Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
And for all those singles in my iTunes library found *elsewhere* that do not have cover art....doh.

I mean like Beatport and CDR Rips, etc...

Ellmer

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2009
Brighton, UK
Cover flow is all I've used, nay, depended on since it was introduced to iTunes. So I will be among those willingly not updating.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
No more support for multiple displays

I like the new iTunes except for its lack of support for multiple displays (one more thing that changed).

The iTunes store and my iTunes library are two different things to me, and they are actually 5 different apps on iOS ... iTunes, Apps, Music, Videos, and iBooks (bookstore).

In previous versions of iTunes I would put my Library on one display and the store on another display. With iTunes 11 I now need to toggle back and forth in a single window. This is a big disadvantage for me.

I actually wish that Apple would break up the App on OSX the way it is broken up in iOS.

I also get tired of the search results searching across all media. When I'm searching for an App, I don't want to see results in music, podcasts, etc. I always know what media type I want to search ... let me search for that alone.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Anyone notice any influences from Jony Ive?

Anyone notice any influences from Jony Ive?

I hope Ive put in an iTunes 11 Easter Egg to hint at what's to come! :cool:

Marcus

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
For the most part, they made things better. iTunes remains great for music and now app management seems to have been cleaned up too.

But I am befuddled by Apple's complete inability to make video browsing even halfway as nice as music browsing. This has always been iTunes weakness and there's pretty much zero improvement here. Before I thought they didn't care, now I see they just don't understand.

Some samples:

1) In the 'Movies' tab in the iPhone view there is still no way to view this in any way other than 'large icons in alphabetical order.' Credit, I guess, to them for making the icons smaller, but that doesn't change the fact that this lack of options is really un-friendly.

2) In the iPhone's 'TV Shows' if you have to scroll down to find a show then you have to scroll way back UP to find the episodes. Scrolling down the shows doesn't move the window...it's moves the page. This kind of thing really makes me think they didn't ever try iTunes with more than a few files imported. Really?

3) Stuff is HUGE FOR NO REASON. I have a 24" monitor. When I open a show with 13 episodes I can't see them all on my screen. I have to scroll down! In what world is a 24" screen not large enough to show 13 items on a list?

4) You can make playlists for music or playlists for videos, but only the 'Music' section has a 'Playlists' tab. Movies doesn't. So you can find yourself having to go to 'Music' to watch a movie.

...and the point of this update was to make it easier to understand?

5) They added a 'Home Movies' section. Ok, great! Now I don't have to list them as TV shows with the year as the 'season' any more!

...except, oh...there's really no way to organize them except to have them in one super long list. I can't make folders or seasons or bins or (whatever you want to call it). Just like with so many other video things in iTunes: "Here, don't worry about organizing them...it's not like it's music or anything important like that!"

Guess I'll keep listing them as TV shows. So why add a new feature that is worse than the other feature that already existed? Probably because, once again, they only tested iTunes with 10 videos in it.

The bottom line: iTunes remains great for music, is still awful for people with more than 20 video files.

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
People are actually complaining about the removal of Coverflow? I though no one used that... I've never found a reason to use it.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The expanded view is wonderful in theory. But you can't change the columns, so you can't see the iTunes Match status of the songs and you can't get the checkbox column so no way to uncheck that annoying video that you don't want added to Up Next when you add the album.

No sorting in the iTunes store, so the > 80% of the time when you know what album you want, you can't find it becuase things are sorted by the useless popularity with no way to change to sort by name or release date.

Well, as always, there are some nice views for people with maybe 100 albums. But those who have much more and thus much more edge cases, will always go back to the list view.

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2007
Expanded view for Artist view?

I love expanded view and how it drops down from the albums, but I have too many albums for it to make sense to organize by album. Is there anyway to have artists view (with the artists listed on the left) and then have albums (with expanded view) on the right? or is it only text lists?

Thanks

FooMan2011

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Syncing your iphone for music is harder than ever you can't simply drag what you want on to your phone. You have to now do it through the sync menu. Suck!

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
also why NOT keep the Column Browser on Albums and Artist View

V848Pe5rtJg0Xs-kroqbsO-4vS-coT7P2HZb7KRzP30

just in Songs!

if you select in Songs an album by Column Browser, and change the view to Albums you lost your pick...

all that is so bad for organization... :(

Last edited by a moderator:

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
maybe I miss coverflow BUT seriously:

1. SONGS VIEW: where's the "artwork" ???
I have thousands of albums and now all looks list a lonnnnnnng list! with no separation!

2. ALBUMS VIEW: where's "groups albums by artist" ???
again I have thousands of albums and now all looks list a lonnnnnnng list! with no separation by artist

3. BLACK background option on Album, Artist, ang Genre Views ???

:confused::mad::eek:

1: No Artwork, No separation, thousand of albums mixed!

2. No "groups albums by artist", mixed albums!

thousands of albums? it says you have 29

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
thousands of albums? it says you have 29

lol, is just a test, I delete my entire library... for add again the albums ;) I have around 3000 albums on ALAC ripped from CDs, and many more web downloads.

now is a desmess when you choose the SONGS view, you see a BIG LIST like if all are just ONE album! we need see the cover art in THE LEFT! for have some separation between albums and choose easy, now I need see all so slowly for detect where start the album that I want hear etc...

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Will all the ghost tracks on my iphone finally go away? ?? Greyed out tracks that wont play or get deleted with this bloated piece of software.

You do realize you can just right click on those and delete them, right?
It's no great mystery unless I'm misunderstanding your situation.

nslyax

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2002
Holland, MI
All in all I am happy with it, but for some reason it didn't recognize any of my purchased songs and tried to get me to download them again (creating duplicates). Turning off "Show songs in the cloud" got rid of them, but still odd.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Thanks Apple! They finally updated that dog. Gawd, those older version were just horrible. Finally getting into the 21st century.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
I need to see the album artwork in the lower left corner.

YEAH!! 1+++ that is! I need see a separation between albums

and on album view, the option of "group albums by artist" like this:

itunes_artists_inline.jpg

common de the devs of apple use spotify or something like that??? :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.