Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
I need to burn multiple small runs of blu-ray discs (5-20 per). Using two drives simultaneously would cut down on the process time. I've done some googling, but obviously not very successfully.

Does Encore CS6 do this itself? I will be using Encore to author the discs.

I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro 2.8 quad w/ 1 OWC external Blu-ray burner attached via eSATA. I can add a second drive to the eSATA card.

Unfortunately I do not have the budget for a small external duplicator, but adding the second drive will be no problem. Software I have some budget for if I need to step outside of Adobe-land.

Thanks much.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Disk Utility can record to multiple drives simultaneously so if Encore (which I've never used) can produce an image file then you should be able to do the burning with DU. Test it with the single drive first just to make sure though! :)

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.

Thanks much for the link (and associated searching on my behalf), but I think it might be a visual thing. I'm not looking to do copy protection (CSS), but use Adobe CS6. Unless, there's something else in that thread that I'm missing entirely.

----------

Disk Utility can record to multiple drives simultaneously so if Encore (which I've never used) can produce an image file then you should be able to do the burning with DU. Test it with the single drive first just to make sure though! :)

I never though of Disk Utility. Encore can produce a disk image. I don't know how "smart" Disk Utility is in the sense of what I want to do, telling it I want to produce 8 discs, so 4 runs of 2X each or if I need to do each round manually. I'll have to experiment with that.

Last edited:

dunderheid

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
Och Aye The Noo
Try two Toasts!

In the past, I have successfully burnt two copies of a CD at the same time, by duplicating my copy of Toast (calling the copy Toast2 or the like) and running the two Toasts simultaneously. Use a disc image you have made with Encore. (Can't really remember, but you might require two (identical) images, one for each copy of Toast). Only thing I'm not sure about is Toast's ability to burn blue-ray although I'm pretty sure it can. Toast would let you do your two runs of four in each drive. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Interestingly enough, a 4-drive blu-ray duplicator has entered my universe, so I don't have to resolve this quandary just yet.

Thanks for the ideas.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I have a 7 disc DVD duplicator at work. It's worth its weight in gold, and only cost A$900. I highly recommend duplicators. Our last one cost about the same and lasted for about 8 years and we put thousands of discs through it.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
I have a 7 disc DVD duplicator at work. It's worth its weight in gold, and only cost A$900. I highly recommend duplicators. Our last one cost about the same and lasted for about 8 years and we put thousands of discs through it.

Duplicator are great(ish--still a clunkier interface than I'd like, but...). We have a new 10-disc DVD duplicator, but that's no so helpful for blu-ray and it's still under warranty, so I'm not going to swap out all the drives yet. Check back with me next year on that.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
We have a new 10-disc DVD duplicator, but that's no so helpful for blu-ray and it's still under warranty, so I'm not going to swap out all the drives yet. Check back with me next year on that.

"I was just carrying it down the stairs and I dropped it" :D

Duplicator are great(ish--still a clunkier interface than I'd like, but...).
Mine's set for Auto. Put the disc in, load the blanks and walk away. The nifty thing is sometimes I get a disc my Mac doesn't like, run off a copy on the duplicator, and Hey! Presto!, the Mac likes the copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.