Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I have an iPad 3, and love it for reading, travelling, and browsing the web. I have realised I probably need a computer. I need something which I can use excel, word, and write code on as we'll as keeping my music and data on. This led me to the MacBook Air. Probably 11 inch as when I am at home I can use a monitor. Undecided though.

Does anyone own the 11 MBA and iPad? Is it silly to have both?

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
I own both but if you want something to keep your musical data, you probably need to get a external harddrive. You don't need a macbook air given your needs, any computer will do actually but if you have money to burn, why not.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
They announced Office for IOS next year. Now writing code... what code? what for? self-learning or are u actually going to do something with it? If ur still undecided, u probly don't need one.

I am on the on the other side, have always owned a laptop, and as nice as an iPad seems I can't justify having one since the laptop can do everything already. When they get cheap enough I may get one just for kicks, but I really have no reason for an iPad. In fact lately I've been playing with one, and at only 1.5 LB it surprised me how tiring is to be holding it for an extended amount of time. Laptop, it sits on my lap, no holding.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
For my needs MBA and iPad are a great combination. I was very tempted by the rMBP 15 inch for the screen, but for that money got both the Air and ipad4.

I use the iPad more, and it is the cheapest way to get retina screen. The Air screen is not great but is okay. So, unless you have no need for a computer and can get by with just iPad, it is certainly not redundant to have both, it is ideal ... for me at least ... Combined with a 2412 monitor for the Air when needed, and external drives for backups and media.

davenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
They announced Office for IOS next year. Now writing code... what code? what for? self-learning or are u actually going to do something with it? If ur still undecided, u probly don't need

I write a lot of VBA for my work which is spreadsheet intensive. Also want to look at dabbling in some actual languages but not work related.

I only have about 20gb of music and all my movies are on external hd, so thought 128 would suffice. I was originally set on the 13"

Last edited:

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I own both too along other mpb, they all serve a purpose :) example my ipad 2 pretty much is used for tapatalk (forum browsing) little bit of music and book reading and couple of MTG games; mba for out and about and the rest for work.

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
I had an ipad 2, but sold it a couple weeks ago to buy a 11" MacBook Air. And the more I use it, I realize, that I don't really miss my ipad.

Only for reading magazines I wish I had an iPad...

..which is why I will probably buy an iPad mini 2 when it comes out :D

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Since getting my 11" MBA a couple of weeks ago my iPad has become a glorified ebook reader. I also use it for a bit of web browsing in bed, but that's about it. It's not enough use to justify buying an iPad, but it's enough to want to keep one.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
All I need is an iOS emulator for the Air, so I can run my iPad games...oh and maybe a touch screen!

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
I don't think its silly to have both, but I do think they fulfil different uses.

An MBA is a proper portable computer, for work more than fun. You can code on it (although I don't) and enter data for hours at at time. It's not as much fun as an iPad, nor is it as good at games as an iPad, but it is a brilliant work / fun tool.

An iPad can do almost all the things most people want a laptop for, but it needs an external keyboard for anything that needs more than 10 minutes of typing. When you start carrying the iPad and a keyboard, you eventually come to realise you should have gone for the MBA.

An iPad though is brilliant for fun, rather than work. It's great for surfing, email, social networking, and gaming, and for all these things the MBA is rather heavy, expensive, and over-powered by comparison.

Having both isn't redundant. They are different tools. It really depends what you want a computer to do.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I have both and love them! iPad in the bed at night reading, watching a movie, etc. The Air is great for typing, spreadsheets, more involved projects.

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
My MB Air 11" averages about 5 hrs battery life and my iPad Mini averages about 16 hrs. In relation to battery life, for me, the MB Air has to be mostly for serious work and the iPad Mini for entertainment & media consumption. So no, owning both is not redundant at all.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
sit at an airport and consume content with a 4 hour layover...the ipad does that much better...

as said above - they perform two diff functions...I need both...

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Do you need a laptop? How about a mac mini to handle all your spreadsheet needs.

I couldn't find a laptop that could do everything I need to do well so I bought an ipad for all my mobile work and use a desktop at home.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Do you need a laptop? How about a mac mini to handle all your spreadsheet needs.

I couldn't find a laptop that could do everything I need to do well so I bought an ipad for all my mobile work and use a desktop at home.

I've got a mini at home as my main computer hooked up a Mecury Elite Pro for iTunes storage and time machine backups. I used to have a 13" MBP as well while I was overseas and also an iPad that I owned prior to the MBP. Sold the MBP shortly after getting home because I didn't see a need for it. Kept the iPad for school use, but after this first semester of being back in school, I realized I need a laptop again. Sold the iPad already and I'm looking into an 11" Air for purely short term use while I'm not at home with my mini. I will also be coding on it for school homework.

So to me, owning both a MBA and an iPad was going to be redundant. At home my use of the iPad started dwindling down to just magazines and a few games since my mini was right there with me.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
I ended up selling my ipad 3 once i got my MBA. With my iphone 5 and MBA the iPad was collecting dust. i was gaming on my iphone 5 and sall other internet tasks i used my MBA. Its different for everyone though

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
I don't think its silly to have both, but I do think they fulfil different uses.

An MBA is a proper portable computer, for work more than fun. You can code on it (although I don't) and enter data for hours at at time. It's not as much fun as an iPad, nor is it as good at games as an iPad, but it is a brilliant work / fun tool.

An iPad can do almost all the things most people want a laptop for, but it needs an external keyboard for anything that needs more than 10 minutes of typing. When you start carrying the iPad and a keyboard, you eventually come to realise you should have gone for the MBA.

An iPad though is brilliant for fun, rather than work. It's great for surfing, email, social networking, and gaming, and for all these things the MBA is rather heavy, expensive, and over-powered by comparison.

Having both isn't redundant. They are different tools. It really depends what you want a computer to do.

You're totally right, much better for games!

joewillmott

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
England
MBA for my main work machine and then a tablet for a portable 2nd monitor and to test apps on. For me a 2nd monitor is ideal when coding and I work somewhere else everyday so yeah, MBA and a tablet is incredibly useful.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
I use my MBA for just about anything. The iPad feels more of a supplement to the MBA where I can save things to read later on Pocket or play iOS games. I do not really use the iPad for much besides light web browsing, games, and social network stuff.

I do sometimes like to transfer some TV shows/Movies to the iPad and use the HDMI out to the TV on the go at friends houses. :D

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
I have an iPad 3 and 11" air. Frankly, I would've preferred a 15" macbook pro and an iPad instead because there's not much difference between the 11" and 9.5" in terms of screen size.
I use my iPad a LOT but for real heavy duty work, I could use something more powerful than an air.

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
No. I own both and use both. The ipad mostly but the MacBook Air for school work. I can't do all my school work on my ipad and don't want to sit in bed with my Mac or carry it to a hotel.

Autojeffnic

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Brookfield, CT
Sold my I Pad 2 for my MBA and loving it.

I always seemed to grab my girlfriends extra MBP even with my I pad in the room so I said the MPA 11 inch would be perfect, for my needs

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I have a 13 inch MBA & an iPad, both get used heavily for different reasons. My budget minded husband has even agreed that though these items were expensive I'm getting my money's worth from them. Get both, you won't be sorry.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
They both complement each other nicely. There's certain things the iPad does better, but for content creation I will always reach for my Air. If you're someone who only consumes media then perhaps a laptop isn't really necessary, but for prolonged typing of any sort the Air is a better solution, for me anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.