Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
Where are you located? Most NYC customers are reporting success.

I am in the NYC metro area (northern NJ) and have iPhone 5 with grandfathered unlimited, I rebooted and mine too says call AT&T... I hardly ever use Facetime, but its more the principle of the matter! I honestly rather have LTE in my neck of the woods!

carsteve

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
AT&T unlimited grandfathered. Had it since original iPhone in 2007. iOS 6.0.1. Western NY. Carrier version 13.0. iPhone 5.

DOES NOT WORK.

Tried multiple soft and hard resets.

Still getting prompt to go to website, or call.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Interesting how we have a news story about it being extended and a reach out to AT&T for clarification, but no news story about FT being enabled and then re-disabled.

It's a slow news day too.

Maria265

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Still doesn't work.

I am in Hudson County, New Jersey .... just across the River from Manhattan. I have tried powering my phone off, then back on but I am still not able to turn on "use Cellular Data". Is there anything else I need to do to be able to do so? Or is it just taking AT&T a while to make this feature available in my area?

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I guess it was just a mistake on at&ts end. It is very annoying indeed as I got very excited!

Lets see what happens in the future and if they will allow us Unlimited-ers to have FT over Cellular.

ebock

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
No go in Nashville

Not working in the Nashville area. iPhone 5 unlimited for me iPhone 4S for my wife tiered.

jbaesman

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
no luck in ATL

iPhone 5 with unlimited in Atlanta... tried to restart and a hard reset... c'mon ATT...

RonFromOregon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
I posted earlier that mine was working near Portland, Oregon... now it's turned off again. It worked well for the few days that I had it.

MDiddy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
I'm in Chicago and just tried using this for the first time and got a prompt to call AT&T. I'm on an iPhone 5 with an original iPhone unlimited plan. Was this shut down?

Maria265

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Just Confirmed with AT&T

Today is December 14th. I just had an on-line chat with an AT&T representative. She confirmed that within 8 to 10 weeks we will be able to use FaceTime-Over-Cellular. This even applies to those of us who have grandfathered in unlimited data plans!! :)

prk60091

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
I believe FT over cellular is market specific. I was out of town this past week visiting a relative in Ft Lauderdale went only with my 4s. I had a good solid 4g signal on my 4s yet I could not FT over cellular.

I returned to Chicago and I was unable to FT over cellular. then I turned FT off and rebooted the phone. After the phone came back on I turned FT back on and I was back to being able to FT over cellular. Ymmv

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
I just tried it today on my iPhone 5 AT&T 5gb data plan I live in Lewisburg PA, I did a hard reset and now I am able to facetime over cellular!

vthree

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
is there anyway we can start a poll to see who has it where?

i think this would be nicer to see. plus im dying to know who else can do this in Dallas.. almost switched to mobile share plan seemed like a good deal, but there are 2 lines with unlimited data..

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
I just tried it today on my iPhone 5 AT&T 5gb data plan I live in Lewisburg PA, I did a hard reset and now I am able to facetime over cellular!

Since you're on a tiered data plan, you're capable.

The ones without it seem to be those of us with the grandfathered Unlimited data plans.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Since you're on a tiered data plan, you're capable.

The ones without it seem to be those of us with the grandfathered Unlimited data plans.

Look back through the messages here, quite a few grandfathered in plans are still working. I am grandfathered in and I just rebooted my phone and now it works. Not sure what happened today because it has been rebooted recently and it was off until I just tried it.

EDIT : Worked for a bit then stopped working and now back to "Off". :(

Last edited:

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Facetime Over AT&T Cellular (Unlimited Plan)?

I believe I read that AT&T was starting to allow Facetime over cellular if you have an unlimited plan? Don't know if I dreamed it but from what I remember, people were starting to see that they could use FT without having a regular plan. Mine says I need to have an eligible data plan so I can only use it over WiFi. My daughter's phone is on the 3GB plan so she can use her's anywhere.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I believe I read that AT&T was starting to allow Facetime over cellular if you have an unlimited plan? Don't know if I dreamed it but from what I remember, people were starting to see that they could use FT without having a regular plan. Mine says I need to have an eligible data plan so I can only use it over WiFi. My daughter's phone is on the 3GB plan so she can use her's anywhere.

Yes AT&T has allowed it with unlimited accounts. But I'm having trouble contacting AT&T customer service to get my issue of not being able to FT over cellular resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.