Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You got the larger screen in the 5.

As for the unicorn phone with the all the bands....that's been rumored for years.

Wasn't there just one 4S? I thought if you bought the 4S unlocked you could use it on Verizon or AT&T in the U.S. Of course, the 4S only supported CDMA/EVDO and GSM/HSPA+, but I could've sworn there was just a single 4S and it worked across all the CDMA/GSM bands worldwide.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Lots are asking the same thing. How an antenae can jack the cost up so much with a smaller device, smaller screen, etc. Obviously it's profit margins for Apple.
Even off contract Android phones too. I looked into an off contract note II, and it's price was $649. Around the same price as a Note 10.1 for example.
You don't know?

Apple's iPhone twice as profitable per unit as iPad

iPhones make :apple: 49-58% profit.
iPads make :apple: 23-32% profit.

While you might be paying $199 upfront for a contract iPhone, the carrier is paying the rest ($650 – $199 = $451) to Apple. In other words, you're indirectly paying Apple the remaining ~$451 over the course of the duration of your contract.

With an unlocked iPhone, Apple is looking to make the same amount of profit, thus charging the entire $650.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Contracts, at end of the day, especially in the USA, are absurdly expensive. Why the hell would I want to blow $100+ per month on a cell phone connection? Americans don't know any better. Mobile networks are MUCH cheaper outside of the USA.
I understand how contracts, and subsidies work, but even off contract Android phones are priced higher than Android tablets. Save for the Nexus.4.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
the way i think of it ,, you are paying extra $$ for being under contact just to get the phone cheaply in the first place.

I'd rather pay full pice anyway up front, and have a choice.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Wasn't there just one 4S? I thought if you bought the 4S unlocked you could use it on Verizon or AT&T in the U.S. Of course, the 4S only supported CDMA/EVDO and GSM/HSPA+, but I could've sworn there was just a single 4S and it worked across all the CDMA/GSM bands worldwide.

No, just AT&T. Verizon wouldn't take unlocked GSM phones even if it had a CDMA chip. You are correct that it would work, but that's up to the carrier to decide. Verizon decided no.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Unlocked from the factory is strictly a GSM model (AT&T, T-Mobile in the US). You can't get an unlocked CDMA phone for use on either Sprint or Verizon, but the Verizon model is factory unlocked for use on GSM networks only.

Things are different with LTE. Verizon will let you use any unlocked LTE phone as long as it supports the right bands. LTE is SIM based just like GSM technologies.

I don't know which model Apple is selling as unlocked. But theoretically if they had an iPhone 5 that supported every band, then you can buy an unlocked one from anywhere and use it.

But since Verizon is selling them all unlocked, it's not a big deal either way. The Verizon model supports international LTE bands so IMO that's the best one to own.

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Amurikanz, you will finally experience what we've had in the UK since the beginning :D I'm happy for you!

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Great, now you have an unlocked phone under contract. What good is that?

Well its better then a locked phone under contract. This method is mainly for people that want to travel internationally with a contracted AT&t phone. It does not get you a contract free phone as you are aware. In the US our phones are locked, under contract and even after the contract is completed.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I'm confused. My wife walked into an Apple store and bought a phone outright back in October to give to a friend in China. How is this technically different?

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I'm confused. My wife walked into an Apple store and bought a phone outright back in October to give to a friend in China. How is this technically different?

There is no difference. She has the same version that Apple is getting ready to sell in the Apple Store right now.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
You don't know?

Apple's iPhone twice as profitable per unit as iPad

iPhones make :apple: 49-58% profit.
iPads make :apple: 23-32% profit.

While you might be paying $199 upfront for a contract iPhone, the carrier is paying the rest ($650 – $199 = $451) to Apple. In other words, you're indirectly paying Apple the remaining ~$451 over the course of the duration of your contract.

With an unlocked iPhone, Apple is looking to make the same amount of profit, thus charging the entire $650.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Contracts, at end of the day, especially in the USA, are absurdly expensive. Why the hell would I want to blow $100+ per month on a cell phone connection? Americans don't know any better. Mobile networks are MUCH cheaper outside of the USA.

seems like you haven't been to the Czech Republic yet.

A mobile plan here is more expensive than an equivalent plan in the US, and a subsidised iPhone cost nearly as much as an unlocked iPhone in the US. And on the top of all that, the average salary in the CZ (approx. $1100 a month) is nowhere close to the American average (roughly $3900 a month). So quit moaning, and be thankful for living where you live.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
There is no difference. She has the same version that Apple is getting ready to sell in the Apple Store right now.

So the only news is it's available online through Apple? Good. Got it. I thought there was a variance of some kind for a second there... Thanks.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Let's do some math - total cost of ownership in two years

Straight talk: $650 + 24 x $45 = $1,730
AT&T: $199 + $36(activation)2 + 24 x ($40 voice + $20 text + $30 data) x 10% (TAX) = $2,611

So yes, you save $881 for a better plan

yikes...$90/mo for a phone plan.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Hmm,

I just bought a "device-only" AT&T GSM model yesterday.

Will that already be unlocked, or should I return it for one of these newer models?

htpw16

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
So the only news is it's available online through Apple? Good. Got it. I thought there was a variance of some kind for a second there... Thanks.

It's been well documented that many Apple stores would not simply sell you an unlocked off contract iPhone outright.

nlarson

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Difference between Apple Unlocked and Verizon Unlocked

Hello. Thanks for the comments. As far as hardware, I know the unlocked Verizon phone does not support voice and data at the same time. Is this a hardware limitation on that particular unlocked phone or a Verizon service issue? And I assume the unlocked phone that is factory direct DOES support voice and data at the same time. Thanks.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
It's been well documented that many Apple stores would not simply sell you an unlocked off contract iPhone outright.

And that's what I was telling my wife right after it came out. Then she comes home with one and I'm like, well, wtf do I know? :D

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Apple to Begin Ripping You Off as Soon As Later Today.

How would you know their actual cost of goods, administrative fees and their entire cost structure?

Please list everything you know and then we'll examine your totally unfounded statement.

While you are at figuring out that you don't know any specifics, please specify
what "ripping off" entails.

BTW: Whenever any manufacturer offers a product (whatever that is) and you cannot afford it or do not want to pay what they want to sell it for think before you post about "ripping off"

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
When you buy the sim you can choose between AT&T or T-Mobile. If you get the free phone deal to get the sim for free then it's a gamble depending on your zip code and the phone model.

Straight talk uses the AT&T network.

I got the AT&T sim and I'm using it with my old unlocked AT&T iPhone 4. I think the T-Mobile StraightTalk sim would have been better because a "foreign" SIM might make the APN settings show in the phone's network prefs by default. I'm not sure about that, but the APN info definitely isn't visible with the AT&T StraightTalk SIM.

TimeArrow

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
Coincide with the timing of the news from China Minstry of Industry and Information that iPhone 5's wireless specification is approved and its ready to sell.

No more need to withdraw the unlocked phones in the U.S.!

htpw16

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Hello. Thanks for the comments. As far as hardware, I know the unlocked Verizon phone does not support voice and data at the same time. Is this a hardware limitation on that particular unlocked phone or a Verizon service issue? And I assume the unlocked phone that is factory direct DOES support voice and data at the same time. Thanks.

This limitation is carrier based in a sense that it depends on the technology used by the carrier. The official unlocked iPhone will still not be able to do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon since it would require a third antenna.

From macrumors a while ago:

An Apple spokeswoman told The Times, "It is not yet possible to do simultaneous voice and data on networks that use CDMA for voice and LTE for data in a single radio design."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.