Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Where can the software for flashing 4,1to 5,1 be found? I have heard that there is a utility which will flash 4,1 to 5,1 or restore 4,1 from 5,1.

Thanks for any insights.

jsmacpro

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Hey I'm brand new here. Did you have any luck? I tried registering on that other site and every time I try to find that EFI firmware update the site just hangs up and I never get connected through. Would anyone be willing to email the "app" to me directly.

I just purchased on ebay a 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro and would love to do the hex core update.

Question 1. - if I buy the 1333 mhz ram from OWC will that run ok given at a lower speed in the 2009 Mac Pro up until I get the EFI Firmware update and upgrade the chip?

Question 2. - Also can you do the firmware upgrade to allow just for the faster ram but still run the original 2.66 ghz quad core for a while until I get the $$$ for the hex core?

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
Just checked Netkas earlier today... the EFI Update is still there, at the link provided by langer. I did the upgrade 2009 Quad > 2010 Hex a month or two back. Works great.

jsmacpro

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
This site is GREAT! Thanks for answering those questions so quickly. I did just try the site and today it worked for me. Just registered a new name on forum and activated and BOOM got it. I'll keep you posted - I may have a few questions on the install procedure but I'll do my homework first of course.

Thanks everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.