Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Honestly it doesn't look bad to me. Reminds me when I had a 3G/S I used to like the back getting hair scratches almost immediately, thought it was a nice wear use. Mine was flawless out the box, unlike others getting scuffed right out the box.

Took these with my old iPhone 4.

Rolex-with-Broken-Glass.jpg

Yeah, I love my Rolex...:rolleyes:

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
Here's mine after a month and a half of use without a case from day one (arrived in immaculate condition). Daily use includes sometime going to construction site, daily walk with my dog (pulling it in/out often to snap photos), trip to the gym and constantly going in and out of my jean's front pocket. The only precaution I take is making sure my keys and coins go into different pockets.

8201386011_b2bb5fe7d8_c.jpg

8201386033_4fe1b20a5d_c.jpg

The only scuffing is near the headphone socket- I constantly hit it with the jack.

8201385979_77fcc09005_c.jpg

While I don't think there's anything wrong with scuffed phone, my opinion is that with minimal effort (provided your phone arrived with no anodizing defect) the iPhone 5 finish can stay scuff-free (or with minor scuffing, chipping) for quite a while.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Here's mine after a month and a half of use without a case from day one (arrived in immaculate condition). Daily use includes sometime going to construction site, daily walk with my dog (pulling it in/out often to snap photos), trip to the gym and constantly going in and out of my jean's front pocket. The only precaution I take is making sure my keys and coins go into different pockets.

The only scuffing is near the headphone socket- I constantly hit it with the jack.

While I don't think there's anything wrong with scuffed phone, my opinion is that with minimal effort (provided your phone arrived with no anodizing defect) the iPhone 5 finish can stay scuff-free (or with minor scuffing, chipping) for quite a while.
Phone looks pretty immaculate if what you say is true!

But to be honest, every black iPhone 5 that I've looked at and inspected all have scratches/chips and a weird "speckled" effect where silver dots are showing on the backs of black iP5's with cases (dirt getting stuck).

My boss has a black iPhone 5, caseless and it looks horrible.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA

Bah! It's so ugly and stock! Why don't you drop it a few times first? :D

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Mine looked like new still until about 10 minutes ago. It fell out jeans pocket on to tiled bathroom floor and that's resulted in a 'flattened' corner near headphone socket. Wouldn't mind but in order for the corner to flatten, it's pushed the aluminium up so there is now a small ridge at the back where the aluminium meets the glass. Annoying as it catches on my leather case now.

Oh well, least now it's got some battle damage I can stop worrying about it! :D

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I think it's very entertaining that people for the sake of loving a brand even appreciate the fact that a purchased device is very prone to scratching like this and are happy with the scratching, seriously...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I think it's very entertaining that people for the sake of loving a brand even appreciate the fact that a purchased device is very prone to scratching like this and are happy with the scratching, seriously...

well said

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I think it's defective coating as I have dropped my phone, scratched it with a needle on accident, and ran an aluminum bumper along it on accident when I was trying to put it on and haven't done any damage to it, seems like maybe they skipped a part in the coating process on accident in the beginning maybe

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Lmao you guys jinxed my iPhone. I had it in between my legs, got out my car forgetting it was there and it fell on the concrete. I have a Genius Bar appointment in a hour. I liked my scuffed phone!!!

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
The top glass and top corner are cracked. I'm at work I don't have my other iPhone with me to snap pics.

I think you are in the minority of people that loved a scuffed phone

but each to their own

I have mine cased up for that very reason

The Black IMO looks great but showing silver under bezel is just puts me off

and no worn jeans don't look good to me. I'd rather have jeans with no holes and jeans that are more solid

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
I think you are in the minority of people that loved a scuffed phone

but each to their own

I have mine cased up for that very reason

The Black IMO looks great but showing silver under bezel is just puts me off

and no worn jeans don't look good to me. I'd rather have jeans with no holes and jeans that are more solid

Well now I have a brand new all black, I purchased a black bumper from amazon I would use it when it arrives. Basically the only case ive ever like, well if you consider that a case.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Well now I have a brand new all black, I purchased a black bumper from amazon I would use it when it arrives. Basically the only case ive ever like, well if you consider that a case.

If you like the phone that way then keep it that way, you should do what you like not what other people think looks good.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
The bumper case eliminated any scuffing on the sides at all, and offers great drop protection (tested that out a few times accidentally). I don't bother to get any front or back plastic protectors.

For what its worth, a black sharpie marker almost perfectly blends in to that black band when dried and is a GREAT touch-up solution if it bothers you.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
The bumper case eliminated any scuffing on the sides at all, and offers great drop protection (tested that out a few times accidentally). I don't bother to get any front or back plastic protectors.

For what its worth, a black sharpie marker almost perfectly blends in to that black band when dried and is a GREAT touch-up solution if it bothers you.

What it you get some sharpie on the back of the phone ? Lol

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
There is a lot of denial in this thread. That iPhone looks bad and shows just how poorly designed it is for daily use. I have a scratched up car you can buy, it will save you the time of scratching it your self.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.