Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
The one advertised in this article is the unlocked one which is same price as Aussie.

No, not the same price. Normally Apple is pretty good when pricing in Australia (compared to companies like Adobe which really screw us). For example:

iPad with Retina, 16 GB wi-fi:
US store: $499
Australian store: $539

That's the kind of markup I can live with. (Edit: The Australian price is actually less when you subtract the 10% GST, making the prices match very closely with actual currency rates.)

But iPhone 5, 16 GB:
US store: $649
Australian store: $799

That's a big penalty for living down under even though our dollar is on top!

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
What's the big fuss about? Anyone who wanted to get a sim-lock free iPhone could have already gotten just the Verizon version.

Not to mention the fact that this is probably the AT&T Version unlocked, which means for all the people getting abroad: No LTE (unlike the Verizon version).

So what?

So this is the AT&T model A1428? Does the Verizon Model A1429 work on European LTE bands? Or would you be limited to 3G speeds no matter which one you took overseas?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
So this is the AT&T model A1428? Does the Verizon Model A1429 work on European LTE bands? Or would you be limited to 3G speeds no matter which one you took overseas?

I believe the Verizon Model is the most international as far as LTE goes. I don't have a source handy but I believe it is so.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
I sense the sarcasm.

The price you pay for an upper class unlocked phone :rolleyes:.

Nexus 4 at $299 and $349 GSM unlocked seem to be popular. Google can't keep up with demand. But they might not have many in stock in the first place.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
What I can't understand is that UNLOCKED iPhones aren't available from day 1 in the US :confused:

Most likely an agreement with AT&T/SPRINT/VERIZON to not offer immediately it so they can make sure to get their customers and people first...from supply to also sales.

The 5 isn't available yet on Virgin either...most likely coming next week also.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
No, not the same price. Normally Apple is pretty good when pricing in Australia (compared to companies like Adobe which really screw us). For example:

iPad with Retina, 16 GB wi-fi:
US store: $499
Australian store: $539

That's the kind of markup I can live with.

But iPhone 5, 16 GB:
US store: $649
Australian store: $799

That's a big penalty for living down under even though our dollar is on top!

What is your minimum wage!

At 20 years of age $15.59.
Americans get a lot less so quit complaining!

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Nexus 4 at $299 and $349 GSM unlocked seem to be popular. Google can't keep up with demand. But they might not have many in stock in the first place.

Technically, the quality android phone is currently the Samsung Galaxy SIII which sells for $699 unlocked.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Wow. Apple hit it out of the ballpark with these prices. The biggest update to the iPhone ever, and the off-contract price comes down compared to the 4S.

Ordering one for my wife and daughter.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Which makes me wonder if these prices are anywhere near profitable, or if they're selling them at cost or even at a loss.

Deanobear

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Most likely an agreement with AT&T/SPRINT/VERIZON to not offer immediately it so they can make sure to get their customers and people first...from supply to also sales.

The 5 isn't available yet on Virgin either...most likely coming next week also.

What I'm trying to say is, why are iPhones on the US Apple Store NOT unlocked from the day they go on sale, which has always been the case here, nothing to do with providers, here providers are in the same category as "lawyers, used-car sales-people, telemarketers, and the rest of the A-Grade Shysters" :cool:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
What is your minimum wage!

At 20 years of age $15.59.
Americans get a lot less so quit complaining!

I see you edited your comment since I first replied. Minimum wage is only one indicator. The gap between the rich and poor is far greater in the US than it is in Australia. Rich people buy iPhones too.

I'd suggest to you that the additional cost of Apple doing business in Australia doesn't justify such a big difference in price, but I'll admit that's pure speculation and I could be wrong.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I can't understand the situation in the US. I live in Australia, and I bought my iPhone 5 outright from Apple, as it has always been - with iPhone 3, 4, etc., you can order from the online site, it's unlocked and you put in the sim of your mobile provider of choice. What hold do US carriers have over Apple? Perhaps someone can enlighten me ... :)

in the US you can order from Apple for $199/$299/$399 *but* you're obliged to a two year contract and the device is mostly locked to one of the three official carriers. Some carriers, like AT&T, do not unlock your device until you've completed your contract, so if you're one to travel overseas a lot... then this is the problem.

Additionally, if you wish to use the iPhone on another carrier, not one of the three official (and most expensive ones) carriers, you wouldn't want to sign a contract for 2 years. You were only able to order an iPhone from apple.com provided you were a customer of one of those three carriers.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I see you edited your comment since I first replied. Minimum wage is only one indicator. The gap between the rich and poor is far greater in the US than it is in Australia. Rich people buy iPhones too.

I'd suggest to you that the additional cost of Apple doing business in Australia doesn't justify such a big difference in price, but I'll admit that's pure speculation and I could be wrong.

For all we know the Australian government could put tariffs on the imports of Apple iPhones so they are more competitive in the Australian market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.