Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
All I can think of is this: I'd HATE to be the guy at a Microsoft store having to sell people a four hour battery life product with a straight face. I just couldn't do it. Glad I don't work at a Microsoft store. :p

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
There is a lot to like about Windows 8:
- Faster boot times
- Snappier overall performance
- Uses less resources
- Ability to Mount ISO
- Minimalist UI
- Reset Option to Clean OS (without formatting)
- $39.99 Upgrade from XP, Vista or 7

I'd say It's the best Windows yet, but I think the biggest problem people have is the Modern UI (formerly known as Metro)..

If it weren't for Microsoft mixing a Mobile UI with Windows desktop, I think at least the OS would have sold better, and the complaints would be almost non-existent..

pposthoorn

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
The Netherlands
Install a torrent client on your iPad, I dare you. Or any other Mac program.

You can't do it, I'll tell you why because everyone is confused :That's a big iPod touch !

This is a full OS WITH ...( W I T H ) touch
Why would you want a torrent client on your tablet?
Can't think of anything a torrent client does and there isn't a perfectly good App available for.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Comparing it to the iPad makes it look bad as tablet; at a thousand bucks you compare it to a MacBook Air. And it looks dreadful.

Well done, Ballmer.

Except it will have Haswell (so would the air), be lighter, and still cheaper for the memory levels. Plus, you don't have to buy windows to run useful stuff.

This isn't in the same category as an ipad. Its a glorified ultrabook, and I think the MacBook Air comparison is the better one. And it might be fine. I'm pessimistic that it'll be good. But we'll see, won't we.

SinatraLennon

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
It costs too much, the battery dies too soon and it doesn't come with the 'innovative' touchkeypadtyping cover thingy. The Surface Pro will fail as has the RT. I could see this coming as soon as it was announced and no one was allowed to use it or type on it. It's going to be another giant failure for Microsoft and its a fool that doesn't foresee this. Heck, I'll bet even Paul Thurrott would agree. Zune's Big Brother.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
There is a lot to like about Windows 8:
- Faster boot times
- Snappier overall performance
- Uses less resources
- Ability to Mount ISO
- Minimalist UI
- Reset Option to Clean OS (without formatting)
- $39.99 Upgrade from XP, Vista or 7

I'd say It's the best Windows yet, but I think the biggest problem people have is the Modern UI (formerly known as Metro)..

If it weren't for Microsoft mixing a Mobile UI with Windows desktop, I think at least the OS would have sold better, and the complaints would be almost non-existent..

Yup, but they had to do it now. Windows 9 will be OS that spans across the phones, tablets and desktops. All apps will require a scaled version for each and a sync over the net feature.

This could be a total disaster for MS and it wouldn't matter. It is important for the next OS

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Why would you want a torrent client on your tablet?
Can't think of anything a torrent client does and there isn't a perfectly good App available for.

Either you are joking or you have little to no understanding of what a torrent client is and what it does.

If I am wrong, go ahead and tell me what App does what U-Torrent does, go ahead , I'm waiting.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Who wants full blown Windows on that small of a screen? The way Microsoft markets this you never see it without the keyboard/kickstand or in portrait mode. What makes this better than a nice Lenovo or Asus Ultrabook?

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
It is a nice machine on its own but is very limiting when you think about it. It is worse than tablets as a tablet and worse than laptops as a laptop. which means this is best suited for those who absolutely have to have a all-in-one device.

However the RT version is not even close to fulfilling that promise (no desktop apps, no outlook, no macro in office? So much for no compromise) and the Pro version, if the reported 4-5 hour battery life is true, is a very weak proposition as a standalone tablet. It's more of a cool-in-a-nerdy-way laptop. And I haven't even mentioned the awkward kickstand, which makes it less than ideal as a true laptop.

The only way to make Surface truly work would be to make each part - the tablet and the laptop - at least as good as the competition in the respective area while pricing it competitively(i.e. they have to undercut iPad at least and have to match other Ultrabooks in price or close to it) To me that is not going to happen unless Microsoft takes a massive loss with hardware sales by lowering the price. But once that happens, they can kiss the OEM business good bye.

The rumored XBox tablet might be a more focused product with more redeeming quality.

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'm actually really interested in the surface pro. The stylus and mini DisplayPort make it very compelling to me.
Ditto here. But there are other Windows ultra-books out there and more showing up all the time. They'll all be in their 2nd revision by Summer. Just in time to adopt (or abandon) the next OSX.

And why is everyone comparing an Ivy Bridge core i5 machine with USB3 to a silly-assed iPad?

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
The Surface Pro is priced more than most ultrabooks on the market these days, plus they don't even include a keyboard with the tablet. I would rather get a MacBook Air, it adds up to the same price when you count the keyboard.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Not sure how its a fail.

It's not even for sale yet. Lets see how people respond to it before we start up with the usual partisan bashing.

For a touch, 1080p like this, I would say it ain't bad.

I wouldn't call it unreasonable to say that the Surface Pro looks pretty unappealing right now.

- $900 (+$100 for the keyboard -- and let's face it, it's the unique selling point of the Surface, so it's hardly optional)
- 4.5 hours of battery life
- weighs almost 1kg
- it has fans (really!)
- hardly any apps made for touch
- Windows 8 itself takes at least 10GB from that capacity (we won't know how much until it comes out -- Microsoft strangely don't want to tell anyone the details about this product)

Put it this way: I'm not getting one. I don't think I'll feel like I'm missing anything.

Have you heard of the iPad?

And I can guarantee you 90% of people who want this were waiting for the Pro.

Yeah, maybe that's not so great. I also would expect this one to outsell the RT, but I seriously doubt it'll come anywhere close to iPad sales figures.

Most people who didn't buy a Surface didn't read up on this and think "hey! that product with no announced price or release date sounds like great value! I'm going to wait for however long that takes!".

They went and bought iPads.

Last edited:

rappac

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Microsoft and Surface

On Mac Site is anathema, unless we are just keeping up with the competition. I like to keep up with the competition, but not on this site.
What is the Mac Rumor in this? What is the rumor about the new ___ Mac! Especially the PRO! I've been waiting to update my studio for a while.
Haters please don't bother responding, try restraint.;)

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Windows 8 is a bust, WP8 is a bust, and Surface is a bust. When you look at Apple products you want to hold them, you want to own them. Windows has always been so utilitarian. Just not impressed by their designs. MS must get some kind of hit in the mobile market or there will be serious trouble for them in the future. Desktops are going to be purchased based on compatibility with the devices we have in our hands most of the time. Enterprise is eating up the iPhone. MS is getting attacked on the personal desktop, and the enterprise desktop markets at the same time. Couple that with the fact that Windows 8 is terrible (I understand why they needed to make a change but it sucks) and you can see the end of Windows dominance. Bill G should sell a lot of the stock his foundations are built on so they don't go under when MS does.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Indeed. Do you think Microsoft now regrets the day Bill Gates agreed to bail Apple out with an injection of $150 million back in 1997?

No, because that wasn't a bail-out, it was a cross-licensing agreement. Apple had $1.2 billion in cash at that point and were in no immediate danger of going under (though they probably would have eventually if they'd continued on the path they were on at that time).

--Eric

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
"$900 for a laptop...with a plan! And it doesn't even have a keyboard which makes it not a very good email machine."

- Steve Ballmer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.