Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I went thru several N7's (screen lift) before I got a good one.

I was also having problems with the pull down menu in 4.2 until I realized that the pull down menu is now in the upper right corner of the screen instead of the middle top. :eek:

Sorry to hear. Glad you finally got a good one. Defects are always unfortunate and frustrating to deal with.

Regarding the notification pull down, I'm referring to this exchange:

Even on a tablet sized screen (Nexus 7 in my case) I have to swipe 4/5 times to get one of those single bars to swipe away because they are too narrow for this action to be practical.

The notifications are narrow? It's a solid bar of information.

I don't know, mate. I don't have trouble swiping notifications away... at all. I've never heard anyone missing it or struggling because it's too narrow. Practice some more? :confused:

EDIT: How does one have troubling swiping away bars this big? Not trying to demean in anyway. Serious question. It shouldn't be difficult.

nexus-7-notifications.jpg

Really don't know how those notifications are too narrow to swipe away. :confused:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Sorry to hear. Glad you finally got a good one. Defects are always unfortunate and frustrating to deal with.

Regarding the notification pull down, I'm referring to this exchange:

Really don't know how those notifications are too narrow to swipe away. :confused:
Thanks for posting the pic, it shows those who do not have an N7 a great shot of it... in hand.

What I like about my Nexus 7 is it's width of just 120 mm, as opposed to my iPad mini at 135 mm. While just 15 mm difference, I find it ideal to hold one handed, as I use gesture based input... swiping is my preferred method. Fast fun and efficient it's excellent for a mid size tablet.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks for posting the pic, it shows those who do not have an N7 a great shot of it... in hand.

What I like about my Nexus 7 is it's width of just 120 mm, as opposed to my iPad mini at 135 mm. While just 15 mm difference, I find it ideal to hold one handed, as I use gesture based input... swiping is my preferred method. Fast fun and efficient it's excellent for a mid size tablet.

I think the iPad Mini is bit too wide too. Not that big of a deal though, but the N7 is definitely more comfortable. The round edges help a bit too.

tiiim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
Well got my nexus 7. Initial impressions the hardware is fantastic very impressed. The OS from a iOS user point of view taking ages to retrain my brain though. So still exploring it. But initial impressions are positive.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Well got my nexus 7. Initial impressions the hardware is fantastic very impressed. The OS from a iOS user point of view taking ages to retrain my brain though. So still exploring it. But initial impressions are positive.

That was probably the biggest adjustment for me. Everything was just 'different' with the OS...so it took a couple days to understand the settings, the buttons and get to where everything was second nature. I think I tried to push the 'Home' button a dozen times.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think the iPad Mini is bit too wide too. Not that big of a deal though, but the N7 is definitely more comfortable. The round edges help a bit too.

Agreed but I don't find the Mini uncomfortable, just the N7 a bit more comfortable. Unfortunately, the tradeoff is a smaller screen and while the text isn't as crisp on the Mini, I do like the extra screen real estate. Also, the feature where the device allows you to hold it with your thumb on the screen and not affecting touch gestures is great.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
We bought one and it has been collecting dust. I mostly got it because my wife insisted we "needed" an iPad again (sold our old one since it was collecting dust just the same). All the while I knew she wouldn't use it. She wanted it for couch web surfing, but prefers to use her phone when doing that, as do I. This is one of those "different strokes for different folks" situations, but I simply cannot understand how a straight tablet is useful to so many people. yet they, especially the iPad, are selling like hotcakes.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
We bought one and it has been collecting dust. I mostly got it because my wife insisted we "needed" an iPad again (sold our old one since it was collecting dust just the same). All the while I knew she wouldn't use it. She wanted it for couch web surfing, but prefers to use her phone when doing that, as do I. This is one of those "different strokes for different folks" situations, but I simply cannot understand how a straight tablet is useful to so many people. yet they, especially the iPad, are selling like hotcakes.

I don't think I can browse the internet on my 4S longer than 10 minutes, then my eyes get tired and I get annoyed. A tablet makes couch surfing, and bed surfing, hell even throne surfing that much more enjoyable.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I don't think I can browse the internet on my 4S longer than 10 minutes, then my eyes get tired and I get annoyed. A tablet makes couch surfing, and bed surfing, hell even throne surfing that much more enjoyable.

This. Mine sits by the couch and I mostly use it for email, quick interne searches, app checks and reading . far easier than using my iPhone or getting my laptop.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

That's fair enough. I think more people agree with you than with me (based on sales alone LOL!). Was just sharing my feelings. :)

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Another point, since installing the latest OTA upgrade, the battery life on this thing is absolutely pathetic.

I could leave my iPad in my bag for 2 weeks and it would still have battery life when I wake it up. I leave the Nexus 7 in my bag on sleep for 2 days and it is completely dead when I try to wake it up and won't even turn on without being plugged in first.

Also annoying is the fact that charging via USB takes an inordinate amount of time.

Again though, I can't complain too much because of how dirt cheap this thing is, it's miles better than the Asus Transformer Infinity that I bought and returned after a week which costs more than twice the N7.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Another point, since installing the latest OTA upgrade, the battery life on this thing is absolutely pathetic.

I could leave my iPad in my bag for 2 weeks and it would still have battery life when I wake it up. I leave the Nexus 7 in my bag on sleep for 2 days and it is completely dead when I try to wake it up and won't even turn on without being plugged in first.

Also annoying is the fact that charging via USB takes an inordinate amount of time.

Again though, I can't complain too much because of how dirt cheap this thing is, it's miles better than the Asus Transformer Infinity that I bought and returned after a week which costs more than twice the N7.

I noticed the poor battery life as well after the update.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I also agree with the poor battery life on the N7 after the 4.2 update. I'm barely using my N7 anymore, but I used to be able to leave it sitting there for days and come back to at least some battery left, now it's draining itself dry in under two days with no use.

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I wish there was a way to downgrade to the version of Android that was installed out of the box. I hate the new 2 pull-down menus of this update + the horrendous battery life.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I wish there was a way to downgrade to the version of Android that was installed out of the box. I hate the new 2 pull-down menus of this update + the horrendous battery life.

Agreed, I commented on the new notification centre + quick settings setup the other day- it's stupid that you have to now consciously aim for the top left to get the notification centre. I used to swipe down from the right more, I'm pretty sure, as it now feels so clunky and unnatural. It should at the very least be an option to choose whether to use the two pull-down menu setup.

Also, why is basically the only place in the OS that bounce-back exists in the notification centre/quick settings pull-down animation? It feels so weird that the rest of the OS feels so clunky and rigid when swiping (e.g. you can be flying up/down a list or a webpage, then SMACK, you're at the end and any further swipes up/down will result in no response, other than that pathetic glow that you can't even notice most of the time), then you have the notification centre extend far past where it needs to, then bounce back. It's weirdly inconsistent with how the rest of the OS performs and felt much better in 4.1.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I don't mind the dual memos...it's sort of a right thumb/left thumb thing for me.

But I agree that it does seem to drain the battery a lot faster.

ed

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Agreed, I commented on the new notification centre + quick settings setup the other day- it's stupid that you have to now consciously aim for the top left to get the notification centre. I used to swipe down from the right more, I'm pretty sure, as it now feels so clunky and unnatural. It should at the very least be an option to choose whether to use the two pull-down menu setup.

Also, why is basically the only place in the OS that bounce-back exists in the notification centre/quick settings pull-down animation? It feels so weird that the rest of the OS feels so clunky and rigid when swiping (e.g. you can be flying up/down a list or a webpage, then SMACK, you're at the end and any further swipes up/down will result in no response, other than that pathetic glow that you can't even notice most of the time), then you have the notification centre extend far past where it needs to, then bounce back. It's weirdly inconsistent with how the rest of the OS performs and felt much better in 4.1.

I feel like Google's model is to release OS upgrades as soon as possible even when theyre not complete and then work on separate pieces through individual patchers rather than Apple who wait and wait until an OS version is 98% complete before releasing it.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I have a Nexus 7 - it's good as far as android devices go, always gets prompt updates etc.

Unfortunately I can't really find much use for it - a week can go by without me picking it up.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have a Nexus 7 - it's good as far as android devices go, always gets prompt updates etc.

Unfortunately I can't really find much use for it - a week can go by without me picking it up.

I'm kind of like that too, haven't really fallen in love with Android and the N7 is still too small unless I'm pocketing it and traveling, that's where it shines. But I find myself often wishing I had windows 8 or at least iOS when I use it more and more. I can't put a finger on it, but there is something unfinished about Android, but then again I get that feeling about iOS as well so it's a crapshoot.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I think whe always stuck wanting more for everythinh spinedoc :) its normal, im sure i will have my rants over android/nexus 4 overtime and eventually when i grab a windows 8 device.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I use the Nexus 7 so little it's just shown me how limited the form factor is for me - I wouldn't want an iPad4 or any other tablet because I wouldn't use it for anything.

I prefer my phone or iPod Touch5 for casual browsing and reading ebooks; my laptop for everything else.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I use the Nexus 7 so little it's just shown me how limited the form factor is for me - I wouldn't want an iPad4 or any other tablet because I wouldn't use it for anything.

I prefer my phone or iPod Touch5 for casual browsing and reading ebooks; my laptop for everything else.

If you read a lot of ebooks and forum browsing you should consider a tablet mate, if only interested in iOS my ipad 2 was well worth the purchase and battery is fantastic :) screen its not a problem atleast for me.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think whe always stuck wanting more for everythinh spinedoc :) its normal, im sure i will have my rants over android/nexus 4 overtime and eventually when i grab a windows 8 device.

This is true, we always want more. I don't know what it is, I keep trying Android devices and I just can't fall in love with it. I liked my nexus 7 for its pocketability but I'm finding I'm not really using it much. Monday is my last day to return it, I think I'm going to do just that. I wish the ipad mini were 7", but it's too big also.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If you read a lot of ebooks and forum browsing you should consider a tablet mate, if only interested in iOS my ipad 2 was well worth the purchase and battery is fantastic :) screen its not a problem atleast for me.

Agreed, I can't get enough of tablets. In fact tablets has become my favorite form factor. I use them for browsing, watching movies, playing games, reading books.

I was just like the person you responded to. I always asked myself why do I need a tablet? It wasn't until I bought the original Kindle Fire and found myself reading, web browsing, playing games. I added an iPad after that.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
I'm currently wondering about the Nexus 7 versus the iPad Mini. The Mini has a bigger screen, comparable resolution and from what I've seen, outperforms the Nexus 7.

Is there any point if you already have an iPad 2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.