Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ash211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
I'm trying to convert an MKV to an MP4 (so I can watch it on Apple TV 3) and Handbrake is telling me it will take 8 hours?!? I'm kinda new to this but that sounds a little long? What am I doing wrong?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm trying to convert an MKV to an MP4 (so I can watch it on Apple TV 3) and Handbrake is telling me it will take 8 hours?!? I'm kinda new to this but that sounds a little long? What am I doing wrong?

It seems that you are transcoding it. It takes time because it's HD material, or that you got a slow computer. Download / buy the MP4 next time.

ash211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
I do have a slow computer. I'm converting from a Blu Ray just not sure why a DVD takes half an hour on Handbrake but a blu ray takes half an hour to convert to MKV then 8 hours to convert to mp4???

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I do have a slow computer. I'm converting from a Blu Ray just not sure why a DVD takes half an hour on Handbrake but a blu ray takes half an hour to convert to MKV then 8 hours to convert to mp4???
Huh? a blu ray transcoded to the appletv 3 preset with HandBrake could easily take 8 hrs, depending on your computer and the source material. The question is your computer and the source.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
If you have an older processor that is definitely a reason it's taking so long. It took me about 45 minutes to convert an AVI to an MP4 on a Core 2 Duo processor. It takes about 3.5 minutes on my new rMBP's i7.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I use MKV2MP4 app off the App Store. I then use Identify to add the Metadata afterwards.

I sometimes load 10-15 MKV'S up at once, pick the ATV preset and let it go, it is pretty quick. 5-10mins per file.
Some of the reviews say they can't get it to work but I've been using it since April and it was easy to use and hasn't let me down yet, just used it today.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
is there something for Window's that is easy and fast? i used to use iFlicks for the mac but my wife just bought me a gaming pc and now i need something for the pc/windows

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009

Using Handbrake will easily take that amount of time for a 1080p Blu Ray. Handbrake is literally rewriting every bit of data and transcoding each frame. If you dont care about file size, and especially if you want the highest quality, use a program like Subler (for macs) or XMedia (Windows) to REMUX the file.

Remuxing essentially takes the video (which is already h.264) and copies it into a mp4 container, then re-encodes the audio to something the ATV can support. This takes more like 10-15 minutes instead of many hours.

casimonego

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
From videohelp forum, there is a solution to convert MKV to MP4 with fast conversion speed and subtitle and without quality loss:

Today, converting MKV to MP4 becomes simpler and simpler, since there are many available MKV to MP4 Converters online. But most of them only can either convert MKV to MP4 with low output quality or doesn't support converting MKV to MP4 with subtitles. Even the converted MP4 files are incompatible with the desire devices like iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc.

There are so many converters available online but before going to download or purchase, find out the best MKV to MP4 converter which can easily batch convert MKV to MP4 without quality loss and with fast conversion speed and subtitles.

drogba

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2014
From videohelp forum, there is a solution to convert MKV to MP4 with fast conversion speed and subtitle and without quality loss:

Today, converting MKV to MP4 becomes simpler and simpler, since there are many available MKV to MP4 Converters online. But most of them only can either convert MKV to MP4 with low output quality or doesn't support converting MKV to MP4 with subtitles. Even the converted MP4 files are incompatible with the desire devices like iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc.

There are so many converters available online but before going to download or purchase, find out the best MKV to MP4 converter which can easily batch convert MKV to MP4 without quality loss and with fast conversion speed and subtitles.

Excellent. I have some mkv files I've been looking to convert into mov without much quality loss so I can play around with them in FCP. Couldn't find anything that was respectable. Super excited now, thanks a boatload.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
RoadMovie FTW

Check out Road Movie - I know there are a lot of converters out there, but I've been using this one for several years, and it is great.

The developer updates it regularly and supports it well. http://www.bitfield.se

It does an excellent job of passthrough remuxing MKV to MP4 (this is the container switching), automatically fetches complete iTunes friendly metadata, add or even help you source subtitles and also has a very efficient conversion tool with Apple compatible presets if you still want to go the transcoding route.

Just my two cents...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.