Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lahlah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
so i've got a very nice 17" powerbook G4 with 1GB RAM, superdrive, whole works. i use it for graphics work at my place of employment, and i've been having a consistent problem with the RAM. it seems to just chew it up like mad. now i've heard that osx does this, but i mean... it goes through the 1GB *and* 3GB of paged hard drive space. all this during fairly simple photoshop operations. it's gotten to the point where i can't save my work because it doesn't have the RAM to do it. it seems to do this no matter what the task (running idle with only 30/1000mb RAM free?) but especially with photoshop.

thanks for your help :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Not being able to save because your don't have enough ...X... usually refers to the hard drive space. Are you sure of the message?

Any free RAM under OSX tends to be consumed by the OS -- it is no longer like OS9 where you can assign and see the RAM allocated to each program. So running with little free RAM isn't necessarily indicative of a problem

But big photoshop jobs with many layers CAN demand a lot of RAM. If you are running into problems, it may be worth looking at bumping that machine to 1.5 or 2 Gb of memory.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I have 2 GB of RAM in my PB 17 1.33 and Photoshop can still lag sometimes. Usually it's when I'm working on a 750 MB - 1.5 GB file though.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
When I work with huge files I only have Photoshop running. Pretty sure it doesn't have a memory leak - it's just the painfully slow bus on the portable line.

lahlah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
heh, was afraid it'd be another "that's how it is" situation... thanks for the info though :rolleyes:

and about the HD space... unless a 64mb file is trying to save as something greater than 3.9gb, it's not a space issue. i just assumed that it gobbled too much as page and didn't have enough to save it. which...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.