Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Any bands still 'holidng out' should get on iTunes.

If some kid stumbles upon a band, be they as huge as AC/DC or some obscure act they've just read about someplace, if they can't spend their iTunes voucher they'll go looking on pirate sources.

It's that simple.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
I agree. AC/DC is too late to make any revenue now.

Most classic rock fans I know have already ripped from a (borrowed-from-a-friend) CD albums and then digitally copied to their Macs/PCs, thanks to the absence of "legitimate" purchasable albums (via iTunes, Amazon, etc) from the band.

In other words, everyone that ever cared ALREADY has digital tracks of AC/DC on their computers and iPods. Why would they go spend money now?
No quite "everyone". Me, for instance. The way I tend to use iTunes is thus: I play the 90s excerpts from an album; if there's only one or two tracks that I like, I buy from iTunes; if there's more, I buy the CD from Amazon (it usually works out cheaper, and I can rip at better that 256).

So I might actually end up buying AC/DC's albums off the back of this. But perhaps I'm the only one, eh? :rolleyes:

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
I have never understood why a band would reject digital downloads to preserve the album experience instead of single song purchases when they can make all the songs on the album "album only" meaning the only way to buy the songs is to buy the whole album. I'm assuming they just don't realize this is an option?
To be honest, I don't understand the whole 'preserving the concept of the album' argument anyway. If that were the case, they wouldn't have released any 7" singles. But they did. :confused:

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Just to clarify here- Country music outsells all rock, pop, R&B, and hip hop year after year.
No, it doesn't. It's more popular on the radio, but it sells fewer songs and albums, and far fewer people attend country concerts as opposed to rock concerts.

I didn't find any data for downloads.

or they were lazy to import their CD's into iTunes...
This. You will never go broke by overestimating people's laziness. Especially mine.

Although for me, and I suspect a lot of people, the situation unfolds thusly:

1. I'd like some AC/DC.
2. Oh, they're not on iTunes. Well, I'll look for the CD at Amazon.
3. CDs are $10 apiece; I don't want to buy all of them...so I'll just get one.
4. Four years later...
5. Oh, AC/DC is now on iTunes. I should get some.

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Without getting into the nuts and bolts of recording contracts, advances, pooling, recoupment, etc. etc. AC/DC really has only themselves to blame.

This isn't about piracy so much as it is being bound to archaic contract terms which still emphasize the album.

The basic problem is that they don't have a fractionalized contract (rare) where they'd get an advance for each single. They get an album advance... and they have to pay it back. And AC/DC probably collects large advances at this point in their career so they need to generate significantly larger sales than the old days in order to repay the label, but times and tastes have changed... but so did distribution.

While one song or two was enough to get people to buy the whole album back in the day, customers now have a very convenient option not to (not even accounting for piracy)... but bands in general haven't become tremendously more adept at songwriting when this change came. They still get by on one good hit or two per album.

So, the solution to AC/DC's problem is this: Either tighten your pockets and stop asking for advances out of line with your shrinking place in music, or write consistently good albums that people will actually be compelled to buy all tracks.

As much as I like their music for what it is: basic meat and potatoes rock, I've rarely ever seen a band make a 40 year career out of recycling the same single entendre over and over--every song of theirs is a cheap metaphor for sex, and they all have a relatively similar sound. It's no wonder they feel threatened... The barely talented always fear change, and rightly so. They're the least capable of adapting.

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
To be fair, they aren't nearly as successful and shouldn't have nearly the clout they do. They're a decent band and I know it's just my opinion but are really overrated - too much droning nonsense.
I don't disagree but they seem to be the last notable (debatable I'm sure) hold out.

Though I'm not that impressed my iTunes availability anymore. When streaming services (Spotify, MOG) have access to the former iTunes holdouts, I'll know the future is upon us.

anutharoundu

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
People were just getting the music other ways anyways. They might as well make some money.

101.gif

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
With the AC/DC catalogue having been released on the iTunes store, I'm tempted to pick up some of the familiar tunes & albums from my youth. I'm wanting the Complete Box Set (including the live albums) but can't afford it all up front, so I'm likely to buy individual albums & tracks from within it then doing a "complete my album" at a later date. If I buy an individual album from the boxset, would I get the iTunes LP content associated with that album? Or do you just get the one big iTunes LP with the full boxset and the iTunes LP content for a each album can only be had with buying said albums individually outside of the box set.

I've usually bought this sort of boxset physically before now (Beatles stereo & mono, Pink Floyd Discovery) & ripped into iTunes but it really is high time to go exclusively digital now.

Thanks in advance for any clues, advice etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.