Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I love everything about the iTunes update! I honestly don't care if cover flow is gone because I found it to be an inefficient way to view my music on a laptop. On the iPhone, I really like cover flow. Mac? Nah it's easier to just use a listed view, which they've just improved a ton

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
And while I'm complaining, here's things that aren't huge, but I don't understand:

1) When I'm in the library I see my wifi-attached-iPhone in the upper right with an eject button. When I switch to the store, it goes away. Why?

2) The placement of the cloud next to the media pull-down menu makes it look like I'm only browsing iCloud since it's right there like it's connected to that menu...as if you should be looking for a non-iCloud menu in there. Why not put that cloud somewhere where it's not right next to a menu like that?

3) People never really understood the iPhone backup thing (that you can backup to your computer and iCloud, but that only one can be automatic). Apple clearly knew this because they tried to make it clearer. The new method is almost better, but doesn't quite get there. Why not put a line between the left and right to make you understand that 'Auto' and 'Manual' are 2 independent settings, and not merely different check-boxes for one setting?

None of these are huge problems, but I keep running in to things that make me think "this was a huge re-write?"

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I listen to the Rooster Teeth podcast and they use the enhanced m4a format that lets you embed links into the file but now theres no place for the link to show up. Stupid thing to get rid of really.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I like the artist view....I have 21,000 songs, so the ability to quickly scroll through just the artists is great and snappy. Only "bug" so far is that when I go to an artist, some of the album art does not show...it does in the mini player, but not for the album (to the left of the track list).

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
I found coverflow useless. I am liking the new way of managing the music. It seems simplified and browsing music is much better now. I have always done it by album.

My only gripe is the color choices on some albums as it can be annoying.

itunes11.jpg

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Has the library summary @ the bottom gone completley like song count, size in GB etc? Anyway to get it back?:confused:

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
I found coverflow useless. I am liking the new way of managing the music. It seems simplified and browsing music is much better now. I have always done it by album.

you can remove that! acctually I remove it, I hate it... so fancy thing... looks better same design for all albums...

VjyNGq47FVv41qQT5kt-JO-4vS-coT7P2HZb7KRzP30

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Well, as always, there are some nice views for people with maybe 100 albums. But those who have much more and thus much more edge cases, will always go back to the list view.

Except we won't because the list view now is just a huge table of text, with no album artwork to separate the albums or otherwise designate groups of songs.

Trust me I tried to use the current list view but ended up uninstalling and going back to itunes 10.7.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Why people are still using iTunes? I just sync my iPhone and buy apps through iTunes, but for everything else SongBird is the way to go.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The new interface is nice, but it seems weird that the music control buttons are just play/pause/skip icons without any button behind them. It just looks so incomplete and appears to be floating randomly on the top-left.

Also, what happened to the frequency loudness bars??? You used to be able to press a button in the middle top panel to show the bars. It looked cool and was sometimes useful. Why get rid of an option?

But THE COLORED ICONS ARE BACK! YES!

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I just updated and haven't played with it much. I don't personally mind that cover flow is gone. I didn't use it often.

That said, I wonder how many of the folks who have expressed concern over the missing features or changed features, have watched the tutorial videos upon first launch or griping b/c they didn't even though those features might be there.

Just a legitimate question. I have a buddy who pulls that stunt all the time yet never RTFM or checks out the videos lol

I'm sure I'll come across something myself soon enough.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Why people are still using iTunes? I just sync my iPhone and buy apps through iTunes, but for everything else SongBird is the way to go.

Why get a knockoff of iTunes when you can get the actual thing? Using two programs, one for syncing the iPod, just seems annoying.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
Downloaded. Seems pretty snappy. First thing I noticed was the return of color icons (yay!) and reverting back to a white background (meh).

I am not necessarily a fan of the clouds next to the icons as I don't use iCloud and this makes it appear as though I'm only browsing icloud. This brings me to my first question. You can 'hide music in the cloud' in your main music library, but under my smart playlist, it still shows and I have no way to delete it. The songs that are in the cloud (for me at least) are crap I deleted and have zero interest in having in my library (that's why I deleted them in the first place!). How can I remove icloud music for good in smart playlists?

Next.... I think the new expanded view is pretty nice looking. Downside is, I have nearly 5,000 albums! Scrolling to find an artist is ridiculously time consuming. Searching by an artist/song/keyword no longer removes items that don't contain the word, it just brings a dropdown with various choices to choose from. This is pretty stupid and a PITA. I prefer to keep my main music sorted by artist. Of course, with thousands of artists, now I also have to scroll for quite some time as the album info takes up most of the space. Second question is, how can you view artists like you can albums?

Depending on the answers to the above, while I like the overall look, I may have to downgrade. Damn updates.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, but they can also be nice:
Screen%20shot%202012-11-29%20at%205.02.34%20PM.png

Don't worry. Even though I have V.G. Varun music, I never listen to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.