Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Isn't that one of the major selling features? Why include it on RT but not Pro?

My quick opinion: With the Surface Pro Microsoft probably doesn't want to cannibalize their cash cow by lowering its worth and also doesn't want to offend the OEMs by undercutting them massively by giving away Office.( what if OEMs start to demand Office at much lower price?) RT was competing against iPad and Microsoft is charging OEMs for both Windows and Office at the same time so it doesn't really hurt the actual Office sales, I don't think. The pro is a different story though. It is really a PC.

And the 11" MBA is basically an overpriced netbook. See how that works?

Where do I find a "Netbook" with a i5/i7 processor, battery life, keyboard, trackpad, and the build quality of MBA? I really love to know.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Wow. Not sounding good for MSFT. Sounding spectacular for AAPL.

Not that I want AAPL to win (except if I happen to be holding stock), but I'm glad that MSFT is losing this. They've proven that they don't care how bad their stuff is as long as the majority of people buy it and even if the majority of people don't buy it. So I'd be glad if anyone were to beat MSFT, including the Linux community.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Guilty pleasure!

Ok I have to admit that if it goes on fire sale for $199 I will pick one, just to hack around with it

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the Surface Pro is an overpriced laptop. At least the Air looks nice and runs a good OS, which would give it some use to certain users. Oh, and it doesn't have the word "Pro" in its name.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
may be a full blown OS, but how many people want to use this over a desktop experience that window users are used to.

Apple users have been through this when the ipad 1 came out.... Now is Microsoft's turn, and I don't think their ready.... People are already struggling over the Metro design, there used to a mouse, since they always used one.

Because it's touted to be "the end of iPad" by some fellow MacRumors members here :D

fair enough.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Sad that Windows 8 has flopped, the sales of the OS and Surface aren't doing as well as they expected.. Not entirely surprised though, I've been seeing constant complaints by advanced and basic users all over the internet..

Windows 8 isnt a flop by any means, they've sold 40 million in the first month, same as windows 7. Either way you count it windows dominates apple in computer os

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

Most netbooks have an Atom processor which is substantially underpowered compared to the Core 2 Duo in the Macbok Air.

Without an SSD drive while we are at it.

A more fair comparison would be with an Ultrabook.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
How much do they weigh?

Weight wasn't mentioned in the comparison to laptop battery life. The comment was simply that the surface has half an average laptop's battery life. That comment is reasonably accurate when you take into account some laptops are getting up to 24+ hrs now (and yes, sure some crappy ones are down near 3 hrs).

The 10 hr 12" machines are comparable in weight to a 13" MBP. Sure if you pull the spec sheet up there may be a difference (haven't checked), but they are by no means not portable.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the Surface Pro is an overpriced laptop. At least the Air looks nice and runs a better OS, which would give it some use to certain users.

Don't feed the troll.

Overpriced or not MBA is a laptop, not a laptop trying to be a tablet or a tablet trying to be a laptop.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the Surface Pro is an overpriced laptop. At least the Air looks nice and runs a good OS, which would give it some use to certain users. Oh, and it doesn't have the word "Pro" in its name.

Purely subjective.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Don't feed the troll.

Overpriced or not MBA is a laptop, not a laptop trying to be a tablet or a tablet trying to be a laptop.

He's not a troll, just a guy who almost always criticizes Apple. At least he has good reason to in this case, but it doesn't offer one bit of defense for MS.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
He's not a troll, just a guy who almost always criticizes Apple. At least he has good reason to in this case, but it doesn't offer one bit of defense for MS.

I wasn't trying to defend MS. I was just pointing out how it works both ways. When the 11" MBA first came out, many here said it was an overpriced netbook. That is why I posted what I did. And I wasn't criticizing you either. I think that you know that from our prior discussions.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

As always, the people who claim to be objective and preach that we should criticize apple because it is the objective thing to do, somehow always lose their sense of objectivity and facts when it's something that favors Apple (Really? Calling an i5/i7 equipped computer a "Netbook"?)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Purely subjective.

What do you want me to do, compare specs? They're about the same except that the Surface has a better screen and battery while the Air has more ports and the ability to run any OS. I'd consider the Surface a better deal for the hardware, but it's still a bad deal, and it's supposed to be "Pro". The Air is clearly not for someone who cares about specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.