. Failed to complete every time. Tried reseting the system as well. No joy.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Tried four time last night. Failed to complete every time. Tried reseting the system as well. No joy.

are you using ethernet? some users including myself couldn't update if using ethernet, worked first time when i switched to wifi on the Apple tv. try wifi.

I tried everything, or so I thought, to make this update work.
Restarts, resets, and even a factory restore.
In the end, I unplugged the wired Ethernet cable and joined my wifi network. Then the update worked. Could be a coincidence.

its not.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Don't worry, be happy!

I'm one of the few folks still using the original Apple TV.

I just hope the IOS Remote update doesn't kill my functionality - or it will be back to the old point and click.
Maybe I should just get the new Apple TV, but the old one is still awesome in my book.

I have the original Apple TV and the newest Remote App works just fine, on both an iPad and an iPhone 4S.

timmodugdale

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
Madison, WI
FYI: Lengthy Install

Just to note that the install took a long time. For a while, I was afraid the AppleTV had frozen -- enough that I searched for my micro-USB cable in case I had to restore in iTunes. I even put a piece of tape on the screen to see whether the install was processing. Eventually it progressed through the screens and successfully completed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.