Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Like others have said, as long as you have signature confirmation, insurance, and shipped to the confirmed PayPal address you should be fine.

I used to sell tons of iPhones and other smartphones on eBay a couple years back so much that it had become my primary source of income (top rated seller with over 3000 feedback) but got hit with a couple of transactions with chargeback claims amounting to over $4000 all at once. I eventually got my money bak because I followed all if paypals steps, but having that kind if money held up for weeks made me pretty much stop using eBay. Amazon seems a lot more safe or selling phones.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I never sent to a confirmed address they asked for a work one.

I do have proof of deliver though. Is there anything atall I can do?

Can I get the network to block the phone? I only have the serial number at the moment though never took note of the IMEI.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yep you automatically lose if you didn't ship to their confirmed address. NEVER ship to any address other than the Paypal confirmed address. If buyers ask me to ship to a different address then I always tell them to go into paypal and get the new address confirmed before I ship to it. Live and learn. You lost this one.

yupyupyup

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Yep you automatically lose if you didn't ship to their confirmed address. NEVER ship to any address other than the Paypal confirmed address. If buyers ask me to ship to a different address then I always tell them to go into paypal and get the new address confirmed before I ship to it. Live and learn. You lost this one.

You are screwed. Shipping to a confirmed address is absolutely required to fall under PayPal seller protection.

That's what I thought, and that's what a paypal representative said to me as well. Turns out that isn't the case according to a paypal supervisor who called me today. :)(He also reimbursed me the $1249.99 from and UN-authorized purchase "charge-back" that I received).:) I also read the "sellers protection" page on paypal's site, and it doesn't make any mention of that either. Confirmed or unconfirmed - makes no difference as long as you didn't ship out of country. ***Don't ship out of country. Ever.***

Be sure to use tracking, and upload the tracking number to ebay, AND paypal if that's even possible. You shouldn't have to, but a paypal phone representative told me I should have uploaded my tracking number to them as well. I don't think that's accurate information because paypal has the ability to see tracking information that was uploaded to ebay, but still they sent me an email asking for a tracking number so they could offer proof to the credit card company in order to make a dispute. Such bull**it.

Also keep-up with the emails from paypal to see if a charge-back was filed against you - I didn't, and it caused me a larger headache. On the phone, paypal told me that sellers have to respond within 10 days of notice by email with a tracking number, and because i didn't, they sided with the buyers credit card company. Well, the sellers protection rules simply says, "respond in a timely manner". Sorry paypal, but rules are rules -they're your rules to boot - and "timely manner" does not specify a specific time period such as the "10 days" I was told. Hell, I didn't get the charge-back notice they claimed to have sent me. I only received a notice saying I now owe paypal $1249.99 because they didn't hear from me in time. By the way, shouldn't paypal mail me a certified letter so they have proof the seller acknowledge the charge-back? OF COURSE! I believe the supervisor said, "we used to do that, but now we do it by email". My cell phone was breaking up, so I didn't really hear all his words. I mean god forbid you're away from you email because you went on a 10 day cruise ship...

As it turns out, all the paypal phone representative don't know their butts from their elbow - poorly trained, and unprofessional in some cases. As i spoke from one representative to another, I kept being asked, "who said that? Because it's misinformation"...

Anyway, simply read and follow the rules on paypal's site, and ask to speak to a supervisor if a manager is mentally challenged. Or just keep calling back and repeat yourself and, hopefully, you wont catch a retard. I called about 7 times.

Here are the rule:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?articleID=94043&topicID=11500005&m=TKB

******* Paypal.
And Ebay.

chenchenhh

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Chargeback

This **** just happens to me today!!!!OMG!!!
I sold a IPad Mini on ebay almost a month ago. It sees like a perfect transaction.... but i just got a email from paypal told me that the buyer issued a chargeback..!!!I was searching for information about chargeback online, and I found here!!

I shipped the ipad to a CONFRIMED ADDRESS, I also got a signature confirmation on the package...

I will call PayPal tmr morning!! God bless...hope everything is fine...
I opened my ebay account only for 1 month,, and this is already the second time of fraud transaction. Last time, the buyer even made a fraud paypal email to me that states he has made the payment and made me ship the item. One week later, he also sent me an email from "FBI",,, Ridiculous

I will post my results here!! hope it will help more people!!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I also read the "sellers protection" page on paypal's site, and it doesn't make any mention of that either. Confirmed or unconfirmed - makes no difference as long as you didn't ship out of country.
Here are the rule:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?articleID=94043&topicID=11500005&m=TKB

Of course whether or not the address is officially "confirmed" is irrelevant. What's important is you ship to the shipping address listed on the paypal transaction details page and that's confirmed as far as falling under seller protection is concerned. Paypal is certainly not going to screw you out of this protection based on whether or not it's officially confirmed.

The OP's mistake was sending it to an unconfirmed address not listed on the transaction details page.

Gangnam Style

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
This **** just happens to me today!!!!OMG!!!
I sold a IPad Mini on ebay almost a month ago. It sees like a perfect transaction.... but i just got a email from paypal told me that the buyer issued a chargeback..!!!I was searching for information about chargeback online, and I found here!!

I shipped the ipad to a CONFRIMED ADDRESS, I also got a signature confirmation on the package...

I will call PayPal tmr morning!! God bless...hope everything is fine...
I opened my ebay account only for 1 month,, and this is already the second time of fraud transaction. Last time, the buyer even made a fraud paypal email to me that states he has made the payment and made me ship the item. One week later, he also sent me an email from "FBI",,, Ridiculous

I will post my results here!! hope it will help more people!!

Sorry to hear about these bad experiences.
I hope you can get them sorted out.

I have a question, how was the buyers eBay rating?
Were they relative new accounts?
I've been lucky not to have any issues but then I've sold mostly to buyers with many feedbacks and wonder if that might be a factor.

chenchenhh

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Sorry to hear about these bad experiences.
I hope you can get them sorted out.

I have a question, how was the buyers eBay rating?
Were they relative new accounts?
I've been lucky not to have any issues but then I've sold mostly to buyers with many feedbacks and wonder if that might be a factor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just called paypal. They told me that as I shipped it to a confirmed address, I am under seller protection. She puts a note on my account, and is going to do a further investigation.

I looked up the buyer's ebay account. He has 7 positive feedback. But it shows up he is no longer a registered ebay user right now.
The thing here is, I also added a electronic option signature confirmation, I looked up on USPS tracking, it shows there is someone signed the package, but is not the one I am shipping to, but is in the correct address, same suite number. I dont know if this is my obligation or responsibility. I think I have done everything I could.

Now I just have to wait the results from Paypal. Really dont want anyone is getting hurt, and I swear to god I did nothing bad or wrong,,,why this is happening to me...:mad::mad::mad:

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Unfortunately it happens far to often. I sell a decent amount on eBay also. I recently sold my iPhone 5 on eBay for 855. The buyer wanted me to ship to Hawaii but lived in Japan. I couldn't get the address right to ship because the address he put was crammed into one line and according eBay and PayPal if I modify it I'm not covered. I felt nervous selling it as the buyer only had 9 feedback so I refunded the buyer canceled the transaction and just kept the phone for myself.

Moral I guess is if you ever feel nervous over selling something to someone just keep it. Sorry your getting worked over by PayPal. It should be your problem since you did everything your supposed to. Best of luck.

Selling on eBay can be great but with their high fees and Paypal fees and this crazy buyer protection and almost no seller protection it's getting less worth it to sell anything on there.

steph280

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Orange County, CA
I also had this happen to me a few years back when I sold a Samsung phone on ebay. Back then Paypal didn't have any official seller protection in place, so they basically sided with credit card company and threaten to send collection agency after me.

Fortunately the @ssh0le who did this to me respond to my email, as I was threatening him with letters from my lawyer friend. And he would send me a check for half the amount, follow by more of my threatening letters, then send me another check for some, and repeat until I got tired of writing profanity. I didn't recover all of my money, but got enough back to justify my cost.

This dude had perfect feedback on ebay as well. But he was sneaky enough to wait until I gave him a positive feedback before he filed the chargeback. I asked ebay if I can revert my feedback but they couldn't.

I have since sold dozens of phones and some high price camera equipment on ebay without much issues. With Paypal's clearly defined seller protection I feel much safer. But at the same time both ebay/Paypal jacked up the fees to cover this service.

If only there's a good alternative...

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Sorry, but Money Orders and/or Bank (Cashier's) Checks are easily, and often, counterfeited. And what makes it even worse is that while your bank can and will take either as a deposit to your checking or savings account, and will generally make $100 of the deposit available to you immediately and the remainder of the deposit available anywhere from 3 to 14 business days (depending upon a variety of factors such as your total financial relationship with the bank, the total amount of the document, etc.), it can sometimes take 2 to 3 additional WEEKS for the bank to confirm that the Money Order or Cashier's Check is stolen/forged/counterfeited. And if and when they do, the bank will charge your account for the entire amount PLUS whatever their normal charge is for "NSF" (bounced) checks. Money Order and Cashier's Checks from strangers is a VERY risky endeavor indeed. The ONLY way to assure that a Cashier's Check is legitimate is to take the check with the person who gives it to you to the bank it was drawn upon and cash it there (you'll generally be charged a nominal fee for cashing one of their checks if you don't have an account at their bank).

When I was a manager of a retail store I had an employee take a cashiers check from out of the state for payment and even listened to the guys sob story and gave him cash back plus his purchase. Well I took it to the bank the very next morning and I already knew the outcome, but the bank confirmed the check was counterfit. So cashiers checks are not safe at all! And that girls paycheck was an Andrew Jackson lighter for being an idiot!

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
I hardly use ebay now. In the UK i use gumtree which is like craigslist.

No fees and cash there and then.

I also use Facebook, there are lots of local for sale pages for our city, so most items get sold same day for cash again.

So, check facebook for a local for sale page upload your pictures of the items and prices. Again, no fees and easy transactions.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
I just sold my old iphone on ebay. I was immediately paranoid when I saw that the buyer had zero feedback so I googled him, his address, etc. The account has been open for a few years, so that seems good I guess. And he paid right away. Anyway I'm trying to be extra careful about the whole process.....in preparing to ship, both USPS and Fedex list the address as incorrect and they modify it slightly. The buyer gave me a paypal confirmed address on "county road 39" but Fedex says "Address was modified to achieve a match. Please confirm the address with the recipient prior to shipping" = they list address as "highway 39." I googled both addresses and they 2 come up as different places, but highway 39 appears to be the legitimate address - there are real estate records for it in the buyers name, etc. The original address they gave me comes up as a field.

So my question is, what do I do? Obviously I will contact the seller but lets say they tell me to go ahead and ship to the modified address......will I still be covered by buyer protection? Should I call the post office in that town? My Mom lives in a very small town and she has trouble with this sort of thing sometimes (her address often comes up as not approved by the post office), so I understand that this could be part of the issue. But if I understand correctly I have to ship to the paypal address to be covered, right?

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
I just sold my old iphone on ebay. I was immediately paranoid when I saw that the buyer had zero feedback so I googled him, his address, etc. The account has been open for a few years, so that seems good I guess. And he paid right away. Anyway I'm trying to be extra careful about the whole process.....in preparing to ship, both USPS and Fedex list the address as incorrect and they modify it slightly. The buyer gave me a paypal confirmed address on "county road 39" but Fedex says "Address was modified to achieve a match. Please confirm the address with the recipient prior to shipping" = they list address as "highway 39." I googled both addresses and they 2 come up as different places, but highway 39 appears to be the legitimate address - there are real estate records for it in the buyers name, etc. The original address they gave me comes up as a field.

So my question is, what do I do? Obviously I will contact the seller but lets say they tell me to go ahead and ship to the modified address......will I still be covered by buyer protection? Should I call the post office in that town? My Mom lives in a very small town and she has trouble with this sort of thing sometimes (her address often comes up as not approved by the post office), so I understand that this could be part of the issue. But if I understand correctly I have to ship to the paypal address to be covered, right?

PayPal does not look at the street address - just the zip code. Delivery/tracking confirmation will only show the city and zip code for delivery. If signature confirmation is added, then signature and name of the person signing.

I have shipped hundreds of thousands of items on ebay, locally and internationally. I have faced several thousand chargebacks.. too many to count.. most from scammers.. and some from legitimate victims.

If you follow paypal's policy, which is :

1. Delivery confirmation for transactions less than $250
2. Signature confirmation for transactions above $250

then you are covered in the event of a chargeback.

International shipments is where it gets tricky.. since everyone mostly uses USPS. USPS sucks .. period. You're lucky if you get a delivery confirmation for international deliveries (since it's the destination country's postal service that takes over)

Signed for packages to international customers? Forget it. I always ship fedex, which comes with signature confirmation. I had a chargeback from someone in kazakhstan.. paypal closed it in my favor since I shipped it via fedex and it had signature confirmation.

People love to yell out "paypal sucks, or so and so merchant sucks" Follow the rules and guidelines, and you'll be fine. It's not just paypal btw.. any merchant company/credit card processor will make you go through the same process.

smeeton

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
The poster above me music_producer is right, and has given some very good advice.

I sold an iPad to Russia, and shipped it to the PayPal address from this eBay transaction. Of course, I paid for the shipping option which would give me as much reliability as possible, so I shipped it via FedEx with some sort of delivery or signature confirmation. I have a similar story to the rest of you, which is the buyer left me positive feedback within one week of the transaction, but then did a chargeback almost exactly 31 days after the initial transaction saying it was an unauthorized charge.

I was panicking and found this forum, which is probably what most of us have done after we have been scammed. I submitted my shipping tracking information to PayPal for evidence, and after reading everything in this forum, I decided to call PayPal customer service and talk to someone about this matter.

Luckily, because I shipped it to the PayPal address on file for this transaction, I happened to be protected under PayPal's seller protection policy. So Paypal gave me all my money back right away. I did not have to wait 3-6 months as some of the other people on this forum have mentioned. I literally got my money back while I was on the phone with the PayPal representative who took care of this matter for me.

So, just follow the advice Music_Producer has written, for all your future shipments. If you just found out that you are the victim of a chargeback scam and have not done anything yet, best thing to do is to call PayPal customer service right away. There's no point going through PayPal's online resolution center, submitting your evidence, and waiting for someone to get back to you as they are probably backlogged with thousands of cases to work on, but if you call them, yours will get dealt with right away by the person on the phone with you.

I hope some of this information will be able to help alleviate that fear that all of us feel after we get that email letting us know that we have a chargeback against our Paypal account.

Shearwater

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Leeds , West Yorkshire
There's no point going through PayPal's online resolution center, submitting your evidence, and waiting for someone to get back to you as they are probably backlogged with thousands of cases to work on, but if you call them, yours will get dealt with right away by the person on the phone with you.

Not quite so. I have used the Resolution Centre on a number of occasions and they have always resolved the issues within the time stated.
To say there is no point in using this process is a little unfair

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Not quite so. I have used the Resolution Centre on a number of occasions and they have always resolved the issues within the time stated.
To say there is no point in using this process is a little unfair

I've also had success with the online resolution centre. albeit they were smaller items worth no worth than $20. For an item worth hundreds of dollars it's better to speak to a real person and have everything done promptly ASAP.

cmfd626

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
Chargeback just happened to me last night

I stumbled upon this thread as most others have because the same thing happened to me on a $500 sale I made on eBay. I received the email about the chargeback and had no clue what it was, but quickly realized that **** WAS REAL when I looked at my Paypal account and it was negative.

I shipped to the Confirmed address with Signature Confirmation using Priority Mail with USPS so it also comes with a tracking number. I went to the resolution center and provided the tracking number and also told them in the comments section that it also had signature confirmation. The next day, I also called just to see if there was anymore that could be done. I spoke to a representative at Paypal and he was VERY HELPFUL! He released it that morning with no questions asked.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS: Just make sure you go to the resolution center AS SOON AS YOU GET THE EMAIL and CALL THEM THE NEXT DAY and they will refund the money that same day!

HOPE THIS HELPS ANY AND EVERY!

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
Wow ... Just read every post and I'n scare of ever selling on ebay now !

That's why I only sell through Craigslist . Always meet inside my local Starbucks and have a decent transaction.

Last edited:

Allen611

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
Long time reader here, and had to register just to add this comment.

I have scammed others in the distant past, using chargeback scams. I am now reformed.

Yes, it's terrible. There is not much you can do. They won't recover the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.