Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foranor

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Wow, ten Pages full of an issue that in real-life use of the device will bother you what... 52 times a year for 2-3 seconds?

Try having an iPad 3 and no location based reminders tho promised.

JP2012

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Wow, ten Pages full of an issue that in real-life use of the device will bother you what... 52 times a year for 2-3 seconds?

Try having an iPad 3 and no location based reminders tho promised.

I watch 2-3 movies on my iPad a week, for me its more then 52 times a year for 2-3 seconds....

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i tried over and over again to replicate the issue the OP and others have discussed here, however i am unable to. i have excellent vision and an eye for defects (i'm a quality engineer by profession). so my unit must not be affected.

however, my iPad 4 suffers from the dreaded heat problem that many had with their iPad 3's. i had an iPad 3 that i bought in October, and the Apple Store allowed me to return it for a store credit to pre-order an iPad 4. it just came yesterday and i've noticed that even on 1/3 brightness when browsing websites it gets very warm. on the left side - about midway down to the left bottom corner (in portrait mode).

i tried to play Metal Storm and it got so hot that my hands started sweating. my iPad 3 never got this hot so something must be wrong. since it's Thanksgiving i won't worry about it today, but tomorrow afternoon i will go into the Apple Store and show them the problem. i'll tell them to leave Metal Storm on for 5 minutes and see what i mean. it's as if i am putting my hand over the fan vent port on my laptop while i'm running Handbrake encoding

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I see what you're talking about. I was watching the dark knight rises the other day and I saw the "pumping" of brightness as if the screen is calibrating or something. It's most prominent at the part where batman was getting trashed by bane in the epic fight. It does held annoying though, I also tried it on my ipad mini and it doesn't have this issue.

GabeA

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Hate to add a useless "me too" to this stew, but I registered specifically to do just that.
The auto contrast is abhorrent when watching anime content or content with dark scenes and light grain. The screen flickers absurdly, changing color, brightness, and tint every few seconds in some cases. It's beyond annoying, it's maddening.

As the poster above stated, it's more obvious with some content than others. Live action doesn't bother me as much (though it DOES still bother me). Buying this device as a premium entertainment solution only to find that it butchers my video content, changes color and tint and contrast at whim, and offers not even the simple option to turn such tricks off... Like another poster mentioned, it's worse than an old TV where at least the option to turn off this behavior exists.

My friend's android device actually has an option for auto contrast in the player. Not only that, but the auto contrast works better to boot. Not pleased right now. Not pleased at all.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i tried over and over again to replicate the issue the OP and others have discussed here, however i am unable to. i have excellent vision and an eye for defects (i'm a quality engineer by profession). so my unit must not be affected.

however, my iPad 4 suffers from the dreaded heat problem that many had with their iPad 3's. i had an iPad 3 that i bought in October, and the Apple Store allowed me to return it for a store credit to pre-order an iPad 4. it just came yesterday and i've noticed that even on 1/3 brightness when browsing websites it gets very warm. on the left side - about midway down to the left bottom corner (in portrait mode).

i tried to play Metal Storm and it got so hot that my hands started sweating. my iPad 3 never got this hot so something must be wrong. since it's Thanksgiving i won't worry about it today, but tomorrow afternoon i will go into the Apple Store and show them the problem. i'll tell them to leave Metal Storm on for 5 minutes and see what i mean. it's as if i am putting my hand over the fan vent port on my laptop while i'm running Handbrake encoding

well i also found that there is light bleed all along the left side of the iPad when in portrait mode.

enough is enough

i ditched it for an iPad Mini

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
well i also found that there is light bleed all along the left side of the iPad when in portrait mode.

enough is enough

i ditched it for an iPad Mini

LOL!!!!! you were on here ripping on anyone who had picked the mini over the 4 up until today and now all of a sudden it had issues??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Watch the first Bane/Batman fight scene in TDKR... It is atrocious. The contrast constantly fluctuates through the whole thing. It is the first time I really noticed but it almost made it unwatchable.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I have my ipad 4 for almost 2 weeks now and have been using it for that long daily. I do not get the same issues OP is having at all. No matter how bright my screen or dark it is or the ambient light being very bright to pitch black, I don't have this issue at all. I don't get the high contrast springboard issue either.

Perhaps it affects not certain make model batches of iPads. I got mine just two weeks ago.

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
I didn't notice any issue until yesterday

I was playing some of the clips from "Dark Knight Rises" posted by others on Youtube and the dark scene where Bane fights with Batman down below his armery I could tell that several times the contrast fluctuated throughout. I will play with it some more and test other videos out; I hate returning products and exchanging them unless I'm absolutely sure that something is wrong. I do have to admit though, that this contrast issue does seem to be apparent and it's not just some people "being too picky" about the device.

My view, if I spend $600 on this device (32 GB), the contrast flickering issue is something that should not be acceptable by any means. Now, if they can fix the issue with a software update, I will be more than satisfied with that. Like I stated above, I will continue to monitor this issue more; I purchased the ipad at Best Buy so I have until January 24th to return it for a full refund or exchange.

Other than this one possible issue, the ipad 4 has been fantastic.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I have my ipad 4 for almost 2 weeks now and have been using it for that long daily. I do not get the same issues OP is having at all. No matter how bright my screen or dark it is or the ambient light being very bright to pitch black, I don't have this issue at all. I don't get the high contrast springboard issue either.

Perhaps it affects not certain make model batches of iPads. I got mine just two weeks ago.

This is also my experience as well. I upgraded from 1st Gen iPad three weeks ago.

Xomegax

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
This is also happening on mine. Des anyone know if apple has confirmed if this is just a sw bug? It doesn't appear to happen anywhere else, just dark videos.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
My iPad 3 does the same thing and I noticed it with some content as well on my HP TouchPad, but not as much as the iPad. It's definitely jarring if you're watching something in a dark room.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I have tried to replicate this issue (Just for giggles really), but can't replicate it.

I must admit though if the problem was as widespread as the OP states, I would imagine we would see more posts/media attention to it, but the fact is we don't, so I can only imagine that means that ether the problem is only relevant in a very specific situation or its a hardware/software fault effecting a certain batch.

GabeA

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Yes, any dark video will show this behavior. Most noticeable in a dark room. I tried to get used to it over the past week, but its only gotten more on my nerves. It's morbidly hilarious to see bright white subtitles come up in a dark scene...they dim to a dark gray due to the backlight changes and then occasionally pop back to being white and off-white every few seconds... This is terrible. And I haven't even gotten to the color changes on walls and faces in dark scenes. Absolutely unwatchable on any dark movie source. Grain or no, live action or not. It's a "feature" enabled in iOS6 for A6 (and A5?) SoC's. That's right, after some reading on the SoC, I've depressingly concluded "it's a feature, not a bug." Welcome to post-Jobs Micr-apple logic.

The whole backlight keeps pumping in addition to the blatantly fluctuating contrast and tint. This is a much poorer implementation of battery saving than the Tegra 3 uses (pump up colors/saturation and turn down backlight according to some absurdly naive algorithm to save a few % battery). Like much of iOS6, it has turned out to be depressingly half-baked and untested. Without Steve, it seems QA has fallen so low I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The device (software-wise at least) has clearly fallen from its "premium" pedestal while keeping the premium price. Having paid $600 for a device to play crystal clear video only for it to absolutely ruin the video...I think I'm leaning toward sadness here.

Funny thing is it can all be fixed in a software update (same with Maps, messages glitches, etc), even by placing a single toggle in the Video Settings, but I'm really losing hope it actually will be. It will decrease Apple's rated battery life, and if some consumers are happily ignorant to the issue (I do video production), they have even less motivation to fix it. I have a feeling they really just don't care anymore. Heck, they still don't even have HDR in the iPad camera even though people were complaining since the iPad 3.

Last edited:

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
I have no doubt most iPad 4 users are ignorant of this issue, but I also suspect we'll hear a bit more complaining in a few days when Dark Knight Rises is officially released on the store.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yes, any dark video will show this behavior. Most noticeable in a dark room. I tried to get used to it over the past week, but its only gotten more on my nerves. It's morbidly hilarious to see bright white subtitles come up in a dark scene...they dim to a dark gray due to the backlight changes and then occasionally pop back to being white and off-white every few seconds... This is terrible. And I haven't even gotten to the color changes on walls and faces in dark scenes. Absolutely unwatchable on any dark movie source. Grain or no, live action or not. It's a "feature" enabled in iOS6 for A6 (and A5?) SoC's. That's right, after some reading on the SoC, I've depressingly concluded "it's a feature, not a bug." Welcome to post-Jobs Micr-apple logic.

The whole backlight keeps pumping in addition to the blatantly fluctuating contrast and tint. This is a much poorer implementation of battery saving than the Tegra 3 uses (pump up colors/saturation and turn down backlight according to some absurdly naive algorithm to save a few % battery). Like much of iOS6, it has turned out to be depressingly half-baked and untested. Without Steve, it seems QA has fallen so low I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The device (software-wise at least) has clearly fallen from its "premium" pedestal while keeping the premium price. Having paid $600 for a device to play crystal clear video only for it to absolutely ruin the video...I think I'm leaning toward sadness here.

Funny thing is it can all be fixed in a software update (same with Maps, messages glitches, etc), even by placing a single toggle in the Video Settings, but I'm really losing hope it actually will be. It will decrease Apple's rated battery life, and if some consumers are happily ignorant to the issue (I do video production), they have even less motivation to fix it. I have a feeling they really just don't care anymore. Heck, they still don't even have HDR in the iPad camera even though people were complaining since the iPad 3.

It really is happening on all iOS 6 iPads?

Maybe I will never update my iPad 3 from 5.1.1 even if it gets iOS 6 jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.