Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applefan17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
I did try Verizon for a week to see what there service was like since they are legendary for their coverage and infamous for slow 3G. Anyway, after testing it turns out that even Verizon lacked service in my house as well as AT&T, which is odd considering that I live near the highway and even 2 minutes away from a popular mall. I decided to go with AT&T mainly because what the sales associates offered me and the fact that I get more data for less money/HSPA+. The rep waived my activation fees on the 3 lines I was opening and even gave me a Microcell for free to help with my in-home service. Despite the horror stories, AT&T clearly wins in my book.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
The problem with Verizon is that even their 3G service isn't the best indoors. The only thing they are great at is voice and nothing more. It's unfortunate that we pay so much to them and only half the service works

Spreading out their towers, thus taking advantage of their 800 MHz spectrum was a fantastic idea at one point. But this idea can only last as long as the technology is being used, and voice minutes are declining rapidly year by year. The next big thing out there is data and they really need to get their act together and invest some more money on adding cell sites.

I understand that indoor coverage is not guaranteed, but when we are teased by tmobile customers that they have full service and amazing speeds, there is no excuse for a company that charges us triple to not have the same indoor coverage as the cheaper carriers.

Verizon is new to gsm and its almost as if they're treating their gsm network like CDMA. They think they can spread the towers all over, reduce the output power by 50% and have awesome service. Doesn't work that way with GSM.

Many places that I see a cell site with Verizon and AT&T transmitters on them, I pay attention to my signal strength in dbm. AT&T keeps kicking Verizon's ass with their LTE network, especially indoors. It's an embarrassment.

I can see why you would think Verizon is treating LTE like GSM however it's important to note they aren't done with their LTE deployment. They are making it usable for markets but they are still deploying more sites and will have their existing 3G footprint covered with LTE next year (According to them). I'm sure they will work on renting out more space for towers and getting the configuration right. If not, their are other options as you said T-mobile. Problem with them is it works in major markets but i've had problems with them outside that.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I've had Verizon for 12 years and can count the times I've dropped calls on one hand, I can't compare data speeds but my LTE is extremely fast, my dad has AT&T and drops calls on a daily basis

rtztgue

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
As with all similar debates its the area you are in and your personal needs. I am in Seattle and the AT&T data was much better than verizon. I agree I have had less dropped calls with Verizon, but for me the data speed is much more important. A dropped call means I hit redial. No data speed means I wait and wait and then wait somemore... OR I am unable to finish a job because I cannot download a spec sheet. The other day I could not run a credit card cause verizon was so bad.

I have had both AT&T and Verizon... for my need AT&T was better. That is until road construction took down the AT&T tower by my office no one could use their cell phone within a 12 block radius....

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I couldn't have been more than happy :)
i get around 40mbps on lte (during the day, 50 at night).. and have had 1 dropped call so far.

as many have pointed out.. just depends on your area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.