Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new iMac is going on sale around the world on Friday, November 30th. In Australia, Ben Pasternak was able to walk into his local Apple Store and buy one and has posted the first unboxing video of the new machine:

Meanwhile, Japanese site Kodawarisan has posted teardown photos showing the innards of the thin new machine.

113010-500x375.png
The new iMac tapers to a 5mm thin edge along the sides, requiring the use of a special welding technique to achieve the design.

The 21.5" iMac will go on sale today in the U.S. both in retail stores and in the online Apple store with immediate availability. The 27-inch model will be available for pre-order but won't ship until December. Stock is expected to be tight throughout 2012.

Article Link: New iMac Unboxing Video and Teardown Photos

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
If I can connect a PC to the screen, I'll buy one. Otherwise I will get a revamped MacPro when it comes out.

Last edited:

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
its sucks that it is not a retina display. I have rmbp i cant go to non retina device anymore

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
its sucks that it is not a retina display. I have rmbp i cant go to non retina device anymore

I love the rMBP as much as everybody else, but since desktops are typically further away, you probably can't see the pixels anyway. What I am more interested is the quality of the display and reduced reflections. A 21" retina would likely be cost prohibitive.

spentan

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Just placed my order. Hopefully it arrives before Christmas

27-inch iMac
Dispatches in 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers 20/12/2012 - 24/12/2012 by Standard Shipping
Part Number: Z0MS
With the following configuration:
•3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
•8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
•1TB Fusion Drive
•NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
•Magic Trackpad
•Apple Wireless Keyboard (International English) and User Guide (English)
•Accessory Kit

rodriguise

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Sparks, NV

Technically the 27" iMac already close to retina, in fact just a hear shy of the 15 RMBP. Especially since your viewing from over 2 feet. The only "real" retina displays are the iphone 4S/5 and the ipad.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
Gotta love the new iMac design.

Does it make the iMac less tall? No. (Limited by the screen height)
Does it make the iMac less wide? No. (Limited by the screen width)
Does it improve the iMac depth wise? No. (Limited by the stand)

Does it improve thermals? No. (Slightly less heat dissipated in a lot less volume)

Did Apple take away features? Yes. (Super Drive replaced with an internal plastic wedge).

Way to innovate, Apple. :rolleyes:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Nice looking design. But the thing that most excites me about this release is the new (and long overdue) anti-reflective display coating. For that reason, it might just be the first iMac I purchase since the iMac G4.

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
No Thanks Apple!

A thin edge with a backside that looks like the back end of a bus. In fact by looking at the picture of the internals, I'm more tempted to ask just how much of the new iMac is simply empty space.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
A thin edge with a backside that looks like the back end of a bus. In fact by looking at the picture of the internals, I'm more tempted to ask just how much of the new iMac is simply empty space.

Empty Space = Better Cooling

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Gotta love the new iMac design.

Does it make the iMac less tall? No. (Limited by the screen height)
Does it make the iMac less wide? No. (Limited by the screen width)
Does it improve the iMac depth wise? No. (Limited by the stand)

Does it improve thermals? No. (Slightly less heat dissipated in a lot less volume)

Did Apple take away features? Yes. (Super Drive replaced with an internal plastic wedge).

Way to innovate, Apple. :rolleyes:

Is the imac lighter? YES(by about 33% for the 27" model), this may not mean much to you, but guess what, an optical drive doesn't mean much to me. Some people move their imacs around quite a bit.

Is it quieter? That one remains to be seen, but since there is no super drive whirring up means you get rid of a potential noise source.

I for one am so happy about this new design, I cannot wait to sell my current imac and get one.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Technically the 27" iMac already close to retina, in fact just a hear shy of the 15 RMBP. Especially since your viewing from over 2 feet. The only "real" retina displays are the iphone 4S/5 and the ipad.

not true, it is retina, the rmbp screen is so much better than my non retina mbp and it is obvious

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.