Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I myself am not defending the brand. I'm not a fanboy. I do love my Apple products though. I have put my phone in my pants pocket. I have seen others do it as well. Under normal conditions, nothing would happen. However, if your pants are tight and you slide a phone in there and sit down, pressure will be exerted and the possibility for the phone to bend/flex will be greatly increased.

Is your leg flat or round? Does your phone stay vertical or does it shift horizontal? I can pretty much say without a doubt, someone with tight jeans that puts a phone in their pants horizontally, then sits down, pressure will be applied and stress on the phone will occur.

I can hold my iPhone 5 and flex it corner to corner with moderate pressure. It's not a defect. It's called aluminum. It's also called thin aluminum with no real supporting structure inside. Yes having all the bits and pieces screwed down help but in the end it's still hollow when it comes to structure.

This is not a complex idea. It's not rocket science. I'm not supporting peoples claims that their phone just randomly become bent without cause. There's always a cause. I also don't support that it's a defect. It's not.

I really wish people would stop saying it's impossible and that the phone is ******. It's not.

Well said. The iPhone is a fine piece of machinery. If someone wants to be able to treat their iPhone badly, that's one thing, but blaming damage that comes as a result on the manufacturer is another. It's wrong. It is unfair to Apple and it is unfair to consumerism.

People need to understand that the iPhone is not a play thing.

Also, the 4/4S was much more durable because when comparing stainless steel to aluminum of similar thickness, the stainless is far stiffer. The stainless absorbs impact and bounces back. Aluminum absorbs impact and deforms instead of bouncing back. However, the glass is much harder to damage. However the glass is more durable because this new aluminum body makes it harder for the glass to shatter since the shock is lesser if the body deforms than if it retains its shape.

It's late, so it's kind of hard to articulate what I'm trying to say. I'll try it again tomorrow.

Last edited:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Where is the evidence? The other threads? The gizmodo review? The Androids attack? The will it blend was confused and mistyped will it bend, surely was typed on an iPhone 5.
Have you asked Siri? The google equivalent?

epicfailguy2

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
I did the pocket and sit in a couch test.
My 3GS does not bend.
My 4S does not bend.
My SGS 2 does not bend.
My Note 2 cracks but does not bend.
Dunno about the 5 since I believe apple has become as stale as a salad of rotten cocks.

carreragt7

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I have never dropped my iPhone 5, or sat on it. I have, however, kept it in my front pocket of my jeans every day. I ride a motorcycle to work and school, and this is the closest thing I can find that could be putting stress on the iPhone frame. Today I noticed that my phone has a slight bend to it, mainly concentrated around the lower volume button. My iPhone 3G, 4, 4S never had this problem in the same usage. I'm going to see if Apple will replace it, and if so I will have to reconsider where I put my phone. Sure, the current phone could be bent the other way, but I don't feel like taking the chance that it won't break or cause strange stress marks. I paid full retail price for this and have treated it very well. Apple has always been great with taking care of me, so I'm not worried. I don't treat them as inferior and they return the favor. Niceness and honesty goes further in my experience.

S

syd430

I have never dropped my iPhone 5, or sat on it. I have, however, kept it in my front pocket of my jeans every day. I ride a motorcycle to work and school, and this is the closest thing I can find that could be putting stress on the iPhone frame. Today I noticed that my phone has a slight bend to it, mainly concentrated around the lower volume button. My iPhone 3G, 4, 4S never had this problem in the same usage.

Just watch , now you're going to get 10 people attack you and say its your fault because "common sense says you shouldn't be doing that". Just check out some of the previous responses below.

Yes these phones bend easily under certain conditions. I now have to make an effort to remember not to sit down and put my shoes on when I have my phone in my pocket because I know the force from leaning forward is probably going to bend my phone. I also try not to have my phone in my pocket when walking up stairs because it puts a lot of force on it as we'll.

I think the trade off for the lighter weight might still be worth it, but I definitely like this phone a lot less than when I first got it, and it makes the added bulk of the 4/4S look not so bad after all.

If it feels uncomfortably tight when you sit down, and it did for me even in moderately loose jeans, then you are doing something stupid by carrying it that way.

I think most people have enough sense to note the tightness and avoid stressing a thin piece of metal and glass, because it will occur to them, "This thing could bend, and that would not be good for it."

It will bend and flex. If your phone is bending, stop sitting on it or applying pressure. It's that simple.

aluminum bends. So, don't do things that will bend it. I'm just tired of people not owning up to their own decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
An phone's designed usage/intent is different than a computer in that it is designed to be placed in a pocket. So that analogy doesn't quite apply

You do realize that a MacBook Pro also bends when pressure is applied right? It's also in excess of $1000 dollars. Is it defective as well? It doesn't take much pressure to bend or flex a MacBook Pro either.

You also realize ANY phone will bend or flex when force is applied. Even a non-iPhone placed in your side pocket of tight jeans and you go and sit down. Materials flex and bend. iPhone is made out of aluminum, thin aluminum, it will bend and it will flex. It's just that simple.

I swear, people are never freaking happy. Ever. The only phone I have ever dropped was my 3GS. No issues.

The phone you want does not exist. Any material as thing as the casing is on the iPhone is going to bend/flex. It's a give/take. Do you want a light, thin phone or do you want a thick, heavy phone? Take your pick.

----------

Why do you need to see it done? Use your brain man. ALUMINUM, SOFT, THIN, LIGHT case - It will bend depending on the force. Seriously, did nobody else take science class?

You all think just because it's Apple and an iPhone it's indestructible? Jesus already. Enough.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have never dropped my iPhone 5, or sat on it. I have, however, kept it in my front pocket of my jeans every day. I ride a motorcycle to work and school, and this is the closest thing I can find that could be putting stress on the iPhone frame. Today I noticed that my phone has a slight bend to it, mainly concentrated around the lower volume button. My iPhone 3G, 4, 4S never had this problem in the same usage. I'm going to see if Apple will replace it, and if so I will have to reconsider where I put my phone. Sure, the current phone could be bent the other way, but I don't feel like taking the chance that it won't break or cause strange stress marks. I paid full retail price for this and have treated it very well. Apple has always been great with taking care of me, so I'm not worried. I don't treat them as inferior and they return the favor. Niceness and honesty goes further in my experience.

I did the same thing for a while though. Not anymore because of the cold. But I still didn't have any problems. And I ride a sport bike.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Mine has a slight bend to it, I just noticed it today while it was laying on my table. Really weird...

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I did the same thing for a while though. Not anymore because of the cold. But I still didn't have any problems. And I ride a sport bike.
I rode my Harley to work this morning. 30° F, so I had long johns under my jeans. A snug fit and I wouldn't feel confident with an iPhone 5 in my front jean pocket. My 4S was feeling the stress, but I know it can take it (that's why I bought it over the 5). There's plenty of reports at this point to make this a valid concern.

I'm hoping Apple bumps up the quality of aluminum for the 5S.

S

syd430

I wonder where all the posters went that were claiming the phone will never bend under normal use a few pages back.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I wonder where all the posters went that were claiming the phone will never bend under normal use a few pages back.

So many ways to answer that desperate cry for attention...

You spontaneously quoted a bunch of them at the end of your last message yesterday, so it would be redundant to post.

There's nothing new to say. Cranks will keep repeating the same thing tirelessly, while sane people will get tired of responding to it and move on. Soon, it'll be just you talking to yourself.

S

syd430

So many ways to answer that desperate cry for attention...

You spontaneously quoted a bunch of them at the end of your last message yesterday, so it would be redundant to post.

There's nothing new to say. Cranks will keep repeating the same thing tirelessly, while sane people will get tired of responding to it and move on. Soon, it'll be just you talking to yourself.

Beautiful post, and yes I'm desperate for your attention.

Actually, I came back to this thread because a couple of other people came along to post their stories.

But, yeah, no ones experiencing issues, no one else will experience this in the future, and soon I'll be the only one here talking to myself.

Edit: Woops, almost didn't realise that your the same guy that wrote these gems in regards to putting the phone in the front pocket of a pair of jeans:

If it feels uncomfortably tight when you sit down, and it did for me even in moderately loose jeans, then you are doing something stupid by carrying it that way.

I think most people have enough sense to note the tightness and avoid stressing a thin piece of metal and glass, because it will occur to them, "This thing could bend, and that would not be good for it."

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I like thin. I don't really care how much it weighs. the 4s weight was fine for me, so the weight savings is meh. I'd rather them bulk up certain parts of it (if possible) and keep it thin than worry about weight.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
This just in: "millions of iPhone users notice bends in their phones!!!"

Wait. No. I count... 4. 4 people. Out of millions. 4...

Good sample size, now excuse me while I go back to enjoying my unbent phone. It's just like the other 99% out there: problem free.

Sorry you had an extremely rare issue. Contact Apple and replace it.

See? Problem solved. And next time, don't sit on it (or drop it, or whatever you actually did...).

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
This just in: "millions of iPhone users notice bends in their phones!!!"

Wait. No. I count... 4. 4 people. Out of millions. 4...

Good sample size, now excuse me while I go back to enjoying my unbent phone. It's just like the other 99% out there: problem free.

Sorry you had an extremely rare issue. Contact Apple and replace it.

See? Problem solved. And next time, don't sit on it (or drop it, or whatever you actually did...).
Not out of millions, but out of people who have managed to find their way to these forums and bothered to post about it.

True, this may be blown out of proportion, but still, I made the informed decision to avoid the 5 because of these issues that have come out of it being so light and thin (screens popping out is another one). If people do buy this somewhat delicate 'jewel', they should take care to not put the kinds of stresses on it they might have with previous iPhones.

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
The problem is they used aluminium instead of a NiTi alloy. The iPhone 6 should be constructed with one of the 'memory metal' alloys so it just springs back to its original shape.

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Yes. If you freakin sit on it, it may well bend. If you put sharp metal to it, it may well scratch. Holy freaking crap.its no SCANDAL. It's common sense. Shove any freaking Android phone in your back pocket and sit your fat freakin a** on it and the plastic will likely crack. Put your keys or penknife to it and guess what?
Stop with all the drama. You expect too damn much. Shut up and enjoy your phone or else buy a phone you can enjoy without having to complain every 5 minutes...

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
This is crazy. I have never seen so many people "bent out of shape" about the release of a new product. I can't believe the concerns about what can or might happen to their PHONE is unbelievable. It's a phone, and really quite inexpensive considering what it is, and it seems that Apple will replace it if anything goes wrong anyway. I came to this forum to read about and enjoy my new phone. The more I read, it seems as if I will soon be brainwashed to hate my iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.