Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
What do you guys think? Rather pointless feature, I know. But would you be happy if Apple provided people with the option of their Apple logo on the back of their phone lighting up every time the phone was woken up?

The feature would be available for both black and white iPhones and, as stated above, would be optional - people could turn off the option since it'd probably eat more battery.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I can confirm that they are definitely going to do this (my friend works at Apple).

It's not just going to be a typical glowing Apple logo, but actually a small OLED display in the shape of an Apple. Apps will be able to cycle and blink the Apple-shaped light, and also use it to display indicators (like incoming message notifications).

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
YES! Although we are talking precious micrometers here.

----------

but actually a small OLED display in the shape of an Apple. Apps will be able to cycle and blink the Apple-shaped light, and also use it to display indicators (like incoming message notifications).

That sound too gimmicky, a departure from Apple's simplicity.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Anything that has no real point or useful feature that USES battery life when people are already trying to squeeze as much life out of the phone as possible....No thank you!

Last edited:

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
So basically a tacky notification LED, Apple really seem to be reaching if this is there next big "innovation".

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I can confirm that they are definitely going to do this (my friend works at Apple).

It's not just going to be a typical glowing Apple logo, but actually a small OLED display in the shape of an Apple. Apps will be able to cycle and blink the Apple-shaped light, and also use it to display indicators (like incoming message notifications).

My uncle drives Jony Ive (he calls him Johnny 5) to the marketplace and he laughed at the notion of a light-up logo.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth

Ok then... What will the iPad mini 2 feature? :rollseyes:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I wish they had a hidden notification light in the speaker grill that you can turn on or off.

Wouldn't be able to even see if you didn't want it :)

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'd be happy with a notification LED. Put it in the middle of the home button, hidden away

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I wish they had a hidden notification light in the speaker grill that you can turn on or off.

Wouldn't be able to even see if you didn't want it :)

This is the best solution. Go the HTC route. Hide it in/by the speaker grill. Don't like it? You'll never knew it existed.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
An oled apple symbol would be cool, for people that don't want to look at their phone to see if something came in, or keep it face down at meetings or works, oled screens take very minimal amount of energy, but it is a step away from apples more simplistic design

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
An oled apple symbol would be cool, for people that don't want to look at their phone to see if something came in, or keep it face down at meetings or works, oled screens take very minimal amount of energy, but it is a step away from apples more simplistic design

That's called a RAZR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.