Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vonner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Has anyone had any luck updating their ATV from version 5.1.0 to the new 5.1.1? Mine keeps failing (via wired connection).

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Is YouTuber still there?

I'm concerned that it is going to go missing one of these updates?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
any new features?

From the release notes, only new feature is for Music and the ability to see the Up Next info (which is a new feature in iTunes 11). Everything else are stability/maintenance items which are not specifically defined.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
it keeps saying the update was not successful for me, apple tv 3rd gen.

im gonna try wifi by i doubt that will work.

okay, i can confirm there is an issue updating the apple tv 3rd gen if it is using the ethernet for connection.

i tried wi fi and it worked first time.

finally.

Last edited:

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
it keeps saying the update was not successful for me, apple tv 3rd gen.

im gonna try wifi by i doubt that will work.

okay, i can confirm there is an issue updating the apple tv 3rd gen if it is using the ethernet for connection.

i tried wi fi and it worked first time.

finally.
i have an ATV3 as well and had no issue with an ethernet connected update. note that i skipped the last update though

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Anyone with netflix issues have their problems (streaming reloads etc) fixed with this update?

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I went for it and upgraded the works: Apple TV, iTunes 11 and Remote app. I find Apple TV is more responsive and the Remote App on the iPad mini is much better (less lag especially in the search field).

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Is YouTuber still there?

I'm concerned that it is going to go missing one of these updates?

Just an FYI: Apple could remove YouTube from the aTV any time they want to... It's Internet based so they could yank it whenever they want even without an update. Remember how Hulu and apple events appeared without an update? And then Apple Events left without an update? Same thing applies here sadly. But I don't see YouTube leaving anytime soon anyway, because of the lack of App Store.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
ATV 2, my update has been on "step 1 of 2: preparing update..." for the past 40 minutes.

cflem

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Texas
Home Movies... another head scratcher...

Home Videos in iTunes 11 - YAY! How awesome - except you cant stream to your apple TV via Home Sharing... I mean really - how is this possible? Its such the little things that Apple keeps missing on these days... to offer a feature like this is great - then to cripple it in the most obvious way is just plain irresponsible... these little things are driving me nuts.

Last edited:

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Have one 3rd gen on ethernet and a 2nd gen on wifi, both got updated no problem! I love the fact that i can listen to music without even opening the tv, now that the remote app shows ur music, albums and playlist from itunes match! Gotta love it!!

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Home Videos in iTunes 11 - YAY! How awesome - except you cant stream to your apple TV via Home Sharing... I mean really - how is this possible? Its such the little things that Apple keeps missing on these days... to offer a feature like this is great - then to cripple it in the most obvious way is just plain irresponsible... these little things are driving me nuts.

Yes you can. They are hid in playlist under movies.

osohardy

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009

Do you mean browsing via atv to your homeshare and playing videos that way or trying to airplay from mac. For me everything is exactly the same. I updated itunes and apple tv and even changed the video type of my home movies to home video in itunes. I had already assigned them a custom genre. In itunes, they now have their own section in Movies, and under genre as well. On the atv the interface is exactly as before--one big Movies section with all my playlists or by genre. My home videos still stream fine. I was hoping home video would be a new entry but no such luck with the bastard stepchild of ios. Remote app update is very nice tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.