Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spoiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
After reading a few threads here it looks like most people are going for the 1TB fusion. Any particular reason you don't go for the 3TB? Besides money, or the lack of...

taylord22

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
You get better bang for buck adding your own external drive. Same could be said for SSD...I went with the 1TB Fusion and am adding a 3TB external

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
After reading a few threads here it looks like most people are going for the 1TB fusion. Any particular reason you don't go for the 3TB? Besides money, or the lack of...

No, it was not a money issue. I have a 320GB on my 2009 Mac Mini and it is still not close to being filled up. I just do not foresee having 3TB of data. I don't do anything with video.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You get better bang for buck adding your own external drive. Same could be said for SSD...I went with the 1TB Fusion and am adding a 3TB external

You get even better bang for your buck by leaving the standard 1TB drive and adding an SSD via Thunderbolt externally.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
These days a lot of us have external NAS devices with 16+ TB of storage already. Personally I keep most of my data on my external storage and use the internal drives just for the OS and apps.

Chihawk725

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
No, it was not a money issue. I have a 320GB on my 2009 Mac Mini and it is still not close to being filled up. I just do not foresee having 3TB of data. I don't do anything with video.

Agreed. I have about 190GB of data right now, and do not see filling up the fusion 1 TB any time soon..if ever

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Also, Boot Camp doesn't work on the 3TB Fusion Drive "at this time."

You gotta be &*^*&^*& me...

I ordered a 3TB Fusion.

I don't really "NEED" BootCamp for what i do with Windows, I usually use Parallels 8 but I use it with a BootCamp Partition, just in case I need it.

I just went for the 3TB because with edu discount it wasn't that much more imo.

But I would of just bought the 1TB if I'd of known about the Bootcamp issue.

Oh well..

MetzoPaino

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
A 3TB FD will allow me to move everything internally. Have a 250GB HD at the moment and it is painfully constrained as I have a lot of media.

Might revise the order if teardowns show that the new iMac is simple to open and replace the drives.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I won't come close to filling up 1TB of space with my Animation work and even if I do, I got external HDs to store data. If Apple added more SSD space in the 3TB option than I would justify the purchase.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
As the SSD is same size in all Fusion Drive configurations, you get best bang for the buck by getting the 1TB Fusion and adding more non-SSD storage with external Thunderbolt/USB3.0 drives later on (if even needed)...

ucas98

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
I got a 1tb Fusion simply because I want to run Windows through BootCamp.

While I'm sure an official solution will come along eventually, I don't want to have to wait for Apple to provide it (may take ages).

I'm sure there'll be hacks too, but I'd rather avoid those.

Spoiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
I got a 1tb Fusion simply because I want to run Windows through BootCamp.

While I'm sure an official solution will come along eventually, I don't want to have to wait for Apple to provide it (may take ages).

I'm sure there'll be hacks too, but I'd rather avoid those.

But do we really know that BootCamp doesn't work on 3TB? And also, do we really know that it does work on the 1TB FD? After all, the whole fusion thing is new to all of us.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I have no need for anything above 1TB right now. I had a rMBP for a short time and was doing fine with a 512GB SSD. If they had offered that option, I probably would have done that over the FD. I also have a 3TB USB3 External drive that I keep all my chunky media files on, so my FD will be for OSX and my applications/games.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Price mostly for me. I may feel cramped on a 250GB MacBook, so I wanted at least 1TB, got the Fusion for the speed. As it is a desktop, I don't mind externals, so I got the smaller Fusion option. I have picked up a 3TB external each of the last two Black Fridays for $99 each, and it is USB3, so I should be good on actual storage.

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
You gotta be &*^*&^*& me...

I ordered a 3TB Fusion.

I don't really "NEED" BootCamp for what i do with Windows, I usually use Parallels 8 but I use it with a BootCamp Partition, just in case I need it.

I just went for the 3TB because with edu discount it wasn't that much more imo.

But I would of just bought the 1TB if I'd of known about the Bootcamp issue.

Oh well..

The discount did help a lot. I was originally going for the 1TB fusion but with the discount it allowed me to go for the 3TB which came out around same price of 1TB without the discount.

Also i got it knowing Boot Camp doesn't work currently, but i plan on waiting, not really in a hurry to install windows yet. That will give me time to decide either W7/8

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I went with a 1tb fusion as well. I'm using about 500GB currently in my old iMac, but 150GB of that is photos and 150GB of that is videos. I use the photo library a lot, as well as a lot of work files, so I'll be doing an external 512GB SSD once I can buy/build one for under $300 (right now it's about $400) just for photos/work, and the 128gb SSD part of the fusion will more than handle the OS, apps and other frequently accessed files that I'll actually leave on the iMac. If I decide to do more video work (now that I'll have a monster machine that can handle it) then I'll just get a really big fast thunderbolt drive.

ucas98

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
But do we really know that BootCamp doesn't work on 3TB? And also, do we really know that it does work on the 1TB FD? After all, the whole fusion thing is new to all of us.

Very true. I'm only going by Apple's official documentation, that states BootCamp will work on 1tb, but not 3tb.

I suppose we'll wait 3 weeks and see.

photoz

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2006
Part-time photographer here, already have close to 1TB of images/edts on my PC, went with 3TB Fusion for more flexibility from the start.
Also, MKV movies take up a lot of space ;-)

msg362

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Thailand
Why??

It always amuses me, someone will spend £2000 ( $2600) on a top spec iMac and then try to save a few quid( dollars) and have wires wandering around. I could understand it if the answer was 'not good to store all your data on a 3TB drive, what happens when it fails?'
I edit video and have just ordered the top spec 27" with a 3 TB fusion drive. That way I hope everything will be fast.
I've got F/W drives to use as back ups/archives and one 1TB USB drive.
The extra cost here in Thailand was less than £100 ( but in Baht!!). On a buy of £2000. less than 5%, for so much more convenience. someone please tell me I've made a mistake!! I could have saved £30!

Last edited:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
1) I may need to Bootcamp
2) I don't have that much stuff (~150GB)

A 3TB would be simply a waste of money for me.
If 256GB SSD or 512GB Fusion options existed, I would go for those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.