Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deanobear

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
For all we know the Australian government could put tariffs on the imports of Apple iPhones so they are more competitive in the Australian market.

Here in Australia we have what's called GST (Goods & Services Tax), so if something costs US$200 in the US, it will roughly cost A$220, give or take a dollar or two, iPhones, iMacs, iPods, etc., are classed as a "luxury goods", as they're not "necessities", hence the price increase. It's a lot better than what it used to be.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Here in Australia we have what's called GST (Goods & Services Tax), so if something costs US$200 in the US, it will roughly cost A$220, give or take a dollar or two, iPhones, iMacs, iPods, etc., are classed as a "luxury goods", as they're not "necessities", hence the price increase. It's a lot better than what it used to be.

In the States they also have a federal tax and state taxes. When you see the price of $200 US D that is before taxes.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
In the States they also have a federal tax and state taxes. When you see the price of $200 US D that is before taxes.

Right. That shows what an excellent deal we're normally getting on most of Apple's products, like the iPad as I said before. So generally I have no complaints with Apple in this regard. It just seems odd that the iPhone price difference is so out of step with their other products. I wonder if it has anything to do with Apple's deals with Telstra, Optus, etc.

mikethewxguy

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Finally! Picked up 2 (1 for me and 1 for the wifey) as I'm US Military stationed in Europe with my next assignment being in Korea (Seoul)....the contracts over here in Germany are crazy/stupid/expensive for numerous reasons! Maybe it won't be able to do LTE here or in Korea...but I do not really care! This is still the best way to go unless you have unlimited funds while living overseas.

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Will Unlocked USA Phones work in the UK?

Hi,
Does anyone know if these unlocked iPhones are the same as the unlocked iPhones in the UK?
By that I mean will they work with any UK network SIM?
I ask because I'm in the USA in January and at the current exchange rate the 64GB model works out £100 less if purchased in the USA (and yes I have factored in the 8% tax).
Thanks in advance

GB :)

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
Unless you're in Delaware or Oregon, where they pay no taxes on goods and services whatsoever. Here in Canada everything costs more as well, you don't have to live down under to pay premium compared to the us of a, though unlocked iPhone 5 was available from day 1. Costs 700$ and canadian dollar is pretty much in par with us, ussually a cent or two higher in value and that's before taxes as well.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Finally! Picked up 2 (1 for me and 1 for the wifey) as I'm US Military stationed in Europe with my next assignment being in Korea (Seoul)....the contracts over here in Germany are crazy/stupid/expensive for numerous reasons! Maybe it won't be able to do LTE here or in Korea...but I do not really care! This is still the best way to go unless you have unlimited funds while living overseas.

Hey, I've been doing a lot of research regarding this and if you are going to South Korea, get yourself the Verizon model. That way you can get the LTE bands in Seoul. Same price just get device only.

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
There is no federal sales tax. Just sales taxes assessed by the state (with the exceptions of Oregon and Delaware as someone else noted) and city/county/region. An example of a regional sales tax: Here in the parts of the New York metropolitan area within New York State that are served by the Metropolitan Transit Authority, a tiny percentage is allocated to the MTA.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Is there a possibility of an official unlocked Verizon model?
This would be really popular for LTE seeking travelers, but I guess it won't really be any competition to the gsm model. ::sigh::

Anybody with a good guess with other phones in the same situation?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
What is your minimum wage!

At 20 years of age $15.59.
Americans get a lot less so quit complaining!

Just because minimum wage is nearly 2x as much doesn't mean every single person earns twice as much. A physician in Australia for example will make less than a US equivalent in many cases (one major exception are those still in training). Same holds true for many professions.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
$650 for a 16gb phone?

How much koolaid does one have to drink to justify spending THAT much cash on ANY phone?!

You'll find that the unlocked price of the Samsung Galaxy SIII is $699.

You might also want to look up the unlocked price on the HTC One models.

This is what phones actually cost.

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
So only unlocked GSM iPhones, not CDMA phones... what is going on? Why not CDMA phones? Guess I am STILL waiting...

Matthew

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
As usual, Apple is ripping people off in other countries. Here in Germany, an unlocked iPhone is 679 Euros. An unlocked iPhone in the US is 649 Dollars. 649 Dollars is 500 Euros, 19 % (our sales tax) of 500 Euros is 95 Euros. The iPhone should really cost around 600 Euros here! Having different GSM bands can't make a difference of 179 Euros pre-tax!

-monkey-

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Chicago
$50/month vs. $94/month

I'm gonna get the iPhone5 soon. I've had an iPhone4 from Europe for a while now and I only get 3G connection here in Chicago. The nice thing tho is that I only pay $50/month in T-mobile versus $94 in ATT. The best part is that I get unlimited data and text. It's even way cheaper in a family plan.

I'm fine with 3G connection if I can save almost $50 a month. :D

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
I can't understand the situation in the US. I live in Australia, and I bought my iPhone 5 outright from Apple, as it has always been - with iPhone 3, 4, etc., you can order from the online site, it's unlocked and you put in the sim of your mobile provider of choice. What hold do US carriers have over Apple? Perhaps someone can enlighten me ... :)

I forgot to mention we have a provider here called Amaysim - they're big in Europe too ... $39.90 (aussie dollars) for unlimited calls to land-lines, mobiles, text and 4gb of data per month, and they use one of the largest telcos here, wide coverage all over the country, why do US telcos charge so much?

It's some sort of regulatory thing as I understand it. It's quite difficult to start a cellular service in the states, as T-Mobile has discovered. There's a reason they've been forced to use AWS GSM bands, and it isn't choice... But, alas, people keep voting for these regulatory types, so these issues tend to get worse. :) I'm beyond caring much about what happens to this country anymore though. I'm planning on moving to Canada in a few years.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Wow. Apple hit it out of the ballpark with these prices. The biggest update to the iPhone ever, and the off-contract price comes down compared to the 4S.

Ordering one for my wife and daughter.

They're not cheaper. I bought my iPhone 4S in March unlocked from the Apple Store 5th Avenue, swapped in my SIM from my 4 since I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan on AT&T. I wanted to use my phone when I traveled to Nigeria later that month. I paid the same $849 before 8.6% sales tax here in NYC.

Lefteous

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
So the iPhone 5 is 20$ cheaper than an iPad with Retina Display with comparable configuration. How can this be true? The iPhone really is way to expensive. Making 100-200$ dollar less expensive would many people buy an iPhone instead of a Samsung.

ajain2004

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I can't understand the situation in the US. I live in Australia, and I bought my iPhone 5 outright from Apple, as it has always been - with iPhone 3, 4, etc., you can order from the online site, it's unlocked and you put in the sim of your mobile provider of choice. What hold do US carriers have over Apple? Perhaps someone can enlighten me ... :)

I forgot to mention we have a provider here called Amaysim - they're big in Europe too ... $39.90 (aussie dollars) for unlimited calls to land-lines, mobiles, text and 4gb of data per month, and they use one of the largest telcos here, wide coverage all over the country, why do US telcos charge so much?

------------------------------------
Coz US carrier are greedy and want to RIP customer as much as they can by luring them with subsidize price of $200 starting for iPhone.
US customers are born to live on month to month expense and feels that $200 for iphone is very good price even though they have to shelve $100/Mo on their mobile bill.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
So the iPhone 5 is 20$ cheaper than an iPad with Retina Display with comparable configuration. How can this be true? The iPhone really is way to expensive. Making 100-200$ dollar less expensive would many people buy an iPhone instead of a Samsung.

The Samsung Galaxy SIII is $699 unlocked.

The radios, chips and antennas add to the cost as well as all the licensing costs to sell a cell phone.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
$150'ish less for each model and they would actually be worth it. As it is now, there's no reason to not get an Android instead if you're buying unlocked, unless you're a true Apple fanboy of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.