Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
What specifically were you looking for? This is a huge update.
I was looking for improved aTV metadata tagging system that makes some sense. They still have a format that basically is a music scheme with movie data squeeze in using non-intuitive fields.

_dob_

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2003
Remote app updated as well

Might be worth mentioning that the Remote app has been updated to version 3.0 as well, with support for "Up Next" and "Expanded View".

In fact, its a bit odd now to use the Remote app to control an iTunes library with an interface that is similar yet different from the actual Music app (which has no "Up Next", "Expanded View" or sidebar support currently). I would hope the Music app would be brought up to speed so I can use "Up Next" with my iTunes Match library, because currently you can only do that from a Mac (or Remote app controlling said Mac).

In due time I guess.

And oh, personally I think iTunes 11 was much needed. Fast and slick with great library search and store browsing/discovering.

midiotlv

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Up Next is not a replacement for iTunes DJ (as the original article suggests). iTunes DJ had much more functionality (especially the remote voting feature which used to make my Android friends very jealous). I can't understand the rationale for removing this...hopefully it gets put back in at some point.

corsa

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Now it's possible to add multiple airplay speakers, that wasn't possible before, was it? :)

Yes, it was possible before. iTunes 10 for sure, not sure how far back before that. (I still have one of my Macs on iTunes 10.)

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
So basically the update is purely fluff. Nothing of substance to speak of. Apple have been dropping the ball recently so this comes as no surprise.

Don't be such a Debbie downer. You don't like it? Don't download. Simple. Just cause you hate it doesn't mean others do.

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Cover Flow back!

Please put coverflow back!
Costumers should have options to view their media.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Wow, I'm impressed. Love how you can now stream your iTunes purchases. Forgive me if this implementation has been in past versions but my last purchase was like 5 years ago. I didn't even know I had some of the songs :D

Pretty nice visually and like some have said, a lot more responsive.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Don't be such a Debbie downer. You don't like it? Don't download. Simple. Just cause you hate it doesn't mean others do.

He's right though. No streaming, canned coverflow, no social options for sharing, sidebar switched off by default which ofcourse makes navigating so much easier :confused: Can't say I'm a fan so far.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Cue the many people who ask about iPod Games now because of it now appearing even though you don't have any. :rolleyes:

Coverflow was nice when we used to have just list views, now it's just overkill with album covers. The new extended view makes up for it anyway IMO, love love love love it.

LOVE the new Genre view too. Much, much, much better.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
THANK APPLE! The first time I've EVER opened iTunes and didn't spend a half hour cussing the day they were born. Works flawlessly on my 30k plus library over NAS. No lag, no slow downs, no nothing. I thought it hiccuped once when pulling apps, but it was just connecting the phone. FINALLY a version that works!!!! Please don't screw it up.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Yay! No more cover flow. It never seemed like a good UX design...

Totally agreed. Coverflow *looked* good, but I prefer not to page through each and every album's artwork to get what I am looking for -- I prefered List View or Grid view anyday over cover flow. I never used Cover Flow *at all*, although it "looked pretty" and Steve seemed to like it very much.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Miss my coverflow already... :'(

No Cover Flow, no download :cool:

Want coverflow back.

No Coverflow? No thanks, I'll stick with iTunes 10 then.

Sorry guys, once Microsoft rips something off, you know it's yesterday's news and it's time to move on. ;)

iphonexbox.jpg

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
What specifically were you looking for? This is a huge update.
iTunes Match controls! You know, the ability to RE-Match and UN-Match the ridiculous mistakes that Match made a year ago and which we can't fix now. I have many hundreds of songs that shouldn't have been matched and which are unchangeably Matched now. And how about fixes for missing album artwork in Match? Stuff like that, you know?

From what I see, the update for the end user amounts to a graphical change and not much more. There are very few BENEFITS gained by users in iTunes 11. And that is maddening - there are a lot of things Apple needed to fix, and those things appear to have been swept under the rug.

mozart11

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Why in the world would Apple take away the ability to open the store or Playlist in a new Window?

Insane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.