Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfxguy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Los Angeles
Error occurred loading content

I can't get any of my movies to play after updating to 5.1.1 and iTunes 11.

I get the message "an error has occurred loading this content. Try again later."

It worked perfectly fine before the updates.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
I got an ATV as a birthday present today and was prompted to update immediately after setting it up. Updating over wifi didn't work; I had to restore it to factory settings and update from iTunes. :( But it's been perfect since then and I still love it so far!

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
was hoping that it would finalize organize TV shows per show instead of season now that iTunes does, no luck

I know! After seeing iTunes 11 sorting TV like this I was all excited that the ATV would follow, but alas no...

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I upgraded to 5.1.1 (and iTunes 11) successfully but have had one issue and that is that when streaming from Home Sharing the feed will just stop when the home computer goes to sleep. This happens when streaming music or movies and can be avoided by extending the sleep period.

This did not happen before the update and may be an iTunes rather than ATV issue.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Home Videos in iTunes 11 - YAY! How awesome - except you cant stream to your apple TV via Home Sharing... I mean really - how is this possible? Its such the little things that Apple keeps missing on these days... to offer a feature like this is great - then to cripple it in the most obvious way is just plain irresponsible... these little things are driving me nuts.
Your home videos appear as a genre category. Took me a while to figure it out. And it's stupid. Should have the same library on the aTV as appears in iTunes.

Edit: After reading other posts, I suspect that they are appearing under the Home Movies genre just because my metadata genre is Home Movies not because I moved them to the Home Movies library category in iTunes.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I'm having similar issues. Over Home Sharing keep dropping for me. Didn't have this issue at all before updating to 5.1.1 and iTunes 11. Video just stops playing randomly and the Apple TV goes back to the home screen. Going back in, the video will resume from where it left off.

I don't get an error message though. Just goes right back to the home screen.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Mine failed several times using Ethernet. Worked first time using wifi.

My worked 1st thing this AM .. over a wired connection. If nothing else is proves once again that technology is nothing if not fickle. :D

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Individual Episode Posters are back in TV Shows

One niche positive I've found: this update brings back using whatever show poster is assigned to a TV show episode rather than seeming to just pick a single poster for a whole season and showing that regardless of which show is selected in that season.

Long ago, I decided to tag all of my home movies as TV shows so that they could be organized by year. Each has it's own poster associated with it. This worked great until I finally replaced the :apple:TV1 with the "3". The latter ignored the individual posters and just used one for all "episodes" of a season. This update switching (this part of) things back to how it used to be.

Now if only the Movies list would do something the "1" used to have: support the "Show" field so that multi-episode movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc could all go into their own (Show) folder. For example, tag the 6 Star Wars films with the Show tag "Star Wars" and they show as a single line item in the movie list. Click that line item to yield a list of the 6 movies. This shortens the movie list in a logical, intuitive way.

I'd also love to see TV Shows resurrect putting a whole TV Series as one line item instead of breaking each year out as it's own line item. For example, my "Home Movies" series used to be a single item under "TV shows". Now, it's a long list of the same names segregated by the "Season" (year).

mroberts48

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
We rely heavily in our house on streaming from iTunes to the Apple TVs by way of home sharing. I've held off on the updates in order to make sure there are no major bugs. I'm concerned about the reports of macs going to sleep and home sharing cutting off. Are others having this issue as well, or are they isolated incidents?

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Now if only the Movies list would do something the "1" used to have: support the "Show" field so that multi-episode movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc could all go into their own (Show) folder. For example, tag the 6 Star Wars films with the Show tag "Star Wars" and they show as a single line item in the movie list. Click that line item to yield a list of the 6 movies. This shortens the movie list in a logical, intuitive way.

Yep I agree ... as do many others I'm sure...

Another bonus to this would be that once navigated into a 'franchise' folder all the individual movies would default sort to the release year instead of alpha so franchises that didn't name their individual movies XXXX I , XXXX II, XXXX III etc would still be presented in the proper order.

The Alien franchise comes to mind as does Die Hard and Harry Potter as well as Indiana Jones, Road Warrior, Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc etc etc.

Yea that would certainly be nice... As would reorganizing the TV shows so only the Show Title appears on the top most level and only when you select it are you shown folders for each individual season. I hear the new iTunes does this now so there's hope ...

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Yep I agree ... as do many others I'm sure...

Another bonus to this would be that once navigated into a 'franchise' folder all the individual movies would default sort to the release year instead of alpha so franchises that didn't name their individual movies XXXX I , XXXX II, XXXX III etc would still be presented in the proper order.

The Alien franchise comes to mind as does Die Hard and Harry Potter as well as Indiana Jones, Road Warrior, Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc etc etc.

Yea that would certainly be nice... As would reorganizing the TV shows so only the Show Title appears on the top most level and only when you select it are you shown folders for each individual season. I hear the new iTunes does this now so there's hope ...

You can do this now, right click on the movie then "get info" and click on "sorting" you can put numbers in the sort field and it will put the movies in order based on that.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
You can do this now, right click on the movie then "get info" and click on "sorting" you can put numbers in the sort field and it will put the movies in order based on that.

Yes I know but it's a kludge workaround and still has the problem of having all the 'franchise' films lumped in with the rest instead of having a single icon...

A really great example is 'James Bond - 007' every movies has its own name that doesn't remotely tie back to the franchise name, I think a lot of people would agree grouping all the bond films under a 'James Bond - 007' top folder would be a really nice idea.

As I stated above Apple has now done this with TV shows ( all be it in iTunes only) so you don't have 10 different folders ( at the top level ) for Smallville or Stargate or X Files or Seinfeld or MASH or any number of very long running seasons ... Heck if you had each of those shows in full you'd have 50+ top level folders just for 5 TV shows. If you also had the complete Star Trek shows you'd be looking at nearly 30 more top level folders.

While grouping movie franchises would be a 'nice touch' I sure hope Apple provides the new TV show season groupings to AppleTV it really screams for it.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012

Not sure I understand this. So if I'm trying to sort our Harry Potter movies I should right click on each movie, get info, then sorting. Which sort field do I add a number to then?

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
Mine went through the update and install process smoothly with multiple restarts, but now I have a serious problem with my remote.

After the last restart, I went to use the device and found that it completely ignores all input from the remote. I'm stuck. I don't know what to do about this. I now have no way of interacting with my Apple TV.

If anyone has some ideas, please share. I unplugged it for a while, and there was no change when it started up again. I tried holding down the two bottom buttons on the remote for a minute; still nothing.

It is the 2nd generation Apple TV.

Thanks for any help you can provide. :confused:

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Not sure I understand this. So if I'm trying to sort our Harry Potter movies I should right click on each movie, get info, then sorting. Which sort field do I add a number to then?

In the sort field you would have it named...

Harry Potter 1

For the 1st movie in the series ... instead of its actual name.

Harry Potter 2

For the 2nd movie in the series ... instead of its actual name.

Etc etc etc

This way all the potter movies would still have their real names BUT would be listed in date order ...

Another example is the die hard series

The names in showing order are

Die Hard
Die Harder
Die Hard Again
Live Free or Die Hard

Clearly they won't get displayed in the correct order when displayed in the normal alphabetical order so you'd go to the sort name field and change them to..

Die Hard 1
Die Hard 2
Die Hard 3
Die Hard 4

Then those specific titles will be sorted using the new sort names.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Holy crapple update has been running for almost an hour. The progress bar reminds me of old downloads over 56k modems not the 100mbs internet I have. What the heck Apple?

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
In the sort field you would have it named...

Harry Potter 1

For the 1st movie in the series ... instead of its actual name.

Harry Potter 2

For the 2nd movie in the series ... instead of its actual name.

Etc etc etc

This way all the potter movies would still have their real names BUT would be listed in date order ...

Another example is the die hard series

The names in showing order are

Die Hard
Die Harder
Die Hard Again
Live Free or Die Hard

Clearly they won't get displayed in the correct order when displayed in the normal alphabetical order so you'd go to the sort name field and change them to..

Die Hard 1
Die Hard 2
Die Hard 3
Die Hard 4

Then those specific titles will be sorted using the new sort names.

Thank you! So I would include the numbered titles in "sort title" right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.