Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ComSense

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Bodymore, Murderland, USA
Where did you get the unlocked iPhone 5 from? Been waiting for over two months for it. Did you get it shipped from Canada?

You can buy it at the Apple Store, if you tell them you want to buy it at full retail, no contract. For T-Mobile, make sure you request the AT&T (ugh) model, so that you get the right LTE bands for the LTE rollout next year. (You can probably even just flat-out say you want to use it on T-Mobile. I get the sense that they don't really care.)

Provided you pay the full retail ($649/$749/$849), their system will automatically register the phone with Apple's IMEI database, and when you get home and connect it to the iTunes, the first thing you'll see is those beautiful words: "Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked."

I've done it several times now. Worked beautifully every time.

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
Where did you get the unlocked iPhone 5 from? Been waiting for over two months for it. Did you get it shipped from Canada?

I was in Canada on iPhone 5 launch day and was able to get one :D.

-ITG

----------

Of course, but its only 250 megabytes of 4g speed

That's not true. There are TWO different Monthly4G $30 plans with different features. See http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

I've been on the $30 100 minute/unlimited text/5 GB since Jan with my iPhone 3GS, and also on my unlocked iPhone 5 since its launch weekend. I love it!

-ITG

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Yes. It's prepaid and it comes w/ 1500 talk & text, and 30MB of web.

We are all talking about the other $30 prepaid plan from T-Mobile:

$30 for 100 min plus unlimited text and data (first 5Gb on fast 4G)

You need to open a new prepaid account to see this option, and once you did that, you can ask to switch this new account to use your old number if you really want to keep the old one.

I purchased a AT&T Galaxy Note, rooted and installed T-Mobile radio, all for this plan :)

On iPhone? I am not sure if my area has 3G cover yet...... If it does, I may switch back to a iPhone :D

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
So many people out there are clueless on how much money they are wasting on their cell phone plans.

The other thing is - so many people don't seem to think through how the internet practically functions. If you're on EDGE, then certainly the theoretical max speed between your phone and the tower is the limiting factor in terms of your communication with the rest of the internet. But with LTE (and even 3G, at times), you're still not going to be pulling stuff down faster than the server at the other end is willing to provide it or that the intervening network is willing/able to support. SpeedTest results aside - your connection to most sites/servers is almost certainly going to be throttled, practically speaking, at speeds far lower than your theoretical maximum.

I'm not saying faster network connectionss are irrelevant; just that, most of the time, you're not getting as big a boost from them as you think.

phape

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
Not yet

There's too few markets that can receive greater than 2G data speeds on the iPhone. Isn't still around 10? I doubt they've modified the iPhone to use T-Mobile's frequencies.

The real reason I hope this isn't true is that I ordered my daughter a Nexus 4that may not even get delivered in time for Christmas. It won't look like such a great gift if you can just walk into a T-Mobile store and buy an iphone. Of course what she really wants is an iphone. Even the homelesss kids have one you know.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Anyone who continues to use T-Mobile in this day and age ASTOUNDS me. No LTE? That's just pathetic.

I don't know. I'm sure they can still get things done with 25mbps down on HSPA+42. In reality it accomplishes pretty much any task at just about the same speed that LTE does unless you really think there are phone apps that require 50mbps to function. Pretty much the only task I can think of where that extra 25mbps would make a difference is when tethering to download torrents. But good luck with the capped data from AT&T/Verizon with that.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I feel sad for all the suckers that think T-Mobile's cell towers can't make the iPhone 5 go 21 megabits per second and have 500 ms ping, when they are connected using fiber connections (the cell towers).

ComSense

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Bodymore, Murderland, USA
So-called "analysts."

One other thing to keep in mind: The source is a stupid Wall Street "analyst." Any time you see that word, run for the hills. These idiots know NOTHING; they basically sit around speculating or regurgitating rumors after every rumor site has reported them. These are the same people that "discovered" Apple circa 2004 or so and patted themselves on the back for their alleged foresight.

(If you can't tell, I really, really, REALLY hate bandwagon jumpers who not only didn't know about you last year, but actively talked trash about you. Ask any of these "analysts" about AAPL back in 1999 and compare their reaction to what they'll say now. Useless jackasses.)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
You can buy it at the Apple Store, if you tell them you want to buy it at full retail, no contract. For T-Mobile, make sure you request the AT&T (ugh) model, so that you get the right LTE bands for the LTE rollout next year. (You can probably even just flat-out say you want to use it on T-Mobile. I get the sense that they don't really care.)

Provided you pay the full retail ($649/$749/$849), their system will automatically register the phone with Apple's IMEI database, and when you get home and connect it to the iTunes, the first thing you'll see is those beautiful words: "Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked."

I've done it several times now. Worked beautifully every time.

Thank you! I tried a couple of times but both times the employee told me that i have to pick a carrier :S. Anyway, my prayers have been answered!

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Coverage is the funny thing, of which people will defend vigorously. That said, I live in California, the most populous state, and suffer endlessly with ATT's false advertising. Their network is always clogged up, even when the phone indicates LTE is available. They should be fined and stripped of their license. I have had a chance to compare all 4 carriers of whom my friends are customers, Verizon comes out on top in terms of coverage, signal strength, and LTE speed. Sprint rides on the same CDMA technologies but they have no $ to improve the network, TMobile just kept shooting themselves in the foot with wrong decisions on everything. Electric companies had a chance to deploy WiMax over their power lines yet I don't know why they don't this potential of undercutting all competition. This would mean much cheaper wireless data access for all.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
T-mobile activated 200,000 iPhones in the last 60 days. It's a win win for tmobile and its customers.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Network suggests not

I feel like T-Mobile would not have been refarming PCS spectrum so aggressively if they were getting the iPhone for real, as they they wouldn't have to worry about it, as people could just buy T-Mobile iPhones that would have AWS HSPA+ enabled.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
This is good news, and I don't even think the LTE is a big issue if the iPhone does proper HSPA+, because T-Mobile's HSPA+ can be pretty darn fast. Case in point:

303206319.png

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I feel like T-Mobile would not have been refarming PCS spectrum so aggressively if they were getting the iPhone for real, as they they wouldn't have to worry about it, as people could just buy T-Mobile iPhones that would have AWS HSPA+ enabled.

Maybe Apple won't make a T-Mobile version. Apple may have told T-Mobile: refarm or you don't get iPhone.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe Apple won't make a T-Mobile version. Apple may have told T-Mobile: refarm or you don't get iPhone.

Another thing is that keep in mind they were locked out of plenty of other good phones too thanks to AWS, such as the Lumia 900, 800, European Galaxy S II, etc..

The only good phone they have right now would be the One S, 8X, and GS3

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I wish that all you people bragging about your $30 plan would just ****. You know they can end that at any time. You're not locked into it.

It's going to end eventually and you folks are just speeding it up. The more people that sign up and use a lot of data will force T-Mobile to make everyone choose a more costly plan.

So just shut up and enjoy your $30 plan and don't feel the need to brag about it on the internet. You are only hurting yourself in the long term.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I wish that all you people bragging about your $30 plan would just ****. You know they can end that at any time. You're not locked into it.

It's going to end eventually and you folks are just speeding it up. The more people that sign up and use a lot of data will force T-Mobile to make everyone choose a more costly plan.

So just shut up and enjoy your $30 plan and don't feel the need to brag about it on the internet. You are only hurting yourself in the long term.

It hasn't ended with all the Android phones on it. Unlike AT&T and Verizon, T-Mobiles model has always been on these types of plans..same with Virgin. They will survive AND prosper. It will be AT&T and Verizon that will have to drop plan rates...which is even better for consumers.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
It hasn't ended with all the Android phones on it. Unlike AT&T and Verizon, T-Mobiles model has always been on these types of plans..same with Virgin. They will survive AND prosper. It will be AT&T and Verizon that will have to drop plan rates...which is even better for consumers.

Do you think they'll let everyone stay on the $30 plan for as long as they want?

iPhone users are data hogs unlike any other. The more iPhones that come aboard on the $30 plan, the likelihood increases that T-Mobile will end the deal and make everyone choose a different plan.

I signed up for it figuring that it would go away at some point. Then I would probably move to Straight Talk unless T-Mobile offers something similar.

T3hUnkn0wn

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Honestly...

Who the hell cares if you get this many Mbps or that many...

Amazing you pay $100+ per line for Verizon to have what T-mobile has for wayyy cheaper. Cool your crazy expensive plan advertises THIS MANY Mbps.

I can't go anywhere with out at least 2 OPEN wifi connections available. I always prefer wifi soo much faster.

And all this talk about LOL GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR 300-400ms PINGS LOLOLOL

Really? A full second would even be acceptable. People are bitching about Milliseconds now? MILLISECONDS!??! You mean that thing LESS THAN A SECOND? Let's stop nerdgasming over useless specs and technicalities and look at the bigger picture.. Apple is going to make more money. T-Mobile customers would be happy and... everyone wins.

Slow and steady wins the race...(please don't prove me wrong T-Mobile)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.